just looking for tips and help

myke123

so my story starts like this im 32 yrs old i started hunting big game 10 years ago only shotgun i do not own any land so there for i hunt state land which would be canadice/hemlock stateland water shed i have a area were not many hunters hunt because you have to go threw a swamp to get to my spot but i was lucky to get permission to cut threw a landowners land thats behind stateland but anyways i been hunting this spot for 10 yrs now and ive always been if its brown its down just wanted meat but now im a bow hunter for the last three yrs and im all about bucks the thing is i always gotten does out of this spot except for one buck it was a 6 pointer with a 19" spread which i was happy about but the thing is i want a big buck since bow hunting 3 yrs now ive took 2 6 pointers and a little basket 7 and ive seen 20 or more 4-6 pointers never seen anything bigger i dont know why there is a lot of guys shot gun hunting but not bow hunting in my area the real ? is do you think theres bigger bucks there i never seen anything bigger then a good 6 pointer and why theres food source water thick parts and feilds is it me or the place do i give up on this spot or do i keep at it there is 6000 acres or more but never seen anything bigger

First of all its state land there a possibility of bigger bucks.If there's

lots of hunting pressure chances are the bucks don't get a chance

to mature.2 things before moving on ask some land owners within

the area if they see bigger bucks.Try this off season a trail cam or 2

most hunters don't follow up during the off season your cams will be

safe.if there's big bucks around lots of factors go into weather you get

one or not if they are there.Find food sources find out where the does are

this is the time of the yr that your chances of a big buck are best prerut and

beginning of the rut.I hunt private land and the bigger bucks are just starting to

show themselves I might not get one of them but I know they are there.Oh

on more big factor set up several locations a mature buck will catch on real qiuck

as to a dangerous situation.I am glad you lost that its brown its down syndrome

its not good for our sport.Management's our game.Good luck.

Edited by hb270deermanager

yes i have but out trail cams got a few pics of does no bucks dont like to keep it for peroids of time cuz its state land last year there were a few scrapes i found a few rubs this year no signs yet i see a few tracks not many to find tho because of the water thats in there this year its real wet its swamp so traks disapear easy ive seen lots of deer there just no sight or sign of big bucks in the area

thanks to the people who give advice and **** to the smart asses if ya got nothing good to say find another post

i understand you got good land to hunt a you get good deer when ever you want or need and yes your the best at telling storys and making up stuff im just not that person

Are other hunters taking big bucks in the area you hunt? Even id someone is doing almost every thing wrong if there are big bucks in an area you will stumble in to one every so often provide you are spending a reasonable amount of time hunting there.

The biggest mistake any hunter makes is hunting for a class of buck that doesn't exist in the are they are hunting. If your trail camera's are not picking up a decent buck once in a while they likely aren't there,again provided your set up is well chosen.

you wanna rewrite it for me ill pay you a $1

So my story starts like this. I'm thirty-two years old, I started hunting big game 10 years ago with a shotgun only. I don't own any land, so I hunt state land. I hunt Canadice/Hemlock state land. I have an area were not many hunters hunt because you have to go through a swamp to get there. I was lucky to get permission to cut through a landowners land that's behind state land, but anyways I have been hunting this spot for ten years now.

I've always been a "If its brown it's down" guy. Just wanted meat, but now I've been bow hunting the past three years. I'm all about bucks now. I have always got does out of this area except for one buck, it was a 6 pointer with a 19" spread. Which I was happy about, but the thing is I want a big buck! Since I started bow hunting 3 yrs ago, I've taken two 6 pointers and a little basket 7, and I've seen twenty or more 4-6 pointers. Never seen anything bigger.

The real question is, do you think theres bigger bucks there? I have never seen anything bigger then a good 6 pointer! And why? There's a food source, water, thick cover and fields. Is it me or the area I hunt? Do I give up on this spot or do I keep at it? There is 6000 acres or more but I have never seen any bigger bucks.

Now that I wrapped my brain around what you were talking about...

Sounds like the area I hunt. I hunt HUGE areas of state land. There have been some massive buck taken out of those woods, but the average is a small 6. The BIG buck aren't abundant, nor are they easy to pattern. They are definitely more finicky and cautious then the type of deer that hang around my yard all year long.

If you cant even get photos of the type of deer you want, you need to find another place to hunt. That's not to say that they aren't in there, but there aren't many of them.

Since I started using cameras my luck has improved... Think about it, a camera is watching possible hunting spots for you 24/7. If you don't see the type of buck that you want pass that camera, the odds of you seeing a deer you want while hunting in that same spot/area are not too good.

I'd like to shoot bigger buck myself, but I just love to hunt where I do, so I don't move to other places. Now this year with the AR in my WMU... Jeez... I hope the program works cause I probably wont have any meat for a while...

Edited by SteveNY