Early or late season?

nybuckboy

1 minute ago, GreenDrake said:

I have killed most of mine early season. I think a lot depends on how much pressure a particular area gets as the season unfolds. I had some easy kills the last week,  but I am usually fly fishing the Delaware as much as possible the second half of May. 

Do you feel the toms respond better early then?

I’ve killed most and my biggest late season. I think most of that is based on higher grass and thicker undergrowth aids my preferred method of running and gunning. That being said I’ve killed a lot of birds on opening day but I spend a lot of time scouting and patterning the bird I’ll kill on opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of my kills have come in early season, usually the first couple days. I haven't hunted much the last 5 or 6 years though. I have a friend that is in his 70s and the best turkey hunter I know. He has killed some slammer turkeys at the very end of the season.

34 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I'm old enough to remember the split season 1 bird in 1-15 , and your second had to be 16- 31. Hunted under that and I continue to do so.. i wish they would go back to it in all honesty. ..

I HATED that, and it made no sense...I'd kill a bird the frist few days and then have to sit around and fan my ass for nearly two weeks before I could hunt again...

• Like 1

References to biggest birds at end of season confuses  me.  They’ve lost weight running all over trying to breed hens   Solely by chance you killed a heavy bird if that’s what you guys are referring to at end of season. Early season makes more sense.  Same goes for deer 

Most of my birds were tipped over first 2 weeks.  Decent amount last weeks but first few dominate. I love being out there the last 2 when woods and canopy have filled out.  Betting some of you dont / didn’t do well last 2 weeks as you’re burnt out from 3 am wake ups / fishing got in the way / yard work / frustrated 

21 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I HATED that, and it made no sense...I'd kill a bird the frist few days and then have to sit around and fan my ass for nearly two weeks before I could hunt again...

But it removed the successful hunters allowing less pressure on remaining birds especially on state land.  On private the birds went back to natural patterns  .  As the saying goes 10% of hunters take 90% of game.. besides if you were done in 2 days then you sat around the whole rest of the month...

Both have their advantages.  Birds are easier to call later on and I have also killed my biggest birds in the last week.  Fewer bugs early on, as others have mentioned.  I love the first few hunts because it's brand new again.  I enjoy the later hunts when people have moved on to other pursuits and the hens are nesting.

References to biggest birds at end of season confuses  me.  They’ve lost weight running all over trying to breed hens   Solely by chance you killed a heavy bird if that’s what you guys are referring to at end of season. Early season makes more sense.  Same goes for deer 
Most of my birds were tipped over first 2 weeks.  Decent amount last weeks but first few dominate. I love being out there the last 2 when woods and canopy have filled out.  Betting some of you dont / didn’t do well last 2 weeks as you’re burnt out from 3 am wake ups / fishing got in the way / yard work / frustrated 

I see what you’re saying jay but I don’t think toms chase hens like you described. I think the reason why every one of my 20+lb birds have come in the last 2 weeks has a few variables, more feed, they’re usually the dominant bird so they’re henned up earlier in the year and they’re just harder to kill so the added foliage helps trick them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I see what you’re saying jay but I don’t think toms chase hens like you described. I think the reason why every one of my 20+lb birds have come in the last 2 weeks has a few variables, more feed, they’re usually the dominant bird so they’re henned up earlier in the year and they’re just harder to kill so the added foliage helps trick them.

IMHO,  that is the main reason that bigger birds are killed later in the season...They are nearly always henned up early, and the later you get in the season, the better chance that you will find that one morning, or perhaps that one HOUR that  the bird doesn't have a hen nearby, and that's when he is most vulnerable....

• Like 1

But
a gobbler's weight seems to diminish as the season progresses due to its focus on breeding and the lack of concern for feeding. Agree on boss gobbler henned up early in season and gets vocal when hens aren’t around and then we get a better crack at him.

Since weight is mandatory for reporting, how do you guys weigh your turkeys? my bog grip only goes to 15lbs. So do I hold it and stand on scale to see the difference? 

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I got real lucky one year and while setup on a roosted tom noticed all the hens in the trees between us. I walked right by them and setup on that tom. The hens didnt bust out but didnt make a sound and I think that made him crazy he gobbled his head off, flew down, and I shot his head off. I think theyd have taken him away from me otherwise

• Like 1

Since weight is mandatory for reporting, how do you guys weigh your turkeys? my bog grip only goes to 15lbs. So do I hold it and stand on scale to see the difference? 

Most people guess, that’s why there’s a lot of 20+lb birds shot, much like 200lb deer. I use a 55lb digital fishing scale.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Brecknell_ElectroSamson_Scale/descpage-BRECK.html?from=gshop&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_eSojd_56AIVx4CfCh2S4wjdEAQYAiABEgIa0PD_BwE

• Like 2