Loading Die Lock Ring Upgrade

airedale

When setting up my dies on the Lee Classic Turret press things got a little tight for adjusting and locking down the die lock rings. I was using my old Lyman All American carbide set that I purchased over 50 years ago, and while I have no complaints about the quality of the ammo they produce I do not care for the way they adjust and especially the outdated locking rings and set screw system. On my single stage press they are much easier to adjust and lock down but they are rough.

So I got to looking around for rings to replace the OEMs and found Lee's "Finger Tighten Lock Rings", no wrench or screw driver needed although they do have a small wrench that is a help if using in real tight setups. I have to say these rings work as advertised and are so much better that any of the nut style locking rings, the secret is the rubber gasket, a simple idea that is a game changer.

I like them so much that I am going to change out the nut style rings on all of my older die sets, a before and after below.

Al 

2020-04-16_164147.png

2020-04-16_164110.png

2020-04-16_164229.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Wow, for 50 year old dies they sure are shiny. Guess I'll have to put my 40 year old dies in the sonic cleaner and then polish.

I like Lee equipment. I have many Lee die sets and a turret press that are 30 and 40 years old. My presses, turrets and progressives have changeable die plates. Set the pita lock rings once and and leave it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DDT said:

Wow, for 50 year old dies they sure are shiny

LOL, they are not shiny because of being polished, they shine because back in those days many die manufacturers plated their stuff to keep them nice.

The dies on the right are old Bair machine tool dies also over 50 years old and they were chrome plated, Bair was partnered with and later bought out by Pacific tool and also chrome plated their dies, went by "DuraChrome", and I like both sets very much. "Pacific" was later bought out by Hornady. 

Al

2020-04-17_130452.png

Edited by airedale