Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

they are calling for 2" of rain here thursday night.  Dunno on an early morning opener friday.......:negative:

I have Friday scheduled too, and was tipping back and forth on still taking it based on this morning's weather report. Then I saw birds in a few fields on the way to work. With the exception of a snow day in January, I haven't taken vac day since deer season. That six weeks in my vacation balance isn't going to use itself!

I set three blinds last weekend. I might get wet on the way in, but I can stay very dry all morning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I have Friday scheduled too, and was tipping back and forth on still taking it based on this morning's weather report. Then I saw birds in a few fields on the way to work. With the exception of a snow day in January, I haven't taken vac day since deer season. That six weeks in my vacation balance isn't going to use itself!

I set three blinds last weekend. I might get wet on the way in, but I can stay very dry all morning.

Sounds like a good plan. I might change to monday off dunno yet.  Last year for the opener i got soaked and got a bird! So really hate not to go.  But if its a downpour i will hold off.  Esp since i dont use a blind. 

22 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Sounds like a good plan. I might change to monday off dunno yet.  Last year for the opener i got soaked and got a bird! So really hate not to go.  But if its a downpour i will hold off.  Esp since i dont use a blind. 

The internet outlook isn't as bad as my local channel was reporting this morning.

FCast.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Awesome ! Congrats to you both. Hand rolled tss ? 

Yes, but he didnt stone him, bird dropped got up and ran and a second shot took him. So im thinking he pulled the shot, since it hit him in the back or the red dot got bumped

With both of my sons baseball teams at a stand still this will be the first may in like 3 yrs that I will have more than a couple days to hunt the entire month. 
On another note, I had been all stressed out about missing the boat for my son to youth hunt this yr then after days of feeling like I completely failed at being prepared I realize (dumb ass) he doesn’t turn 12 until May 21st. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zag said:

With both of my sons baseball teams at a stand still this will be the first may in like 3 yrs that I will have more than a couple days to hunt the entire month. 
On another note, I had been all stressed out about missing the boat for my son to youth hunt this yr then after days of feeling like I completely failed at being prepared I realize (dumb ass) he doesn’t turn 12 until May 21st. 

Take him with you for sure. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zag said:

I’ll have to devise a plan that doesn’t include my 12ga 3 1/2 turkey load, he will break his shoulder.

If he is big enough to physically handle your 12 gauge, you could have him shoot it with lighter loads..A full choke 12 gauge with standard 2 3/4  inch shells and 1 1/4 oz. loads of 6 or 7 1/2  shot will absolutely STONE  a turkey at 30-40 yards with most full choked guns..Back before 3" mags became common, high velocity 6s or 7 1/2s were considered state of the art for turkey hunting....

Most 20 gauge guns  with a mod or full choke will do the job at 30-35 yards...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Zag said:

He already took the gun course, can I get his license on line do you know?

You can not sue how fast they will process or get in mail,but best bet is wallmart if open near you. ,possibly town hall if they sell licences

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

If he is big enough to physically handle your 12 gauge, you could have him shoot it with lighter loads..A full choke 12 gauge with standard 2 3/4  inch shells and 1 1/4 oz. loads of 6 or 7 1/2  shot will absolutely STONE  a turkey at 30-40 yards with most full choked guns..Back before 3" mags became common, high velocity 6s or 7 1/2s were considered state of the art for turkey hunting....

Most 20 gauge guns  with a mod or full choke will do the job at 30-35 yards...

I shot some #6 pheasant loads from my 12 gauge with the TSS choke when we patterned the guns on Saturday. At 35 yards you wouldn't know the difference to be honest and it felt SO much better on the shoulder.

• Like 3

Zag- I had to get my son a license last week after he completed the course on line.  The only options I found locally were Walmart and the Town Clerk.

I gave a call to our Town Clerk who was very helpful and I didn't need to bring him into the Department store.  

I wouldn't worry about the heavy loads for a kid.  Have them shoot something he or she is comfortable with, and just " adjust" your range.  A 20'gauge with a # 4 game load makes them just as dead at an appropriate range and the kid is much less likely to flinch.

Edited by Billyb6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Have you ever listened to the spring woods wake up ? Most amazing experience every single time. In all this crappy covid crap It felt it even better this morning to see daybreak and simply listen. 

Some people just don't get it. I think it is the best place to be .

• Like 2

Just bought another New Jersey Turkey Permit that is good from May 4th to May 8th. And, I have my D Permit which runs from May 11th to May 22nd.     I might Hunt NY one day and NJ the next time out.      Should be an Awesome Spring for everyone. Can't wait to see all the upcoming Pics from members.

10-Tom year for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3