Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

6 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I hunted with Cynthia here to about 9.30am. 4 Different Setups in the Woods.  We were setup halfway down a Ridge with my Decoy in the Bottom. About 2 or 3 Jakes came Behind us and was watching the Hen Decoy. They saw me starting to call again. PUTT-- PUTT.  I had a lone Longbeard Gobbling every 10 minutes or so.  He Gobbled  perhaps 3 times and a good 200 yards or so away.  We heard a good 4 or 5 Toms before Sunrise. I figure 3 Jake's and 2 Longbeard.       Cynthia is going out tomorrow too. I am putting off my own hunting to make sure she gets a Tom. Now if 2 come in.... HA! Cynthia would get the 1st shot.      Plenty of early Gobbling today!

We tried. . It was awesome listening  them talk . I cant wait to get one . Come hell or high water I will get one . Lolol

• Like 5

Awesome morning in the woods. First spot was dead. Second spot I had a few birds gobbling 200-300yds away and were getting closer until a shot rang out. Moved to the third spot, figured I'd rip a few yelps on my way across the corn way before I got to the woods. 3 gobblers light up, I sneak across the field and set up just inside the woods, there were actually 4 toms in there and they must have gobbled 80 times in an hour. I wasn't set up ideally but couldn't get any further because I'd have spooked the birds. Awesome hearing so many gobbles, had a 35yd shot at one of them but passed waiting on a bit closer shot which didn't end up presenting itself. Ill be back out on Monday!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Decided yesterday afternoon to go out for the opener , my first turkey hunt ever was a success . 21 pound bird ,8 7/8 beard . I had a bunch of great guys feeding me info lately on dos and dont of turkey hunting . 

IMG_2021.jpg

• Like 36

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Decided yesterday afternoon to go out for the opener , my first turkey hunt ever was a success . 21 pound bird ,8 7/8 beard . I had a bunch of great guys feeding me info lately on dos and dont of turkey hunting . 

IMG_2021.jpg

Way to start!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

IMG_2021.jpg

Congrats! Thats awesome 

• Like 3

Ended the day on an intense note.  Ended up at a different piece and came across some hens with no boy friends.  So we got back to the truck at 1145ish.  It's a dead end road so we are just driving back get just about to the end and had one about blow our ear drums out gobbling next to the road.  So I throw the truck in park grabbed my gear and jumped into the woods.  This is 11:51 I remember because I told my brother we have 9mins.  He hits his call and the turkey blows up while sitting next to the truck.  Pops on top of the ridge 50yrds away then drops back down the way he came.   So I snuck up to him as my brother called.  Birds going nuts the whole time next thing I heard was a tap on my truck and my brother saying time was up.  So I snuck back to the truck with the bird gobbling within 50yrds.

• Like 3

IMG_2021.jpg.deda3b521225a1342c3b7ad1b2483efa.jpg

You’re welcome for sending you all my turkey call home videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You’re welcome for sending you all my turkey call home videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only call i used was a double plunger Quaker boy box . Mostly soft purrs (TFs recommendation ) Once i could tell his gobbles were headed in my direction ,i stopped calling all together ( The Real TCIII tip )

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Awesome morning in the woods. First spot was dead. Second spot I had a few birds gobbling 200-300yds away and were getting closer until a shot rang out. Moved to the third spot, figured I'd rip a few yelps on my way across the corn way before I got to the woods. 3 gobblers light up, I sneak across the field and set up just inside the woods, there were actually 4 toms in there and they must have gobbled 80 times in an hour. I wasn't set up ideally but couldn't get any further because I'd have spooked the birds. Awesome hearing so many gobbles, had a 35yd shot at one of them but passed waiting on a bit closer shot which didn't end up presenting itself. Ill be back out on Monday!

Hey wait. Thought they were dumb ? All kidding aside. You had a great morning and the season has just begun 

• Like 1

Woke up 40 minutes before the alarm went off . Had coffee & sandwich and shoved off . I was set up in Walworth by 5 am . Half hour before time to shoot . Heard a scream at 5:15 that startled me . Sounded like a distressed rabbit . At 5:20 , I heard the 1st Gobble , then quiet . A little later I caught a glimpse of 3 birds flying down from roosting . Heard two birds gobble for a few minutes . They were all across the ditch and north of me . At 6 am 4 birds flew down from roosting and probably went to the field the other side of the woods . I heard one shot at 7:15 that was south west of my location .He might have gotten one of the birds that I saw fly down in that direction . Couldn't call anything in but had one gobbler respond to my calls for about a half hour . My back and but were killing me so I gave up at 10 am . Soooo , I got it out of my system !

The only call i used was a double plunger Quaker boy box . Mostly soft purrs (TFs recommendation ) Once i could tell his gobbles were headed in my direction ,i stopped calling all together ( The Real TCIII tip )

I believe my exact advice was “throw the call as far away from you as you can” once you’re sure he’s coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I fiddled with the pictures from this morning to get a picture lightened up enough to be able to even see the bird. For some reason my phone pics were coming out really dark for being g taken at 730 am.f24a39978da0417033a94baf2fa7e99f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 17

18 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I believe my exact advice was “throw the call as far away from you as you can” once you’re sure he’s coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didnt want to give away ALL your secrets. I was really second guessing that advice as I grid searched the side of the hill looking for my father in laws Turkey call.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

For some reason my phone pics were coming out really dark for being g taken at 730 am.

Most likely all the bright sky in the frame tricked the camera sensor. In really simple terms, in auto exposure modes a camera is aiming for a middle of the road average brightness when “measuring” the overall brightness of the entire image. If a large part of your image is something that is supposed to be brighter than average (like sky) the camera will under expose in its attempt to get an average reading for the whole image.

If you can get the camera a little higher and point it down a bit more to eliminate some of that sky it should solve the issue.

Hey wait. Thought they were dumb ? All kidding aside. You had a great morning and the season has just begun 
Haha They are dumb! Sometimes I feel dumb for getting up at 4AM to chase the oversized dodo birds.

• Like 3

I got a last minute invite to hunt with a friend on his lease, which is PRIME turkey ground....It used to belong to my brother in law years ago...

He had a blind set up on the end of a corn stubble field...

ZERO roost gobbling, from a spot where on a decent morning you might hear 5 or six gobblers...

After flydown, we started to hear a faint gobble now and then but distant enough that it was hard to tell even what direction it was in...I let my friend do all the calling, since it was his ground, and he was very good with mouth calls, pots and a box...

Finally, we heard a gobble that sounded close enough to do business with....

Three longboards came in,  and they all looked about the same size to me...He was busy filming the hunt, and when I dropped one, he could have easily killed another one, if he had his gun in his hand rather than the camera...

19 pounds,  10 inch beard, 1" spurs..A solid 3 year old and a nice way to get the pressure off early in the season.. 7:45 AM...

I'm looking VERY much forward to hunting with Moog on MY ground in the morning, hoping to help him get his first gobbler..

• Like 28