I’m having stand placement anxiety

regulat0r

I recently obtained permission to hunt a great property for next bow season. I put out some cams in January and I had a ton of deer including several mature bucks. 
Here’s my dilemma... the perfect spot for a stand is 100 yards past the property line- which is a stone wall. The 2 large properties come to a natural funnel. I spoke to the other property owner and there are already other guys that gun hunt it so I will not be allowed to, even during bow season. 
Today I spent 2 hours scouting the new property. Several deer trails, rubs, and scat everywhere. I would stand at a tree which I would think is great for a stand, then see another tree 75 yards away which I think is better. I spent 2 hours walking back and forth from tree to tree to tree. 
Anybody have any advice in selecting the best spot, factors to focus on, etc?  Thanks!

Get some sort  of mobile set up and pick your best spots. Then see what happens when you are in there,real data. Try to find the best way to get in and out without the deer catching on,i think that one is a big deal if you are after mature bucks. I think that was one of my biggest mistakes so far in my hunting career.

I will try to not hunt the same spot twice this fall, unless I have good reason to.

3 major factors in placing a stand , after finding what sign/ trail your going to hunt by looking at elevations, cover/ edge are:

1. wind you want to be able to set a stand that allows access into and exit that doe not blow to where you expect deer to come from.

2. Cover  will you must  have adequate cover.from a reasonable height,  cover will dictate how high you need to set up, maybe 4ft in a cedar tree or 18 in. A beech.. 

3. Distance  you want your expected shot to be 12 to 18 yards from expected shot. 

IT IS BETTER TO PLACE A STAND TO GET A DEER THAT YOU MIGHT SEE THAN ,PLACE A STAND TO SEE DEER YOU MAY GET A CHANCE AT. 

To many time we try and be visual and see a long distance , or look for a perfect tree, the wind direction and 12 to 18 yards from the point of shot will tell you what tree you need to be in. It maybe crooked and this is why I find hangons superior to ladder and climbers.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...