Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

What a morning. The last bird we never thought we were gonna get because of some of pa's famous hunters. It's bad enough when they do it during adult season but to drive by a truck with birds in sight pull over bail out and run up and set up WHILE I am calling just really speaks volumes of their ethics.
I had to out call them and another guy that did the same thing on the other side of us and the 3 live hens.
Broke them down with the bomber, switched up from bomber to tcIII with 3 different strikers and back to the bomber again. The big gobbler was so close we could feel the rattle he was just on the other side of a pile of black berry bushes and the jake walked out first unfortunately.
Oh well one heck of a morning. Lots of scouting paid off big. Now to try get a gavin double by getting back to ny for tomorrow morning.31dbe4f28a6626fed5d55d7a2c12b4ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 23

53 minutes ago, reeltime said:

What a morning. The last bird we never thought we were gonna get because of some of pa's famous hunters. It's bad enough when they do it during adult season but to drive by a truck with birds in sight pull over bail out and run up and set up WHILE I am calling just really speaks volumes of their ethics.
I had to out call them and another guy that did the same thing on the other side of us and the 3 live hens.
Broke them down with the bomber, switched up from bomber to tcIII with 3 different strikers and back to the bomber again. The big gobbler was so close we could feel the rattle he was just on the other side of a pile of black berry bushes and the jake walked out first unfortunately.
Oh well one heck of a morning. Lots of scouting paid off big. Now to try get a gavin double by getting back to ny for tomorrow morning.31dbe4f28a6626fed5d55d7a2c12b4ca.jpg

3 for 3.  What a awesome morning.   Can't imagine how frustrating it must be when others ( won't call them hunters) do that kind of thing. 

3 for 3.  What a awesome morning.   Can't imagine how frustrating it must be when others ( won't call them hunters) do that kind of thing. 
Thanks. Even trying to explain what those guys did to an 8 year old she gets it but doesn't fully understand how dangerous those people actions could be.

Picked up a new box call from a guy that I went to high school with. He was a year or two ahead of me.  But I didn't know he made calls til recently.  Haven't seen him in prob 30 years.  Can't wait to use it. Made of mahogany and purple heart wood. it's beautiful and it sounds awesome. He's making a grunt call for me now too.  Met him to get call and we BS for 2 hours about hunting.  Lol. Good guy.  Website if youre interested.  http://www.foxscustomcalls.com

IMG_20200425_112747992.jpg

IMG_20200425_112735943.jpg

• Like 7

We didn’t hear any birds at all today.At 9:15 i looked behind and here comes a jake up the hill .I tell him to get ready he hits the field he’ll walk right to us ,which he did.At about 12 yards he stops he pulls the trigger and misses and the turkey runs out to 40 yards and I call he fans out comes back the other side 30 yards I tell him him shoot he says I can’t there’s a branch in the way.Now the turkey goes behind us maybe 5 yards he pulls the trigger it clicks .I didn’t realize the shell didn’t eject had to get my knife out and pry if out .I look at the boy he’s shaking I said what’s wrong , he says I don’t know must be cold lol. Oh well try again next week 

8BD658D6-D2C0-4F95-A7F8-7BE5832F2E3F.jpeg

• Like 14

Well, my daughter and I had an exciting morning and a couple cases of turkey fever!!!!

First spot had 2 jakes come in right off the roost come in to 25yds I tell her to let the the one on the right have it and the worst flinch I’ve ever seen happened and resulted in a 20ga hole in the blind just below the window. She’s gets upset I don’t know if it was because she missed or because I couldn’t stop laughing. I get her calmed down and remind her that it’s the same as shooting targets.

We head to spot number 2 and and have a 2yr old in our lap before we could get set up. I try to get her ready but wasn’t in time he passed us at 10yds and she never got a shot off. I tried calling him back but he had other plans.

Spot 3 we got setup on a plowed corn field where I knew birds have been hanging out. First call and bird hammers about 100yds away over the hill. He takes about an hour working our way hangs up at 50yds and finally came charging in and I finally yelled to stop him but he was at about 15yds and she whiffed.

We spent the afternoon shooting and I think she’s got her confidence back.

She’s shot a lot this spring and winter and has been shooting very good but she’s gotta get over the fever. Oh well it was a fun day and the birds were very vocal she’s pretty down on herself but had a blast and can’t wait for the morning. Got a few more spots to try and connect in the morning.

Congrats to those that got a bird and today and they’re mentors!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Well, my daughter and I had an exciting morning and a couple cases of turkey fever!!!!

First spot had 2 jakes come in right off the roost come in to 25yds I tell her to let the the one on the right have it and the worst flinch I’ve ever seen happened and resulted in a 20ga hole in the blind just below the window. She’s gets upset I don’t know if it was because she missed or because I couldn’t stop laughing. I get her calmed down and reming her that it’s the same as shooting targets.

We head to spot number 2 and and have a 2yr old in our lap before we could get set up. I try to get her ready but wasn’t in time he passed us at 10yds and she never got a shot off. I tried calling him back but he had other plans.

Spot 3 we got setup on a plowed corn field where I knew birds have been hanging out. First call and bird hammers about 100yds away over the hill. He takes about an hour working his way hangs up at 50yds and finally came charging in and I finally yelled to stop him but he was at about 15yds and she was whiffed.

We spent the afternoon shooting and I think she’s got her confidence back.

She’s shot a lot this spring and winter and has been shooting very good but she’s gotta get over the fever. Oh well it was a fun day and the birds were very vocal she’s pretty down on herself but had a blast and can’t wait for the morning. Got a few more spots to try and connect in the morning.

Congrats to those that got a bird and today and they’re mentors!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She might be kicking herself in the butt now, but she'll remember this day forever.   Nothing like the feeling of a shot of pure adrenaline to frig things up. 

She might not realize it now, but that feeling is addicting. Just figuring out how to work though it takes time. 

Hang in there kiddo.  You can do it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mowin said:

She might be kicking herself in the butt now, but she'll remember this day forever.   Nothing like the feeling of a shot of pure adrenaline to frig things up. 

She might not realize it now, but that feeling is addicting. Just figuring out how to work though it takes time. 

Hang in there kiddo.  You can do it. 

I’ve always said if that adrenaline dump and shakes ,heart pounding ,  finger tension holding  striker and how much pressure to put on striker goes away I’ll quit hunting turkey. 

• Like 4

Well no luck. Got a message Enigma that he spotted a bird so we moved on it but it was already gone by the time we got there.

I want to say a big thanks to Shawn  he was so helpful this weekend.  He taught my daughter and me alot.  He spoke to her so she new every step of the process.  That means alot, most people would talk to the adult over the child and he made sure he talked to her and that she was aware of every step.  Even though we didn't take a bird it was still a very successful weekend.  Made a new friend,got to hunt with my daughter,had some laughs,heard some birds.  

• Like 9

My son and I had a somewhat difficult weekend 

yesterday we heard one Tom but only saw one hen- way off from previous seasons behind our house.  Made me think we should have traveled to camp for his first season behind.he gun.

this morning we bumped a bird off the roost walking in- he couldn't believe how much noise a turkey makes trying to fly in the dark- his reaction was worth the price of admission.

we heard no gobblers this am but I convinced him to hang in there.  An hour later we had called three young toms in and he closed the deal on a bird with a 5 inch beard- not even close to the biggest bir,d I have called in but by far- not even close - the best turkey hunt  of my life.

seeing his joy was overwhelming.  

• Like 14

Holy crap I just witnessed something I have never seen in my 42 years of Turkey scouting.
I was sitting in the truck and my first listening spot I heard a couple gobblers through the wind and rain when I heard what ithought sounded like a turkey being attacked all kinds of squawking and I see something black rolling down the hill. It ended up on the road 50 yards from the truck and I see a turkey running down the middle of the road with a huge red fox 20 ft behind it chasing it.
Ar first I thought it was a hen that had been sitting on a nest as it gets closer to the truck I see the beard swinging and a turkey losing speed Fox still chasing it I start the truck and the fox turned and ran up the bank and a turkey ran past me on theroad and the fox started back down the bank again I started to pull the truck ahead and finally the fox ran up the bank again.
The Turkey continued to run north on the road so I don't know if something happened to the turkey that it couldn't fly or it was still dark enough that it didn't feel comfortable flying but I have no idea where the turkey ended up or what kind of shape he is in.
Am now at spot number 2 listening through the wind and rain and have yet to hear a peep here.
No doubt an interesting scouting trip so far. May have saved a gobblers life just to possibly shoot him later this season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Went out this morning turkey scouting. At around 6:15am I hear hen yelping of the tree , then I see her fly down and another starts yelping. Five minutes later I hear a  gobbler go off and he was about 20 yards from where I standing. The Gobbler and hen went right by at about 20 yard and they never saw me.  I was thinking to myself that was to close for comfort. 

Edited by WWJD_Hunter
  • Like 1

I think you saved the Gobbler!  It must be shook up good with some wounds.
It all happened so fast I never even thought to look at his legs for spurs. Lol. I do t have a clue what happened he sounded like he was in the tree when he gobbled but he was way up on top of a steep hill and they rarely roost that far west. I dont know heck maybe a youth hunter rolled him and damaged a wing and he was on the ground all night.
I know coyotes will slip in on early gobbling birds but never seen a fox do it. This fox was almost totally blonde colored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reeltime said:

Holy crap I just witnessed something I have never seen in my 42 years of Turkey scouting.
I was sitting in the truck and my first listening spot I heard a couple gobblers through the wind and rain when I heard what ithought sounded like a turkey being attacked all kinds of squawking and I see something black rolling down the hill. It ended up on the road 50 yards from the truck and I see a turkey running down the middle of the road with a huge red fox 20 ft behind it chasing it.
Ar first I thought it was a hen that had been sitting on a nest as it gets closer to the truck I see the beard swinging and a turkey losing speed Fox still chasing it I start the truck and the fox turned and ran up the bank and a turkey ran past me on theroad and the fox started back down the bank again I started to pull the truck ahead and finally the fox ran up the bank again.
The Turkey continued to run north on the road so I don't know if something happened to the turkey that it couldn't fly or it was still dark enough that it didn't feel comfortable flying but I have no idea where the turkey ended up or what kind of shape he is in.
Am now at spot number 2 listening through the wind and rain and have yet to hear a peep here.
No doubt an interesting scouting trip so far. May have saved a gobblers life just to possibly shoot him later this season.

Ya, don't see that every day. 

Hope Tommy makes it. 

Few years back two buddies of mine called in a tom,  within 5 seconds of the shot a fox tried grabbing the tom.  At first they were so so shocked they kinda froze. Lol.

Fox are very blood this time of year. They have young to feed, and one way or another, they will try. 

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Last year on my way to hunt, 4:30AM ish, a tom was walking down route 60 in the pitch dark. A friend told me that if for some reason a tom doesnt get to roost the night before or gets bumped off it will stay on the ground all night, maybe that was the case here?

Could be...Years ago I was bowhunting elk  near Ocate, New Mexico, and I bumped into a turkey on a trail as I was walking in in full darkness before daylight...

• Like 1