Tuning a Prime bow

BKhunter

Hey all,

I’m tuning my prime which was set up my a pro shop. Shooting a bare shaft through paper at about 5-6 ft I’m getting a bad tear which I can’t tell if it is nock high left or nock low right. I believe it is low right. The first three arrows shot are the far right three in the photo the furthest left is with 1 turn let off from the flex is bolt attached to the riser and the second from the left is with two turns off. The bolt was originally all the way cranked down. Not sure what the issue is here as this is my first go at tuning. Can anyone lend some ideas?a5daa7eae970ac935779ccd858f052c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

Why not shoot a fletched arrow ? 

This is my first go around with tuning a bow myself. From what I am told/read, getting a bare shaft tuned first is the way to go, but what do I know. Seems if the arrow was fletched or not I am still at a loss here. Seems the adjustments I made didn't look like it changed much, so not sure if there are other issues at play here.

Just now, Jeremy K said:

Are the bolts you are turning the limb bolts?  

No, the Prime has this Flexion system (cable gaurd). Apparently this system helps adjust your left to right on the Prime's. The bolt I was adjusting is what connects this to the riser.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

This is my first go around with tuning a bow myself. From what I am told/read, getting a bare shaft tuned first is the way to go, but what do I know. Seems if the arrow was fletched or not I am still at a loss here. Seems the adjustments I made didn't look like it changed much, so not sure if there are other issues at play here.

If you cant tell which way the tear is, the fletching will help you figure it out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

No, the Prime has this Flexion system (cable gaurd). Apparently this system helps adjust your left to right on the Prime's. The bolt I was adjusting is what connects this to the riser.

What kind of rest are you shooting

Just now, BKhunter said:

I have no experience with Prime but Id still get your nock and centershot correct before messing with that cable guard. Nock height first

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

And id put those limb bolts back where they were or back them out equally, you shouldnt mess with them unless you want to change the draw weight

I was not messing with the limb bolts. The draw weight has stayed the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm just throwing ideas out that come to mind so don't beat me up if they are silly , the rest is timed properly ? 

I believe so. Again, this is the first time I am tuning a bow myself so not 100% certain of all the things I need to be looking for. I just bought my own press and draw board so I am going through thew motions as a complete newb.

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

And like Jeremy said maybe shoot at least one fletched shaft just so youre absolutely sure what kind of hole youre getting

Shot a fletched arrow and thank you for that suggestion. I am actually shooting nock low right

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Try moving you rest down slightly to see how the tear reacts . 

I was looking at this and if I lower the rest I will have clearance issues I beleive, so I may need to raise my nock point. Unfortunately the shop burned the ties down pretty good so it looks like D loop pliers and D look materials need to be ordered unless you guys think regular needle nose will work and I can reuse what they tied again?

13 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

I was looking at this and if I lower the rest I will have clearance issues I beleive, so I may need to raise my nock point. Unfortunately the shop burned the ties down pretty good so it looks like D loop pliers and D look materials need to be ordered unless you guys think regular needle nose will work and I can reuse what they tied again?

The launcher will hit if you lower it ?