The natives are getting restless

Copied from social media today......

WAKE UP & LISTEN, NY and other US States!!

Gov. Cuomo could've said, "If you’ve been quarantined for 3 weeks and are symptom free, go to your camp or cabin. Buy groceries from the local small business grocery and liquor stores. Fish from the rivers...they have been waiting all season for your return. Just exercise social distancing."

He could've...but he didn’t say that.

Gov. Cuomo could have said, "Plant a garden! New Yorkers need to get outside and work in their yards. Order supplies to be delivered from your local nursery, and spend some money there. They are stocked and ready for you!"

He could've...but he didn’t say that.

Gov. Cuomo could've said, "Take this time to work on a home project. Call your local hardware store and have them mix a gallon of paint. Pay over the phone, use social distance to pick it up."

Gov. Cuomo could've said that...but he didn’t.

He could've said, "Restaurant owners... reopen, but at just half capacity. You can only seat every other table, and wait staff must wear masks. We want you to survive, so let’s use common sense and appropriate social measures."

He could've said that...but he didn’t.

He could've said, "Landscapers who staved all winter for lack of snow...get to work! Book your jobs over the phone. Accept payment via cash apps. Work single crew jobs or small crews where you can keep your distance. Let’s work with local stores to have supplies delivered or waiting for you to pick up. We know you’re cash based, and aid hasn’t come yet. Be safe...but work!"

But he didn’t say that, either.

He could have said, "Go back to your place of worship! Sit one family per pew, and use every other pew. Practice social distancing, but go and celebrate Passover and Easter."

Oh, he could've...but he didn’t.

Sure...Walmart's still gonna Walmart, Costco's still gonna Costco and Target's still gonna Target...but NY's small business owners? They're drowning!! What did he do? He tossed them a cement block instead of a lifeline.

When will people in NY realize that he doesn’t want to help us?!?! He wants us so broke and so hungry and so desperate and so afraid that we turn in our own neighbors, we hide in fear, we stay glued to the fear-mongering news and we deplete anything we have saved! And when it’s all gone, and we are desperate and broken and depressed...who will we turn to? Why the government, of course! They're sure to save us!

Gov. Cuomo could have said and done a lot...but he didn’t. Do NOT ignore the message that man is sending us...because where he stands and what he’s about is loud and clear. You just need to wake up & listen.

***Does any of the above sound familiar? If it does, it's because it's been posted by other US citizens in other Democratic-run US states. I just changed the name of the governor. Apparently, this is going on across the country. WE ALL NEED TO WAKE UP AND LISTEN.

• Like 3

You know what else is going on across the country right now...a pandemic. A pandemic that can mutate at any time and start killing people in peak health. Its happened before with the spanish flu and can happen at any time. I dont think people are grasping the severity of this. Not the biggest fan of cuomo my self, but he sure has been doing the best job of fighting this than anyone else including the president 

• Haha 4

Address why the actions suggested in the OP would be harmful and why Cuomo's lockdown isn't a major threat to the economy and people's lives, long into the future?

People can certainly live their lives normally and still adhere to practices that will prevent the spread of this thing.

Doomsayers can always make a case for the worst.  But if we don't start acting smart about this virus crises, the financial and economic crises that will be created will be far worse than anything this virus might do.  What's coming in the economic crises isn't something that might happen.  It is certainly coming.

• Like 2

BTW, the upstate environment is very different than the crowded downstate areas.  Why not allow upstate NY to open up under the above outlined conditions?

Anyone who feels they are a high risk for the virus can continue to isolate.  Nobody will be forced to mingle.

Did you see that St. Augustine just reopened their beaches and nobody is even required to wear masks?

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

The problem with this is a downstate guy like my buddy Rich last week goes upstate hits every other rest to use the bathroom then stops at Hannaford to grocery shop hits the gas station to fuel up and use the bathroom.After a day in the house he decided to go to Walmart and do some shopping.Now times that by 100 or a thousand and there's the problem.Anyone that goes up and down on the weekend know how the traffic get on Sunday afternoon.People are to sloppy to get it right.

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

BTW, the upstate environment is very different than the crowded downstate areas.  Why not allow upstate NY to open up under the above outlined conditions?

11 hours ago, Rattler said:

Address why the actions suggested in the OP would be harmful and why Cuomo's lockdown isn't a major threat to the economy and people's lives, long into the future?

People can certainly live their lives normally and still adhere to practices that will prevent the spread of this thing.

Doomsayers can always make a case for the worst.  But if we don't start acting smart about this virus crises, the financial and economic crises that will be created will be far worse than anything this virus might do.  What's coming in the economic crises isn't something that might happen.  It is certainly coming.

Because this is a higly infectous virus. Its not like the "normal flu" like everyone is trying to make it sound. No one said this is good for the economy, but whats worse for the econmy is thousands upon thousands dying from a virus with the possibility for it being much worse. Mutation is a very REAL threat. It can mutate at literally any time, which viruses are known for doing all the time. Like I said, this is exactly what happened with the spanish flu. It kept mutating and killed millions of people. The more people infected means the higher chance of mutation. Its like the trainers of those big cats in cuircuses. Theres a chance they'll get bit and they have to plan for what they "might do."

Maybe you dont have friends and family that are currently infected with covid who arent likely to make it, but I do and its a slap in the face to those people. Also a slap in the face to my family and father who are working harder than ever as people in the medical field. Its very obvious you're getting your info from people who arent qualified with the necissary medical background for this. If pepole who have gone through years and years of intensive study of medicine are saying stay at home...maybe we should listen to those people. 

This is bad for the economy, but there are precations you have to take. An ounce of prevention is worth pounds of solutions. 

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

That's why you wear a mask and wash your hands all the time,using hand sanitizer anytime your hands cannot be washed.

Based on the reaction to the mandatory mask rule, do you really think everyone is going to wear one? The mask doesnt stop you from getting it in most cases...just stops you from passing it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.thedailybeast.com/member-of-tony-spells-life-tabernacle-church-in-baton-rouge-dies-from-coronavirus-another-member-in-icu

Tony Spell, the pastor of Life Tabernacle Church in Baton Rouge, was issued a misdemeanor summons last month for repeatedly violating a state ban on large gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic. Despite the charges, he has continued to hold services including an Easter Sunday gathering that he claimed 1,345 people attended. 

He previously claimed that his church was not at risk of being infected because coronavirus was “politically motivated.” Ahead of his Easter service, he told Reuters: “Satan and a virus will not stop us... God will shield us from all harm and sickness. We are not afraid.”

However, a church usher, 78-year-old Harold Orillion, died in Baton Rouge’s Our Lady of the Lake Hospital on Wednesday. His cause of death was listed as “acute respiratory distress syndrome, 2nd pneumonia, 2nd COVID-19,” East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner William ‘Beau’ Clark said in a statement to The Daily Beast.

Local lawyer Jeffrey Wittenbrink, who attended several church events during the pandemic and represented Life Tabernacle in its legal challenge to Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards’ religious gatherings ban, also confirmed he was on oxygen support in a hospital on Thursday after testing positive for coronavirus.

Your choice folks.  Live life and take a chance on getting the virus, or kill the economy and take a chance on starving to death.

We are dealing with more than one crises here people, except we are only paying attention to one of them.

AT, FYI.  I'm a firefighter and EMT for 30 years and I am out in the field every day with people from all over.  My daughter and sister are in Nursing.  My mother was too.  My family owns and operates a funeral home.  I think I have enough experience in this area to speak about it.

Here in Delaware County, people are not getting infected and only a few have died, and there is great skepticism if they died from the virus.  But people are being financially ruined and see no hope of surviving this thing economically.  I'm not going to sit back and watch it happen without a fight.

• Like 2

I won't have to.  The protests against government over reach have already begun and the state's governors are already feeling the heat.  The public will force the issue and take the decision out of the hands of governors that never had any legitimate authority to mandate any of these economy killing lock downs.  Small business organizations in PA have already filed a lawsuit against Gov. Wolf for prohibiting their right to earn a living.  NJ folks are threatening to do the same.  People in Upstate NY will probably follow. The pendulum is starting to swing.  People have nothing to lose anymore and I fully support their fight.

Edited by Rattler

You know what else is going on across the country right now...a pandemic. A pandemic that can mutate at any time and start killing people in peak health. Its happened before with the spanish flu and can happen at any time. I dont think people are grasping the severity of this. Not the biggest fan of cuomo my self, but he sure has been doing the best job of fighting this than anyone else including the president 

Agreed 100% plus the big miss from rattler is asymptotic transmission is the biggest way this virus is spreading. The ignorance of some people is insane. The scary part is if you watch Fox News is so detached from reality that it doesn’t surprise me that people like rattler post what they do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Anyone who feels they are a high risk for the virus can continue to isolate.  Nobody will be forced to mingle.
Did you see that St. Augustine just reopened their beaches and nobody is even required to wear masks?

And Florida cases continue to rise ignorance is insane

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

And how many people are dying from it?  Elderly, sickly and diabetic mostly.  They should stay home.  The rest may not have to.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/massachusetts-researchers-tested-people-on-the-street-for-coronavirus-antibodies-one-third-had-them?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

I guess you're either just simply ignoring what we're saying or you just dont understand what I said before. BTW my cousin is not elderly, sick or diabetic and niether was my brothers classmate from when he was in high school. Key word in the last part is "was" since he's no longer with us. Your link only proved chefs point too. Research the behaviors of viruses before you just start posting links thinking you're showing us something useful about covid

Currently the virus is said to have a 98% survival rate, and that is probably much higher if many more people have the antibodies, indicating they had it and lived.  Perhaps some people are more susceptible, but is that a reason to destroy the entire US economy?  We raise the speed limit and accept 10% more deaths for ever 10 mph increase over 55 mph.

Dude, you're incredibly dense and living in a bubble. Completely ignoring all the facts of the danger I literally spelled out for you. You're trying to say that a 2 percent mortality rate is all good with you pretty much and f all those people who are going to die. The percentages are also much higher for people over 60, people with auto immune diseases, people with cancer, or people on chemo...which happen add up to millions of people in the US alone. Congrats on being selfish and only caring about your own opinion. You're literally coming at me with the same things each response and refuse to even look at what im saying...nice way to look dumb.  

Im done with this thread. Hopefully the more sensible members on here are reading the FACTS that I have stated and do some research on it. Disputing them is like disputing that 1+1=2. 

• Like 1

2% of the US populace is 6 million people.  And they argument is that people die anyway but it isn't 6 million people who were going to die so might as well let it be C19.  No, this is 6 million on top of the people who were going to die anyway.  I rather not sacrifice those lives just so that I can afford another vacation and get a hair cut.

• Like 1

And Florida cases continue to rise ignorance is insane

Florida cases starting to rise because up until a couple of days ago they were not letting everyone get tested. Now the requirements have been moved so low, at least 18 years old and have had to be around someone that you think is positive, as well as increasing times available for testing, all if these things are increasing positive test results.

These people just didnt catch it they have had it for weeks, and probably are on the recovery portion or the virus scale, but will still show up positive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rattler said:

I'm not going to sit back and watch it happen without a fight.

From that to this. 

7 hours ago, Rattler said:

People have nothing to lose anymore and I fully support their fight.

So, you’re not actually going to anything other than post about it on a forum? That’ll show them. 

You should march. You’ll be in great company.

4E4CE495-2EA1-458A-BBEB-9F4B666592EA.thumb.jpeg.7e731ee9bd8a9895386a63a92a067a80.jpeg

Do any of you lefties actually work or do you all live off of govt assistance?

Some of you are not listening.  If you are a high risk individual, stay home.

Only 2% of the infected may die from the virus.  Not everyone of the citizens in the US will get the virus. So we will not see anything near 2 million deaths.

Lefty, you trying to twist what I said with snippets of quotes again.  Are you angling for a job at CNN?  I'm out there every day marching among the general population and talking to everyone who will listen.  Many people are listening.  Of course they are open minded and looking for a re-opening strategy.  I hear you saying we should not be looking for one.  How do you make a living?

Edited by Rattler

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

Currently the virus is said to have a 98% survival rate, and that is probably much higher if many more people have the antibodies, indicating they had it and lived.  Perhaps some people are more susceptible, but is that a reason to destroy the entire US economy?  We raise the speed limit and accept 10% more deaths for ever 10 mph increase over 55 mph.

Is 98% survivability the new spin on 2% mortality? That's clever, nicely done.

Let's compare traffic fatality rates since you want to use that as an example. Traffic fatalities are 1.42 per 10,000. That's a .000142 mortality rate or a 99.999% survival rate.

I used an online calculator for this because I suck at math, so if it's wrong, please let me know, I won't be offended. 

The chances of dying from Covid-19 is 1.4 million times higher than dying in a car accident. Now, I know this is skewed since not everyone will contract the disease, and most people will ride in a vehicle. Still, that's a staggering number.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehicle/historical-fatality-trends/deaths-and-rates/

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/algebra/percent-change-calculator.php

Edited by Splitear_Leland