Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Had a fantastic morning. It was Aaron's (Liquidonyx) first turkey hunt.  Heard first gobbles several hundred yards out at 5:02.  Finally had one sound off 75 yrds below us at 5:10.  Couple of soft tree yelps, and a fly down cackle few min after that was the only calling I did while he was on roost.  Once he hit the ground he double gobbled, and I gave another series of calls. He came in fast.  Gobbling several times.  At 30 yrds Aaron shot. Tommy took to the air, but only made it 30 yrds before he fell out of the air.  No weight, but nice 2 yr old. 10 1/2” beard 7/8 spur. 

We spotted 2 more in a field down the road. They gobbled frequently while we  made a big loop to get around them. Think I alerted them when we ungracefully crossed a creek. Ok,  Aaron did good, I didn't.  Never heard another peep out of them.  Hoping they were still in the field, and knowing the field has some low spots, we carefully moved forward. Eased up and there was a white head 40 yrds out. Somehow I missed.  As he sprints into the woods, the second one pops up 15 yrs closer. Didn't miss.  11 1/4 beard, 1 1/8 spurs. 

IMG_20200502_055449341.jpg

IMG_20200502_081939476~2.jpg

Edited by mowin
  • Like 30

VnHad a good morning snuck into a natural ground blind at 445 am as it lightens up I can see 6 birds roosted 20 to 40 yards from us.  At 545 bird let's out gobble 40 yard behind us, a second let out a single gobble, they both flew down 40 yards out in a small meadow , the birds below us were dropping from their roosts as well.  The 2 Tom's walked to my right while my friend watched them unable to shoot past me as i had back to them.  They dropped over the edge of ridge and disappeared from sight. I was able to shift and got gun up clicked 2x on my favorite slate and they popped up enough for a shot at 35 yards for me. My friend wasnt able to shoot past me to get second bird, but it was an almost double.Screenshot_20200502-113218_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c2bd8760478eb33dd20a4f62ab313f8c.jpg

• Like 29

Got out of work at 6:30 and was in my ground blind by 7:30. Didn't see anything and the only thing I heard was 4 different shots.2 of them being on the neighboring property.I have the next 2 days off and plan on being in the woods before daylight.

Today was weird for me. Got up at 2:30 and got to my spot at 4:30. Perfectly quiet walk in and I went in close to where they roost. I didnt hear one gobble from the roost at all. Ive never seen this before at this property. Usually theres at least 3-4 gobblers going every morning. I ended up being 60 yards from 2 hens I think (they flew down to  some thick stuff 30 yards so I couldnt tell if they were both hens (one definitely was). I did find my first shed from an 8 pount or maybe a 7 point. It was 10 feet from the tree I sat at first.

Around 8 I went to the place where I shot both birds last year. I couldnt get my crystal pot call to work so im using a mouth call till mine comes in the mail.  Its not nearly as loud so I couldnt get much volume due to the small creek rushing with water. I went close to the place I thought they might be and called. Made the mistake of breaking my rule that I never call with out having a pre determined spot to sit. 2 gobblers hammered back at 40 yards in the bushes. While trying to get set up, they must have come running in or saw me. Rookie mistake, but I decided to scout the area a bit, since ive never been to that part. I found a 30 yard by 30 yard area just tore up with scratchings from today. I know where Ill be going during the week if I can get out. 

Even the land owner and neighbors said they havent seen a turkey this spring, which is really weird. Might be a tough one for me this year, but Ill still be getting out there! 

• Like 3

Opening day was a drag.  Rain and wind and only saw hens.  Heard 8 shots on neighboring properties.  

Roosted a whole flock before dark.  Set up this morning across the field from them at 80 yards.  2 hen decoys.  At 5:15 one of the toms is strutting and eyeballing the decoy.  He drops down on the far side of the field and struts.  The whole flock came down.  An hour later 2 tiny jakes broke off from the flock and came through the decoys at 5 yards.  I was in a brush blind behind a stonewall, so they never had a clue.  After 2+ hours they wandered off into the hardwoods.  It's too open to make a move, so I went back to the cabin for a coffee and a donut.  

Checked another property.  I went up to the neighbor's posters and worked up from soft yelping to full-on cutting. No response.  I backed off 60 yards and was texting my buddy.  I look up and there are 2 toms running across the neigbor's hay field.  They wouldn't from the green hay field to the brown overgrown pasture, so I dropped down into a brook and moved up tight to the posters.  I cut at them and got them fired up, then backed up into a strip of mature softwoods.  I laid down next to a big hemlock and they were there in a couple minutes.  They crossed the posters and I let them weave through the trees until they got to 25 and let the first one have it.  

18lbs. 9" beard. 7/8" spurs.  

After the frustration of watching 9 birds for 2+ hours, it was nice to have birds gobble to my calling.  Now I'm back home.  I will probably drink my coffee in the back pasture in the morning, as long as it isn't raining.  If something gobbles I will hunt.  If not, I'll get some work done.

KIMG0058.jpeg

KIMG0059.jpeg

• Like 18

A friend of mine that lives in Walworth got a nice bird this am . He said that after dinner last night his 7 year old son was playing with his box call . He said his son came in the house and told him a turkey was answering him . His dad checked it out and set up in that area this am . Got his bird . I asked if I could rent his son to help me out . 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Lol, forgot to post pic of Aaron caring his bird.  
I'm sure many have had the same experience.  Turkey vest needed.  

IMG_20200502_053748842.thumb.jpg.df599543d7cbf51f223b51c27ccd4aa8.jpg

I went to work like that once lol,
I used to put a rain suit on over my kakhis and hunt before work and the blood went into the pants. I didn’t notice until I went to the bathroom at like 9:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 12:21 PM, Jeremy K said:

Decided yesterday afternoon to go out for the opener , my first turkey hunt ever was a success . 21 pound bird ,8 7/8 beard . I had a bunch of great guys feeding me info lately on dos and dont of turkey hunting . 

IMG_2021.jpg

Dang!  One heck of a bird!  Congratulations, Jeremy!

6 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Man, I had a Gobbler coming in for Cynthia. A real Hen, was moving towards the Gobbler and Yelping.  Plenty of Gobbling today!!  And plenty of Turkey Hunter as well. We got to talk to 3 of them.     One hunter had a Gobbler in sight when a slow moving ATV Lumbered past! Spooked..      Ok-- so Day 3 With Cynthia is tomorrow. We are getting close! Nothing answered my  Hoots early on. The Birds changed areas.    Got to hear an older Spring Turkey Hunter of around 70 or so give a expert vocalization on a cool looking Yelper around his neck.       Cynthia gave me a Dozen Eggs from her Chickens. Thank you Cynthia.

20200502_091951.jpg

Ill tip my hat to you Bill.. Its really cool that you are helping out a fellow forum member... She will tip one over tomorrow!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

No luck today but fun hunting with Pygmy as always.   We did have a live hen in the decoy mix for a while.   Thanks again Dan.   

We had lots of laughs.....Probably did more laughing than turkey hunting..Hehehe..

Moog has hunted with me twice, and both were very slow days turkey wise, but very enjoyable days in the woods.....ONE day soon , hopefully this season, we'll hit them right....

I just wish the big lug would quit trying to KISS me while we're in the blind...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

VnHad a good morning snuck into a natural ground blind at 445 am as it lightens up I can see 6 birds roosted 20 to 40 yards from us.  At 545 bird let's out gobble 40 yard behind us, a second let out a single gobble, they both flew down 40 yards out in a small meadow , the birds below us were dropping from their roosts as well.  The 2 Tom's walked to my right while my friend watched them unable to shoot past me as i had back to them.  They dropped over the edge of ridge and disappeared from sight. I was able to shift and got gun up clicked 2x on my favorite slate and they popped up enough for a shot at 35 yards for me. My friend wasnt able to shoot past me to get second bird, but it was an almost double.Screenshot_20200502-113218_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c2bd8760478eb33dd20a4f62ab313f8c.jpg

That’s a great photo!

15 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yeah, one got me on the wrist, had to pick another off my neck.  Can't find the damn thermacell either!

Does the thermacell repell ticks also ?? I have used one for years and I know it works great for skeeters and does a pretty good job on blackflies....

I just sprayed my hunting clothes today with peremethrine, and hopefully that will cure my tick problem...

• Like 1

Made it out this morning. Worked 4 different birds. Both groups of 2. Couldnt make it happen and then couldn't get ahead of them after with the terrain.

Hoping to make it out tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Ok I found some turkey shells for my daughters .20 ga 870, I guess some day next week , I’ll have to go knock one down , I’m usually up at 4 to drain the snake anyways . Need to buy some frosted pop tarts .

Ive often thought about just sleeping in the woods over night, go,down around 11pm lay out sleeping bag crawl in and wake up and hunt .

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Ok I found some turkey shells for my daughters .20 ga 870, I guess some day next week , I’ll have to go knock one down , I’m usually up at 4 to drain the snake anyways . Need to buy some frosted pop tarts .

Ive often thought about just sleeping in the woods over night, go,down around 11pm lay out sleeping bag crawl in and wake up and hunt .

Cool idea, Larry, but if I did that on my ground I'd probably wake up in the morning with about 20 ticks attached to my wrinkled old ass...

Besides, it's only about a 5 minute drive to my hunting property...

• Like 2

Ya it’s been a “ few” years since I slept on the ground , getting out of bed it’s several steps before I walk totally upright and can let go, of the wall  , plus no coffee if I sleep there , right now with a couple beers in me , it seems like a good idea though lol .

Maybe ,I’ll sleep in my hut , if the mice don’t mind to much .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Ya it’s been a “ few” years since I slept on the ground , getting out of bed it’s several steps before I walk totally upright and can let go, of the wall  , plus no coffee if I sleep there , right now with a couple beers in me , it seems like a good idea though lol .

Maybe ,I’ll sleep in my hut , if the mice don’t mind to much .

Before my dad had kids ,he would hunt state land with his brother in Angelica , they would set up camp on the fire road for the weekend ,  they would go into town after dinner and close the angelica hotel , when they got back to camp he would put his camo on ,grab his bow and sleep at the base of his tree ,when ever he woke up he would climb in his stand and start hunting . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1