Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

The bird we were on flew to the other side of the property with the hens. We left and are trying a different spot. A bird gobbled way off at my crow call. We set up on the edge of my property as close to gobble as we can get. He hasn’t made a peep since but we are gonna hang out for a while playing the soft and sweet stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called in a hen. She walked into my decoys stood by them for about 5 minutes then ended up less than 10 yds from me until she walked off. Right after she was gone a buck with nubs started walked up to me...got to about 10 yds. Saw me trying to take pic of him with phone and took off. Then about 5 minutes later, tried calling agsin and that hen started yelping back and walked back up to my decoys before she walked off again. Love those close encounters.

Edited by JALA RUT
Typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Tapping out. Heard 2 more get whacked today making 4 in 3 days we’ve hunted.  Everyone off of work is making this tough. All 4 were workable birds from spot we are in. 

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The hens will draw another gobbler or two in as the season continues.   More opportunities for you soon. 

and chances are they are batting 50%. So might only be two taken.  Weird season for sure.  Youll get on them. 

Got out for a bit each of the first three mornings and had action each time. Connected at 9:30 opening day. 26 lbs, 9.5 inch beard and 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 inch spurs. 

Over the three days, heard 8 shots including mine. All pretty close by. I'm a lousy turkey hunter but we did really well at this particular spot. 

Turkey 2.jpg

Turkey.jpg

• Like 25

Made it out Saturday. Went most of the morning without hearing anything. Around 8:30 was able to locate two birds and call them in over about 45 minutes. Paced the shot at 32 yards. 9" beard, 1" Spurs. 

20200502_094442.jpg

• Like 19

49 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Tapping out. Heard 2 more get whacked today making 4 in 3 days we’ve hunted.  Everyone off of work is making this tough. All 4 were workable birds from spot we are in. 

Ha if this unemployment keeps up much longer , the deer will soon be joining those turkeys .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phade said:

Got out for a bit each of the first three mornings and had action each time. Connected at 9:30 opening day. 26 lbs, 9.5 inch beard and 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 inch spurs. 

Over the three days, heard 8 shots including mine. All pretty close by. I'm a lousy turkey hunter but we did really well at this particular spot. 

Turkey 2.jpg

Turkey.jpg

What a monster..CONGRATS  !!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Dude put the hoot tube away ! 2 birds gobbling and guy won’t stop. Just off property line again where we heard 2 get blasted Friday n Saturday. Ugh. 

i've learned with turkey, hearing a shotgun blast doesn't mean any bird died and in fact it's like a 50/50 haha.

but still, i've also learned that they don't like being shot at and can get skittish real quick and become much, much harder to hunt.

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Never once have I turkey hunted by not being here at sun up. Too afraid to miss something and listening to the woods wake up is the best part. 

I agree with the woods waking up part. Have had some good days by going in around 8:30, when life just doesn't allow for 4am, but man that is by far the best part for me, even over filling a tag on some days. Real cruddy first 2 days for me, but the time in the woods was much needed.

Tagged out this morning....The one bird I have heard every morning was gobbling good this morning...Finally about 7:00 AM I had him in the woods right behind my blind...He was within 40 yards but I couldn't see him in the woods and was waiting for him to walk into the field with my decoys...  Then he just shut up...I waited a full half hour after I heard the last gobble and called...NOTHING..I have no idea what happened..

Meanwhile  while I was waiting , I had heard two gobbles from the opposite direction...I did some calling  and heard nothing, but about ten minutes later I saw a black blob appear  down in the corner of the field, about 150 yards away...He stepped out of the woods and displayed for a minute or so, then folded up and walked DIRECTLY toward Esmerelda, my pretty Avian decoy...

I had the gun on the sticks and watched him come through my scope all the way....It was almost too easy...I dropped him at 21 paces, about ten feet from the decoy...Nice bird...19.5 pounds, real heavy 8.5 inch beard and one inch spurs... He's the one I saw with the jake that ignored me yesterday..

Now I need Moog to get back down here and kill the other one ..I'm sure he's the BOSS...

He's probably the MOOG of all gobblers...Hehehe....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 23

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Tagged out this morning....The one bird I have heard every morning was gobbling good this morning...Finally about 7:00 AM I had him in the woods right behind my blind...He was within 40 yards but I couldn't see him in the woods and was waiting for him to walk into the field with my decoys...  Then he just shut up...I waited a full half hour after I heard the last gobbled and called...NOTHING..I have no idea what happened..

Meanwhile  while I was waiting , I had heard two gobbles from the opposite direction...I did some calling  and heard nothing, but about ten minutes later I saw a black blob appear  down in the corner of the field, about 150 yards away...He stepped out of the woods and displayed for a minute or so, then folded up and walked DIRECTLY toward Esmerelda, my pretty Avian decoy...

I had the gun on the sticks and watched him come through my scope all the way....It was almost too easy...I dropped him at 21 paces, about ten feet from the decoy...Nice bird...19.5 pounds, real heavy 8.5 inch beard and one inch spurs... He's the one I saw with the jake that ignored me yesterday..

Now I need Moog to get back down here and kill the other one ..I'm sure he's the BOSS...

Congrats Pygmy! I think I'd be bummed to be done so early though. I guess there's always red squirrels? haha

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

Congrats Pygmy! I think I'd be bummed to be done so early though. I guess there's always red squirrels? haha

That's OK...Especially when I remember the seasons when I hunted my sawed off little ass off all season and got maybe one or maybe NONE...Hehehe..

Besides that, I also love to FISH and may is a great month for fishing..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Tagged out this morning....The one bird I have heard every morning was gobbling good this morning...Finally about 7:00 AM I had him in the woods right behind my blind...He was within 40 yards but I couldn't see him in the woods and was waiting for him to walk into the field with my decoys...  Then he just shut up...I waited a full half hour after I heard the last gobble and called...NOTHING..I have no idea what happened..

He's probably the MOOG of all gobblers...Hehehe....

Awesome! Where's the pics????