Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Oh man...my setup worked but I didn't. Had a hen and a gobbler come out to the field. The hen came straight to the decoys, stopped and froze about 10 feet from them directly in front of the blind. She basically spent the last 45 minutes almost completely frozen in front of me. The gobbler strutted and gobbled 30 yds from me but completely on my right and I was afraid to move with the hen right in front of me. I am trying to be patient because I figured the Tom wouldn't leave the hen. As I am thinking about trying a left hand shot he walks into the woods and out of my life. I decided to see what I could get away with with the hen right in front of me and I easily got turned so I could have made a shot. Guess I really have learned some patience. Maybe to much. Oh well, it was super exciting and I am learning!

• Like 3

Went out with a crowd today, brother, his step daughter, my kid and me. Had birds hammering on the roost and after for a bit. Two long beards and two jakes but no luck. The one saw us from his roost and never gobbled. On the way out we walked past the two jakes that had circled back silent. Kid has to work today and tomorrow so today was a short day and tomorrow is out. 

Actually did better than I thought as this spot gets pressure. 

• Like 1

Being the dedicated turkey hunter I am I set the alarm for 6am

Hit snooze till 6:30, was walking in around 7:15. Saw 2 deer on way in. I’m sitting about 25 yards from where the nice 8 point was standing when I dropped him this past fall. I’m about 50 yards in from field edge. Did a little yelping see if I could make anything speak up. About 10 minutes later had a hen off to my side 60 yards putt by. Just hanging out now. Enjoying the nice morning waiting for the absolute dumbest Tom turkey in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So far the woods are quiet in 3P , in the spot where I heard the Tom gobble at 11:57 yesterday. He went nuts when the rain stopped else he can tell time. Sunny today a little wind but he is tight lipped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I set up in a little finger of trees and brush above where I figured the birds were roosted. My brother set up on the big ridge across an open field at my back. It was cold and foggy. Birds started gobbling below me about 5:30 and then the ones up top where my brother was started up. 

I just sat there until I heard a bird fly down. Then I made a couple soft yelps and waited. I heard more birds flying down, but just stayed quiet even though at least two toms were gobbling below me. Then I hear spitting and drumming behind me in the open field. I turned my head and see a full fan damn near in my lap. I just waited for the fan to be facing me, turned quickly, and got my gun pointed. Then it was just a matter of waiting a couple minutes for the shot. He was sideways to me and stuck his neck out to gobble and I shot him at under 20 yards. About as easy a hunt as a person can get.

Then I went down and grabbed a bag full of leeks. While I was doing that, I heard a shot up on top. I got back up to my set up and could see my brother coming across the field with his own bird. I didn't realize it, but it was my brother's first solo tom, so it is a pretty exciting day.

He said he saw the tom I shot fly off its roost and glide into the fog right down across the field towards me, and heard me shoot about 10 minutes later. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Unknowly set up by a fox den this morning. Little tough on the turkey sightings but, sure was fun watching the pups playing in the sunshine.

We did that 2 years ago and hung a cam over it. Rehung cam yesterday. Do not put on video mode. Them rolling around filled 16 GB card in 2 days lol.  

• Like 1

Nice bird down at 5:49 this morning.  9.5 inch beard...1” spurs..They were hot. Group of 8 2 yr olds. Came in so hot nephew couldn't get to his off side for a double. There had to be 12 different gobblers going within 75 yards at one time. Fog was heavy.  It was neat seeing them run in through the fog. 

• Like 13

I slept in. Headed to land around 8:30 with a plan of just doing a quick walk and talk. I was only going to walk the one parcel. So my walk and talk is stoping every 50 yrs or so, hit the call and hope for a gobble, I was heading around the back portion of the property and finally lit one up fairly close. Sat got comfy and waited a few min to see if he was coming. He was silent till I hit the call and I could tell he was cutting the distance. Soon after I saw a white head and fan. I’m in hardwoods full of oaks and I cannot for the life of me see how long his dang beard is. Sob pops his head out around an oak tree at maybe 40yrds, perfect shot but I wanted to know how long his beard was. At this point I could tell he wasn’t finding the hen and started back the way he came. Never got a good look at the beard. Damn eyes aren’t as good as they one were. 

Congrats to all the turkey killers today! 
Quiet morning for me. I walked out at 4:25 on the starry morning and sat in the same spot as yesterday. I put the full spread of decoys out, and had first gobbles at 5:30. Distant gobbles, roosted in the woods behind me. Probably 300 yards. After flydown they moved off the in other direction. I tried calling them toward me, I couldn’t get them interested. Sat in a second spot with one feeding hen deke and had zero activity. No birds seen today. Called it quits early to get some stuff done around the homestead but should be back at it tomorrow morning. 

D5EF801E-F467-459C-882B-0EE65554BC2C.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Man, I had a Gobbler coming in for Cynthia. A real Hen, was moving towards the Gobbler and Yelping.  Plenty of Gobbling today!!  And plenty of Turkey Hunter as well. We got to talk to 3 of them.     One hunter had a Gobbler in sight when a slow moving ATV Lumbered past! Spooked..      Ok-- so Day 3 With Cynthia is tomorrow. We are getting close! Nothing answered my  Hoots early on. The Birds changed areas.    Got to hear an older Spring Turkey Hunter of around 70 or so give a expert vocalization on a cool looking Yelper around his neck.       Cynthia gave me a Dozen Eggs from her Chickens. Thank you Cynthia.

20200502_091951.jpg

Doesn't the prince kiss the frog to reveal the princess??

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Work the hen. Let her drag him in tow. 

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

SEND IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hen took him over the ridge and gone. Then another smaller Tom came out with a Jake.  Got them to commit.  Swing and a miss though.   They held up at what I thought was 40. Paced it off and it was more like 49.  Still running awesome day though. Turkeys everywhere. 

• Like 3