Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

It’s going to be raining for the next two days with thunderstorms Friday. Do you think it’s better to hunt Saturday or Sunday? Might even do both to be honest lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was planning to hunt tomorrow but now maybe Saturday instead?

I’ve always heard and found they don’t gobble well when it’s raining. And they gobble pretty hard after it’s rained a few days. That’s what I’m hoping for as well. Unless you’re hunting public land, I would say go out Saturday, but that’s just my opinion. There are much better turkey hunters on here that can tell you better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Pygmy suggested I come down Sat.  He thinks that I am more likely to get the full experience of gobbling and hearing one come in after the rain subsides.  That said, he did say you can still kill one in the rain.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I remember well what Harold Knight wrote in ( Ultimate Turkey Hunting) that he co- Authored with David Hale. Without digging that Book out-- Harold Knight wrote that Thunderstorms were his all time Favorite Time to hunt Spring Turkeys.  Now not in a Driving Rain-- but on a Side of a Coming Rainstorm with Rolling Thunder in the Distance..   All Toms WILL Gobble to Rolling Thunder! Not just the Boss+ his Watcher + #s 3+ 4- but #8 in the Pecking Order will Gobble to Rolling Thunder.      That's the time to move as Close as possible to the Roost and call him down.         I think, I let the Cat out of the Bag here- but, I like to help 

This time of the year , turkeys will gobble to the sound of just about anything loud. I remember them gobbling to  church bells , firehouse sirens , lawnmowers , jake brakes , car doors slamming and chainsaws just to name a few.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Pygmy suggested I come down Sat.  He thinks that I am more likely to get the full experience of gobbling and hearing one come in after the rain subsides.  That said, he did say you can still kill one in the rain.

Yea, plus I would hate to kill one and experience ground shrinkage because i misjudged a beard in the rain. I'm looking for 22" or more. whether that is 10" and 12" double beards or 8", 8", and 6" triple beards I am fine either way.

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea, plus I would hate to kill one and experience ground shrinkage because i misjudged a beard in the rain. I'm looking for 22" or more. whether that is 10" and 12" double beards or 8", 8", and 6" triple beards I am fine either way.

You set the bar high! First Jake I see is going to get shot in the face.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I remember well what Harold Knight wrote in ( Ultimate Turkey Hunting) that he co- Authored with David Hale. Without digging that Book out-- Harold Knight wrote that Thunderstorms were his all time Favorite Time to hunt Spring Turkeys.  Now not in a Driving Rain-- but on a Side of a Coming Rainstorm with Rolling Thunder in the Distance..   All Toms WILL Gobble to Rolling Thunder! Not just the Boss+ his Watcher + #s 3+ 4- but #8 in the Pecking Order will Gobble to Rolling Thunder.      That's the time to move as Close as possible to the Roost and call him down.         I think, I let the Cat out of the Bag here- but, I like to help 

I’ve been out in thunder plenty of times and the birds all gobble but I’ve never been able to engage one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been invited to hunt with a friend at his camp tomorrow morning...Headed up there now....I'll be able to check in tomorrow afternoon or evening, and  get set to hunt with Moog Saturday ….Good luck, Y'all...Shoot 'em in the face and be careful out there...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, alloutdoors said:

Can't kill turkeys in the rain, you should definitely all stay home tomorrow. :whistle::mosking:

I can't seem to kill turkeys in any weather so I will enjoy sleeping in lol. I may get out over the weekend well after sunrise as turkeys are a rarity on my prop and I don't put to much effort into searching for them.