Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

I watched a coyote get a jake once when I was mowing hay and it’s a wonder there are any turkey for us to hunt. The Jake saw the dog started running dog caught up, Jake turned towards him and tried flapping his wings in defense coyote killed him. I was very surprised how little effort the Jake put into the escape. The coyote used more energy dragging him out of the field than he did killing him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was set up near a roost once and a coyote came through and barked in my face for a full 30 seconds, it sounded like a big lab type of bark and then into a howl. He saunters off and not five minutes later a tom starts gobbling right there and flies down like no big deal. He didnt give AF that a coyote was nearby. Or he forgot, which is also possible 

• Like 1

I had a Tom gobbling his head off to my left and behind me. And a yote came out to sneak up on my decoys.  Had to scare him off without scaring the turkey. Waving my hands at him as he is in field til he knew something wasn't right. 

No didn't get the gobbler. I call in dar more yotes turkey hunting than I do actual coyote hunting

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I was messing with a flock of birds in the neighbor's pasture once.  I don't have permission, so I was in the woods leaning back on a bank along a log road, cutting on a diaphragm call and making the tom gobble.  A coyote jumped OVER me from the bank behind me, ran into the pasture and scattered the flock.  I didn't even have a chance to move.  Gun was in my lap.  

I have called in 1 tom, 2 coyotes and a bobcat in that patch of woods over the years.

• Like 1

I could tell Turkey season is close . The Black Flies are out . I went on my 1 1/2 mile walk and was attacked by those darned things on the way home . Black Flies are the main reason that I stopped hunting Turkeys .  I might give it a try this spring though . 

Everything good to go. New battery in Thermacell, vest checked , optics on guns good , clothes sprayed with permithrin and hanging to dry , car loaded except guns , checked tags , Samantha n I going to listen local in morning. We thought we lost new place we landed on 2 years ago as guy getting divorced and unsure of who’ll get property but covid slowed that down.  Check back in in the morning.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Everything good to go. New battery in Thermacell, vest checked , optics on guns good , clothes sprayed with permithrin and hanging to dry , car loaded except guns , checked tags , Samantha n I going to listen local in morning. We thought we lost new place we landed on 2 years ago as guy getting divorced and unsure of who’ll get property but covid slowed that down.  Check back in in the morning.  

Thank you for reminding me to get the thermacell out.  

• Like 1

At least two gobbling..Sounded like more on the roost, but I was a few minutes late getting there...After flydown, one bird was doing most of the gobbling, probably the dominant gobbler..I wished he'd shut up after awhile..You could hear him from a half mile all the way around and he'll be drawing the attention of the local riff-raff..

I got my blind set up, all ready for Friday, and got the hell out of there...

• Like 5

Funny how that works...This morning it seems like every gobbler in the state was gobbling...Other mornings, nobody hears a peep...

I’ve never found a common denominator for that, I’ve had those days in all kinds of weather and dead
Days in all kinds of weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2