Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Well bill did good called in 2 birds . I goofed up didnt let them get in close  and got excited shot low . Killed a tree . Ughhhhh. At least  I didnt laugh . When they were in the tree gobbling I was laughing then they flew down and i got ready .

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

Well bill did good called in 2 birds . I goofed up didnt let them get in close  and got excited shot low . Killed a tree . Ughhhhh. At least  I didnt laugh . When they were in the tree gobbling I was laughing then they flew down and i got ready .

Can't say I've ever laughed at them gobbling. I've definitely gotten excited and killed a tree or two. 

Your getting closer. Keep at it.  

Crap...just got busted by one that came in quiet. About 20 minutes after a series of cutting and yelping, happen to look right and theres a big red head looking at me, at 25 yds...then he vanished just as fast. Oh well, nice to finally see a bird after 3 days.

All done for the day.  Had a great morning.  Had birds gobbling at about 530 and stopped a little after 6.  About 630 I started making a move to another spot where I heard them gobbling opening morning.  While I was moving a bird sounded off.  So I got to the spot quick.  At about 7 I let hit the box a couple times and had a second bird behind me sound off once.  So I kept my attention that way and saw a flock of about 5 walk the far ridge away from me.  So I let out some yelps and ended up having a bird behind me respond by yelping.  About 8 I looked up and had 4 Jake's sneak into about 25 yards so I pulled up and shot at the biggest bird and all I could see through my scope was a sapling I didn't notice about 10 yards in front of me tip over and off the ran.  I'll be back in that same spot next weekend. 

• Like 2

I have been reluctant to post my first two days recap because of a major blunder; I missed a slam dunk yesterday morning.  5:50am and I had him dead to rights at maybe 20 yards but just his head and fan were visible. (oh and my gun was pointing too far to the right)

He went behind a small tree and I swung over, as he came out I was kind of contorted and squinting as I was shooting right handed and am more proficient lefty........I guess I rushed it.  At that point he was probably 30 yards or so. 

After that I worked another adult that must have had a hen, he didn't play by the script at all. Moved to my third location and worked a couple Jakes in easily two different times from 10am-noon.  One of them sounded so much like an adult I couldn't believe he didn't have a vertical beard.  Exciting

Friday was pretty good at another spot too but only resulted in an unfilled tag.  A silent bird coming into about 10' off my left shoulder before I couldn't resist looking and spooked him to Canada...LOL  Around 11am I had two Jakes come into 20 yards and stand there for 15 minutes just staring holes in me.  Exciting

Today I slept in.  The birds can wait.....

• Like 8

Congrats to everybody who connected, especially Mowin who is teaching others and helping keep our traditions alive!

In retrospect yesterday was one of the most interesting days of turkey hunting I've had, was just feeling too down on myself to type it up.

Long story short, I missed a gobbler I've been chasing (presumably same one, same spot, same tendencIes) for 2 years now.  Did every single thing right, except have patience to wait for him to get into a proper gap in the woods.  Tunnel vision.

Map:  Red line is the bird, purple is where he flew.  Mine is obviously the blue.

Long story, not short I played with, and watch this gobbler through binos for well over 2 hours before getting my chance.  He's also kind of a badass that isn't afraid of coyotes any more than he has to be to stay alive. 

Heard him gobbling 2 fields away, after having a real aggressive hen come out and cackling at me when I called, around 830 or so.  Fortunately didn't have the deeks out yet or I'm sure she would have had me pinned down for a while.  She was belting out yelps looking for the other hen, then this gobbler started up about 4 yards away.  She headed in his direction, and I followed.  Alot of field between me and him.  So I setup with the hen/jake deeks, and called to him for at least 30 minutes.  He was gobbling like he was going to come in, but didn't.   Another one started up a couple hundred yards behind me in the woods, which ticked him off further.  I think that one was a jake, because I ran into a jake while I was watching the coyotes from across the fields.  Eventually headed south to this big former cow field thats about 300 yards long and 150 wide that runs up a hill to some pines, with a sharp bank and thick saplings running down a steep hill below it.  

So I pack up the deeks, back up to the other side of a hedge row, and start heading closer to see what he's up to.  As I'm watching him from 400 yards away, two coyotes tried to put the stalk on him!  He quite matter of factly flew up into an oak tree maybe 15 feet off the ground, putted at them a couple times and just watched.  He might as well have given them the finger.  Once the coyotes buggered off he hopped out the tree and resumed his strutting at the top of a long field, with hundreds of yards of vision all around him.  I had moved up to behind this old barn while he was distracted, so I'm maybe 300 yards away now. 

There was no way to not get busted when he was out in the field.  I see him head under the pines, and decided to make my move.  Leave the decoys at the barn.  Drop down, as quickly as someone who isn't allowed to run with a 3 month old ACL can go, through a marshy field, below that steep lip of the field he was in, into the saplings / brush below the field.  There's a decent sized stream running through the bottom of the field and it was running pretty hard.  Setup on hummock, before the stream (which is also the property line to the lease I can't hunt anymore #bitter).  Start calling, that bird starts up again up in the pines.  Get him going then I clam up.  First 5 minutes he didn't move, then he starts down the hill.  Instead of calling I did some scratching in the leaves to keep his interest peaked. 

Takes him about 30 minutes, and finally I see him on the other side of the stream, which has a bed about 8 feet below eye levels.  Wait til he's behind a tree and just HAMMER the mouth call and he cuts me off, spitting, drumming, the whole 9.  I pitched my call so it sounded like it was on the other side of the hummock I was on, so "she" is just out of sight of him.  He's fired up now.  Unfortunately where he's strutting is way to brushy for a shot even though he's probably 25 yards away. 

Eventually he gets mad enough to go down IN the stream bed and that's when I hammer it again, scratch, get my gun up and safety off, 100% ready.  He takes his time coming up, but instead of coming close hes further down, and the hillock is blocking everything but his big white head.  Still REALLY brushy, no easy openings.  Eventually he gets to top of the hummock where he can see down the other side, in a half decent opening (I thought), and that head goes uuuuuuuuuuuuup, and I knew the jig was up.  Took the shot, new pins right on his eyeball (mistake).  He disappears and I'm elated for about 1 second before I see him cruising on down the valley.

S.O.B.

May 2 2020 Epic Gobbler Fail.jpg

• Like 4

No bird, but what a hunt! Sometimes, we remember more fondly when they win the game. It's only a few days into the season, you will get another crack at him I'm sure. Best of luck my friend.

Oh......and great story!

• Like 1

I  received the first installment of my annual gobbler season dose of humility this morning...

The bird that Moog and I heard yesterday gobbled this morning, and he was much closer than yesterday and quite vocal..He gobbled at most of my calls, cutting me off on some..However, he wasn't moving, so I suspect he had a lady friend with him...After awhile a dog came through the woods barking ( sounded like he was running deer) and that was the end of the gobbling..

About a half hour later, I looked out into the field and saw two birds walking broadside to me... I put the glasses on them ..One was a big gobbler ( big bird, big beard) and the other one was a jake..

I called to them...They completely ignored my calling..Not a gobble, not a reaction.. From the spot they were in I  doubted they could see my decoys, but they sure as hell could HEAR me...  They walked into the woods, then about a half hour later they came walking back out..They were only about 150 yards away and I was fairly sure they could see at least one of my decoys...I called again...This time the big gobbler stopped and gave me a brief glance..Again, no gobbling and he and the jake went on their merry way..I am pretty sure he flipped me off as he was leaving...A bird gave me the bird.... To add insult to injury, if I had set my blind where I USUALLY set it, they would have walked by me at about 20 yards....Twice....

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I  received the first installment of my annual gobbler season dose of humility this morning...

The bird that Moog and I heard yesterday gobbled this morning, and he was much closer than yesterday and quite vocal..He gobbled at most of my calls, cutting me off on some..However, he wasn't moving, so I suspect he had a lady friend with him...After awhile a dog came through the woods barking ( sounded like he was running deer) and that was the end of the gobbling..

About a half hour later, I looked out into the field and saw two birds walking broadside to me... I put the glasses on them ..One was a big gobbler ( big bird, big beard) and the other one was a jake..

I called to them...They completely ignored my calling..Not a gobble, not a reaction.. From the spot they were in I  doubted they could see my decoys, but they sure as hell could HEAR me...  They walked into the woods, then about a half hour later they came walking back out..They were only about 150 yards away and I was fairly sure they could see at least one of my decoys...I called again...This time the big gobbler stopped and gave me a brief glance..Again, no gobbling and he and the jake went on their merry way..I am pretty sure he flipped me off as he was leaving...A bird gave me the bird.... To add insult to injury, if I had set my blind where I USUALLY set it, they would have walked by me at about 20 yards....Twice....

Sorry Dan.  It takes a while for the jinx to wear off - like skunk spray.   You will be back in them soon.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

No bird, but what a hunt! Sometimes, we remember more fondly when they win the game. It's only a few days into the season, you will get another crack at him I'm sure. Best of luck my friend.

Oh......and great story!

You're most likely right Dave, thanks.  I just need to get him and it will add spice to the story.  I'll try tree calling him Friday night.

• Like 1

It is heartening to read about the misses and close calls because I had had three days in a row of misses and close calls.  That and bourbon make me feel much better!   The first two days were just birds that I saw for a split second and they were gone kind of thing.  BUT Today was the Mother of all misses.  

My buddy and I set up in two different fields with a section of woods that we knew held roosted birds.  Being in two different fields, I knew one of us would get a shot at something at fly down.  My buddy did have a chance and shot at a bird from 60 yards.  So by 6am we were already kicking ourselves for not being patient and working the bird properly. 

We decide to change gears and we move to a different section of the farm, him in an old apple orchard, and I was on a field edge about 100 yards away but with lots of thick brush in between.  I had two decoys out in the field and while I was fiddling around with the stick that goes inside the decoy I hear wings flapping behind me.  I turn around to watch a Tom fly off!  BUSTED.  

I figured might as well sit and see what happens.  Within 45 minutes I hear a gobble pretty close.  A minute later, it sounds like it is moving off.  I call a few time on my slate and it gobbles again, but further away.  I figure he is gone now.  I wait a few minutes and picked up my slate to call again, but then I remembered the advice I have seen here several times - he knows where you are, let him come find you - don’t call.  I set the slate down and within 5 minutes he is strutting 50 yards away from me. Big Tom with a beautiful fan and a thick beard.  Plus his feathers were shining in the sunshine.  Such an incredible sight!!   I thought “Have patience” and waited.  Some patience I have!  He walked 10 more yards closer to me and I send it.  STUPID.  He jumps and moves away a few feet and stops.  I pump in another round and shoot again.  Nothing.  He moves another 10 feet away.  Stops again!  Shoot with my last shell, and then he takes off flying.   I get up to look for feathers, blood anything. I find nothing.  I look in the brush in the direction he was headed and find nothing.  THREE HUGE MISSES IN A ROW! 

Such a great and lousy day at the same time!  I am going to let these birds rest a couple of days while I consider the next move.  I know they are there, but now they know I am here too.  

• Like 2

Had a somewhat exciting morning, had a big fisher come running into set up at 545am made the bird roosted below us about 75 yards shut up quickly. After it left the bird started gobbling again. Bird went quiet and my friend insisted it was on ground going away and he was gonna move closer to where he was.. of course after going 5 yards he flushed the tom and the hunt was over at 615am.. not a high deal give him a few days rest and we will try again. I'm personal not a fan of chasing birds around all morning as if left as undisturbed as possible they seem to roost same area day after day year after year.. it's a long season for sure.

• Like 2

Third season hunting my own land and was finally able to connect today. My first NYS bird in 9 years as well. Had lots of activity before the season on cameras and scouting for early morning gobbles. Seeing mostly jakes and hens on camera. Dead quiet Saturday. Setup in a blind this morning in a small clearing with a hen decoy where I’ve had activity on my camera. My property is otherwise 95% wooded. Of course I heard gobbles at 5:20 on another end of the property deep into the hardwoods. I got up, grabbed the gun, left everything and hustled about 300 yards into the woods stopping to listen periodically for the gobbles on the roost to steer me correctly. Settled at 5:30 or so against a tree by a stone wall facing the gobbles which were about 125 yards away but it was light out and didn’t want to spook them.

After a few calls, the gobbles stopped momentarily. I thought a hen had cut me off. Then I cut at them really hard, and they started again and seemed committed and then I shut up and waited. I scratched the leaves and I saw a bunch of blue heads sprinting in my direction. Possibly 3 or 4. Tough to see over the terrain and I had my gun up at the ready. They were behind some brush and the stone wall above me. Once the first bird popped his blue head over the wall to peek at the “hen” that yelped, I dropped him at 30 yards. The others scattered and I was never able to make out if they were jakes or toms. I had assumed this was a jake given how fast they charged in. I didn’t see his beard and he never strutted before I saw the blue head.

Turns out he was a nice 2 year old with an 8” beard. And to top it off, today is my 38th birthday. Great day all around.

Good luck to everyone and congratulations to those who bagged their bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0748.jpgIMG_0744.jpg
  • Like 18

2 minutes ago, rjrdomer said:

Third season hunting my own land and was finally able to connect today. My first NYS bird in 9 years as well. Had lots of activity before the season on cameras and scouting for early morning gobbles. Seeing mostly jakes and hens on camera. Dead quiet Saturday. Setup in a blind this morning in a small clearing with a hen decoy where I’ve had activity on my camera. My property is otherwise 95% wooded. Of course I heard gobbles at 5:20 on another end of the property deep into the hardwoods. I got up, grabbed the gun, left everything and hustled about 300 yards into the woods stopping to listen periodically for the gobbles on the roost to steer me correctly. Settled at 5:30 or so against a tree by a stone wall facing the gobbles which were about 125 yards away but it was light out and didn’t want to spook them.

After a few calls, the gobbles stopped momentarily. I thought a hen had cut me off. Then I cut at them really hard, and they started again and seemed committed and then I shut up and waited. I scratched the leaves and I saw a bunch of blue heads sprinting in my direction. Possibly 3 or 4. Tough to see over the terrain and I had my gun up at the ready. They were behind some brush and the stone wall above me. Once the first bird popped his blue head over the wall to peek at the “hen” that yelped, I dropped him at 30 yards. The others scattered and I was never able to make out if they were jakes or toms. I had assumed this was a jake given how fast they charged in. I didn’t see his beard and he never strutted before I saw the blue head.

Turns out he was a nice 2 year old with an 8” beard. And to top it off, today is my 38th birthday. Great day all around.

Good luck to everyone and congratulations to those who bagged their bird.

IMG_0748.jpgIMG_0744.jpg

Well done, young Feller.....Dandy bird with a very nice beard...CONGRATS  !!

• Like 1

Got a guy with me this morning that’s never turkey hunted. He said all he cares about is hearing them gobble, well he’s got that covered because we have a bird 100 yards from us that’s probably gobbled 200 times already. The current setup sucks because of property lines but we’ll see.