Who’s still shooting a 10 or 12ga?

Buckmaster7600

I shoot 3.5” 12 bore Winny XR #5’s to see how crazy tight they are on paper but also tested a bunch of TSS loads which definitely opened up the pattern to more what I like. So that’s what I hunt with.  I’ve toted my daughters youth 20 a bunch and really like the set up. 

It's been a great gun, I don't recall ever having it bobble.  If my memory serves me, I got it in 1999 but painted it 4-5 years ago.  I killed plenty of waterfowl and turkey with it in it's stock form but a few gobblers bugged out one year and I didn't know why so decided to rattle can it.  Added the red dot a few years ago too......

I might have a picture or two to share, let me check. :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

12 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

It's been a great gun, I don't recall ever having it bobble.  If my memory serves me, I got it in 1999 but painted it 4-5 years ago.  I killed plenty of waterfowl and turkey with it in it's stock form but a few gobblers bugged out one year and I didn't know why so decided to rattle can it.  Added the red dot a few years ago too......

I might have a picture or two to share, let me check. :)

A small piece of me died when you painted that gun like some Los Angeles  area overpass...

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

A small piece of me died when you painted that gun like some Los Angeles  area overpass...

Pre box car paint job, just for you Tacks.......:)

trO39Y2.jpg

Dukq2HK.jpg

She sure was purty though, I won't disagree on that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 ga. westernfield with whatever choke the barrel came with. I sorted through my turkey shells and it is a mixed bag of green ones, red ones, and maroon ones. They are all 2  3/4 because I have no interest the 3 and 3  1/2 inch shells because of the heavy recoil. I hunt up close and personal or I don't shoot. For me, getting them inside 30 yards is how I enjoy turkey hunting. I like to run and gun after the initial fly down set up. I have a few good spots with long ridges and guts and valleys that make it effective and fun.

6 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Pre box car paint job, just for you Tacks.......:)

trO39Y2.jpg

Dukq2HK.jpg

She sure was purty though, I won't disagree on that.

I love you, Good Buddy, but you never should have painted that shotgun...

I have just removed you from my will...You will no longer inherit my Browning Superposed Diana Grade....

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I love you, Good Buddy, but you never should have painted that shotgun...

I have just removed you from my will...You will no longer inherit my Browning Superposed Diana Grade....

I hesitated for quite a few years before I did it but I don't regret it,  yet. :)

Plus....It'd probably strip off pretty easy if I ever (doubtful though) went to a lightweight 20ga.  I've had to splash a little more on a couple times where it has rubbed off.

• Like 1

I'm a little late as usual but here's my 870 super magnum Express 12 ga. I painted it years ago, I need to touch it up and paint the pistol grip stock to match. My son gave me the new stock 4-5 years ago, I  waited to paint it as I wasn't sure I was going to like it? I  guess it's time!

20200425_095121.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Looks like an assault weapon.  :)

Yeah, looks pretty scary to me too, Larry...I think he should turn it in to the authorities and buy himself something that Joe Biden would approve of, like a double barrel....

• Like 1

Okay... I've long been curious what my "turkey" guns weigh, but you know, not curious enough to bother to weigh them.  But they all happen to be out of the safe, and it's raining (surprise), so why not.

The surprise to me is the NEF, I thought it would weigh more. It is lighter than factory stock, slightly. They come with a big bar of steel in the stock for weight/balance. Years ago I had bought a mercury stock insert for a rifle my father had. He sold the rifle and it never got used, so I swapped it and a spacer for the bar of steel. 

NEF10

7080F70A-B601-4E77-8798-100F29A998B3.jpe

SBE 2 28" barrel

67113650-8732-4282-BBFA-77FE279704FB.jpe

SBE 1 19" barrel (w/ ext mag tube) 

2CC8D2CF-8DC4-47A1-B223-E0DB32A8C626.jpe

Though it weighs 2 lbs more, the NEF might be the easiest to carry because of how small the receiver is, easy to grasp. (I don't sling) 

Nice, Taco Tim  !!..  However, the beauty of hunting out of a blind, is not NEEDING to cut the shine on your shotgun..Hehehe...

I camo taped my shiny Rem 1100 and Browning Citori for years, until I finally bought the camo 11-87 in the early 90s, at which time it became my main turkey slayer...

However, now that I sit my old fat butt in a popup blind, I don't have to worry about such things ….Hehehe....

• Like 1