What type of .30-06 ammunition to use for deer hunting?

mossy725

Votex ammo is $40 a box to buy. Check out the price yourself. Barnes isn't cheap stuff at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm aware of what it costs and you're not wrong, by the time I pay shipping it's no cheaper than what I get it for from my supplier is all. I get all my ammo from a dealer in NH he gives me a good deal and I pay no tax.

15 hours ago, eagle rider said:

Barnes Vortex ammo copper fouls barrels badly. First hand experience. Cleaning is a nightmare. On the other hand if you love them I'll sell you 10 boxes of Vortex 168 gr. 30-06. I'd be happy part with them.

I think that depends more on the barrel than the bullet. Ive seen barrels that don't foul up at all from barnes and some that foul up pretty bad. If i didnt already have 3 boxes and use 180gr id probably buy a couple boxes from you. 

Just go out and buy any 150gr. Round from any of the major manufactures. You trying to kill a 150lb deer on average. You do not need 180gr bullet made for elk and moose. It may not expand well in a white tail.

Need? Maybe not. My style of hunting "tracking/still hunting" I very rarely have broadside shots and I want 2 holes. I want to know my bullet will go from "hooter ta tooter or tooter ta hooter." My 06's that I use are sighted in for Barnes 180gn because I know they will penetrate expand and hold weight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Need? Maybe not. My style of hunting "tracking/still hunting" I very rarely have broadside shots and I want 2 holes. I want to know my bullet will go from "hooter ta tooter or tooter ta hooter." My 06's that I use are sighted in for Barnes 180gn because I know they will penetrate expand and hold weight.

Yep there good 

38 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just go out and buy any 150gr. Round from any of the major manufactures. You trying to kill a 150lb deer on average. You do not need 180gr bullet made for elk and moose. It may not expand well in a white tail.

I have used even  rem  220gr in my 30-06 for deer  i really dont see any down side to using them unless you are  taking really long shots maybe . 

You have to use what your rifle likes and shoots well, doesn't matter what brand. 10 shots all over the place on a paper plate isn't OK. Shoot the ammo that gets you the best groups from your rifle.

I somewhat disagree, terminal performance takes #1 priority to me. I couldn't care less if there are some ammo that might shoot 3/4" groups out of my gun. Ammo that performs inside a deer the way I need it to is what I want even if it only shoots 1 1/2" groups.

• Like 1

On Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM, mossy725 said:

Wondering what everyone thought in regards to .30-06 ammunition for deer hunting? This is the first year my area is allowed to use rifle, so I was curious.

I've been looking into Winchester Super-X ammo (180 grain).

Thoughts/opinions?

Just looking for a lot of stopping power up to 150-200 yards.

Thanks.

in general  always go for the heavier grain bullet . Unless you are going for really long shots and dont use a range finder  to adjust for bullet drop . 

That being said with a 30-06 your going to kill deer with what ever bullet you use if you hit them right . If your going to be stalking deer tracking deer .  Where your taking shots at not the most ideal angles .  Definitely go for the heavier bullet.

Maybe I'm just lucky cause I'm not that good but I've never had a deer take a second step using a 150 gr bullet from a 30-06. And for semi auto shooters be really weary about heavier bullets. They can actually damage the action due to longer pressure curves.

9 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I somewhat disagree, terminal performance takes #1 priority to me. I couldn't care less if there are some ammo that might shoot 3/4" groups out of my gun. Ammo that performs inside a deer the way I need it to is what I want even if it only shoots 1 1/2" groups.

Valid point. Nothing wrong with 1 1/2" groups, even 3". I still stick with you have to shoot the ammo your rifle likes to shoot. IMO, 8" all over the place groups are not being very ethical to the deer. Best shot placement comes from better groups. Like i said, JMO.

Valid point. Nothing wrong with 1 1/2" groups, even 3". I still stick with you have to shoot the ammo your rifle likes to shoot. IMO, 8" all over the place groups are not being very ethical to the deer. Best shot placement comes from better groups. Like i said, JMO.

I own about 40 rifles and I don't own one that that shoots an 8" group. I don't own one that shoots a 4" group. There is something wrong with a modern rifle that shoots factory ammo into a 4" group.

The whole find the ammo that shoots best is a complete waste of money for a very large percentage of hunters especially
In NY. I would love to see the statistics but I would guess that over 90% of deer shot in NY are shot at under 100yds. Even if your rifle shoots a 3" group and you want to stay inside the 8" pie plate that give you a max effective range of 266yds. 266yds is a distance that most hunters shouldn't be shooting at because most have never practiced it.

Not saying accuracy isn't important I just think it's way over emphasized.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not saying accuracy isn't important I just think it's way over emphasized.

I am not trying to argue, but I do not agree with this at all. If more people paid attention to accuracy, from guns and bows, I think there would be a lot less lost deer. Again, JMO, and I am done about accuracy, as it doesn't matter to some.

But, to the original topic, just shoot what you want. 

I am not trying to argue, but I do not agree with this at all. If more people paid attention to accuracy, from guns and bows, I think there would be a lot less lost deer. Again, JMO, and I am done about accuracy, as it doesn't matter to some.

Not trying to argue either and I completely agree with you.

If people are focusing on accuracy than they are practicing and that is something that most don't do nearly enough.