Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

1 hour ago, Belo said:

My slate calling is either 100% on point or a complete squeaky shit show lol. There is no middle ground for me for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1000% agreed.  Sometimes it’s perfect and others I just want to frisbee it in the woods. 

It always sounds unreal at home though....

• Like 1

Got in real early and quiet no gobbles nothing,then a hen went by yelping her head off still nothing. This is the most action I have had all week. Going back tomorrow.
f467d3762eb6456f4514ac711a24f193.jpg
The dust bowl had another feather in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Conditioning with scotch brite pad side to side ? Hit end of striker too. Grip pressure - amount of pressure and angles are key 

yeah i know that's why i'm inconsistent. I have the primos tool and use it. I also think it's a pressure thing. My mouth and box are just always on point, but i get the best pur and soft yelps from my slate.

• Like 2

I did six days. Not a sound. Adjacent to and in one state forrest for five days, in another state forrest on the sixth. Not a tree gobble in the dawn, a ready for some love gobble in the morning, or a gobble (shock or otherwise) in the evening. Daily silence.  That's never happened before. Not even those far off "that's got to be on the other side of the valley" or 'miles away" gobbles. Nada. 

(That just reminded me, they were the quietest sunsets I've ever experienced in the spring. Usually it's a chorus of fake owl calls a dusk. Not a one this year.  Nor did I hear or see any other hunters, usually I'm good a for a couple. I saw sign of only one person, tire marks and foot prints.  I expected to see MANY hunters this year.)

I saw some sign, not a lot. Lone bird scratchings, that's it. Crazy thing, despite all the quiet, I saw far more birds than I've seen in years. Everywhere I went I saw them. In fields,  in the woods, in yards, literally walking down the shoulder of the road.  But I'll be danged if I heard a peep from a male.

• Sad 1

This was opening morning  this cameras display doesn’t work so I can’t set date and time.   I pulled card tonight and it was 7 days ago.  I was at other end of field hunted til 11

WTF-Wild Turkey Failure :dontknow:

Maybe this weekend....keep trying 

AECE62A3-83A8-42F9-B7EF-6A181D1AFEE8.jpeg

• Like 3

Yesterday.........went to my spot in Arcade.  Got there plenty early and around 5:30am I had some very distant gobbling in an area I know well.  Got as close as I dared as they were on the ground already and got set up.  It sounded like an adult and a jake to my untrained ear.  They appeared to be separated by 75-100 yards and I kept having to focus my attention on the one that sounded like the adult.  After coming to probably 100 yards they headed towards a big open field, one that they like to head to and strut their stuff for their hens.  I decided I'd better try and cut them off if possible so I backed off and circled down around towards the field.  I made my set up ready and hit them with a couple horeshoe call yelps.  I got some hot replies and here they come but my elation was short lived as the came to just below the crest of a little rise I was on and hung up, maybe 50 yards.  They backed off and headed in a different direction this time! 

I gave them some time and devised a new plan.  They were heading east and I knew that area good too, as I've been fooled just about everywhere on this block. :)

I decided to sneak as best I could up the hill to a flat between two big fields but trying to not be exposed to the decent chunk of open woods between these two fields.  Well I got into position and made a quick excited yelp or two on the mouth call with no reply, then after a few minutes I hit the crow call and got the same thing, NUTHIN'.

Oh crap, here we go.......another dead end with henned up birds and and empty game bag.  BTDT

So I reached into my bag of tricks and pulled out the old Lynch box call and figured why not?  It's always my last choice as I like my mouth calls better but I cranked out a series of yelps and holy kielbasa they hollered and close too!! I shimmied over to another tree about 15' away with a better trunk structure for that direction, it was risky as the gobbles were close but I went anyway.   All was quiet for a couple minutes and I decided to scratch out another short series on the box and BAM, here we go, set the call down and up with the gun.

Within seconds here comes two red heads, damn jakes.  Then a big white head popped up, then two more red heads.  The first two jakes were getting close, like 15' away and they started to putt putt.  Damn, ok big white head gobbling Jake today is your day. About 9:15 AM

No excuses, I shot a Jake and I'm proud of it.  He had a 5" beard with a second beard 2" (2 1/8" for Bizzy) although it wasn't totally vertical it wasn't horizontal like his four other red headed buddies.  I shot the bad ass of the group.  :)

IUGZDjV.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 32

My Turkey Season got disrupted . I had planned on going out Tuesday am but had to cancel . Monday evening ,just before dinner , my wife tripped coming up from the basement . She fell at the top , fell into the kitchen , hit her head and landed on her left hip . Took her to Urgent care for x-ray . Possible fracture . Drove wife to Highland Hospital . They did some further checks and yesterday am , she had the left hip ball and socket done . Brought her home this evening . So much for Turkey Hunting . 

Get one for me !

• Sad 8

12 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

My Turkey Season got disrupted . I had planned on going out Tuesday am but had to cancel . Monday evening ,just before dinner , my wife tripped coming up from the basement . She fell at the top , fell into the kitchen , hit her head and landed on her left hip . Took her to Urgent care for x-ray . Possible fracture . Drove wife to Highland Hospital . They did some further checks and yesterday am , she had the left hip ball and socket done . Brought her home this evening . So much for Turkey Hunting . 

Get one for me !

PM me with your address, I'll have Wegman's drop off a Butterball.  That'll make you & your wife feel better....... :)

Sorry to hear, hope she mends up PDQ.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Haha 1