Early or late season?

nybuckboy

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

References to biggest birds at end of season confuses  me.  They’ve lost weight running all over trying to breed hens   Solely by chance you killed a heavy bird if that’s what you guys are referring to at end of season. Early season makes more sense.  Same goes for deer 

Most of my birds were tipped over first 2 weeks.  Decent amount last weeks but first few dominate. I love being out there the last 2 when woods and canopy have filled out.  Betting some of you dont / didn’t do well last 2 weeks as you’re burnt out from 3 am wake ups / fishing got in the way / yard work / frustrated 

Main breeding is done by beginning of may, they then start feeding a lot more and displaying less ,and start to put weight back on. Of course like all men a sexy call may drag them away for a quicky later in season. Usually a nest or two fail and a hen will rented, that is what we are capitalizing on in late season.. though heaviest birds are fall birds by far

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Main breeding is done by beginning of may, they then start feeding a lot more and displaying less ,and start to put weight back on. Of course like all men a sexy call may drag them away for a quicky later in season. Usually a nest or two fail and a hen will rented, that is what we are capitalizing on in late season.. though heaviest birds are fall birds by far

I think a lot of nests may fail this year, this has been a MISERABLE weather month. Its snowing again right now

But
a gobbler's weight seems to diminish as the season progresses due to its focus on breeding and the lack of concern for feeding. Agree on boss gobbler henned up early in season and gets vocal when hens aren’t around and then we get a better crack at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they bred in February I would agree, but in May there is so much food available everywhere a turkey lives that they don’t have to spend much time feeding to keep their stomachs full.

I have never killed a Turkey......I have never taken it very seriously and have only gone a couple of times. Usually there are a million other things to do with the nice weather in May. However, this year I am all in and excited about it. I am just looking forward to having something to do....I purchased a New Beretta Outlander Turkey edition. Patterned it Sunday. I was surprised to find that the Winchester longbeards patterned better than the ultra expensive TSS shells that I bought 3 boxes of...Picked up a blind and bought a couple hen decoys. Got a box call and mouth call and have been practicing....If I don't get a Turkey this season, it won't be from lack of trying....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Ive killed more turkey in the early season, but I have called in a few nice birds in the late season. This year might be different as I only have one shell left for turkey so it might be a one turkey limit for me until gun shops open back up lol 

I don't know if you have a Runnings near you but I was able to get TSS shells and Winchester long beards at Runnings last Saturday...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

But
a gobbler's weight seems to diminish as the season progresses due to its focus on breeding and the lack of concern for feeding. Agree on boss gobbler henned up early in season and gets vocal when hens aren’t around and then we get a better crack at him.

I can see the logic, but it doesn't work that way in my experience.  Were the 20-22lb birds I shot much heavier on May 1?  Could be.  It just doesn't seem to me that toms "rut" like deer.  I agree they don't seem to show much interest in food, but they also don't chase the way bucks do.

I have shot 20lb birds early in the season, but only by calling in the hens.  My biggest birds were shot the last week, and came in to calling more like a 2 year old.

12 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Ive killed more turkey in the early season, but I have called in a few nice birds in the late season. This year might be different as I only have one shell left for turkey so it might be a one turkey limit for me until gun shops open back up lol 

Use any old bird shot #8-#4 and get within 30 yards.  Don't limit yourself!

• Like 2

Really not  fan of using lead shot (I use hevi-shot), but I might have no choice this year

I would put something else in the gun besides your 1 heavy shot. I would hate to have a wounded bird get away because you only had 1 shell

Leads killed a lot of birds, nothing to worry about there.

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would put something else in the gun besides your 1 heavy shot. I would hate to have a wounded bird get away because you only had 1 shell

Leads killed a lot of birds, nothing to worry about there.

I was planning on putting some regular lead shells behind it. Definitely not doubting the effectivness of lead, just dont want to be eating lead shot. 

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I think a lot of nests may fail this year, this has been a MISERABLE weather month. Its snowing again right now

They are still laying now or starting to sit, weather 4 to 6 weeks from now will be the main factor. 

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If they bred in February I would agree, but in May there is so much food available everywhere a turkey lives that they don’t have to spend much time feeding to keep their stomachs full.

Exactly why after winter and breeding in april they feed on abundant greens and bugs and add weight quick, much like a buck after rut, they can still breed but are back on late season food sources fattening up .

20 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I was planning on putting some regular lead shells behind it. Definitely not doubting the effectivness of lead, just dont want to be eating lead shot. 

If you can get lead into the body of a Turkey your aiming at wrong spot or are way to close.  Those body feathers are like armor plate. 

• Like 1

About the same as my heaviest NY bird, 22 1/2 lb.   Second heaviest was 22 1/4....

However I have killed heavier birds out of state...23 lb. in VA, and 24  and 24 1/2 in Kentucky.. My best spurs were 1 7/16 " and they were from  a NY bird taken on The Mermaid's property shortly after she and I got together.. Probably cemented our relationship, but don't tell HER that....Hehehe..

I never took an 11" beard.. Longest was 10 3/4" and I could count the beards over 10" on one hand... Lots and lots of 8" to 9 1/2", but 10 inch beards have been rare for me, although I have taken a number of real heavy beards, plus 5 or 6 doubles, one triple and one quadruple...

• Like 2

Is there any other game that gets “easier” as the season goes on?

I mostly deer hunt...feed patterns (pretty “easy”) gives way to chase/rut (“easiest” for big boy to mess up) LOCKDOWN! And late rut.... I get there are always late patterns for any species but it sounds like late season offers greater success for turkey- can’t think of any other game like that

I mostly deer hunt...feed patterns (pretty “easy”) gives way to chase/rut (“easiest” for big boy to mess up) LOCKDOWN! And late rut.... I get there are always late patterns for any species but it sounds like late season offers greater success for turkey- can’t think of any other game like that

In my experience the pressure lessens as the season goes on. Walleye opens and half the turkey hunters switch to that. The hot weather arrives and I’m OUT lol, I won’t deal with the bugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Tracking! The old boys get tired and don’t put on any where near the miles in a day! I would rather track on dec 1st than nov 1st 500 to 1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Tracking! The old boys get tired and don’t put on any where near the miles in a day! I would rather track on dec 1st than nov 1st 500 to 1

All of the best trackers i know say the same. They hate tracking in the peak rut, but they'll do it if they have snow

• Like 1