Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

15 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Soon. I want the Hens to come in this Field possibly with Gobbler in Tow. She hears another Hen and that is not happening.  Remember- they are Pressured on Public Dirt. This has worked before.

OK, I hope some run n gun hunter out looking for his lost horseshoe calls doesn’t intercept your Tom.  :)

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’d much rather call to a gobbler with out hens than with.  Be the first he hears before you have other hens to compete with.   My .02 fwiw 

I’d pony up .05 for that tip......

36 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

120 Wild Turkeys to my Credit Larry. I know when to turn up the Heat and when not to.

I’m not a math genius by any means. But since you’ve joined the forum more often than not I’ve noticed you don’t kill 2 birds a year.  So at that rate even if you did you’d have had to be 60 years old and kill 2 a year since birth.  

• Like 4

Boy oh boy I cant sleep in one day with out you boys picking on each.other . Lolol  . Men always have to have a pissing contest.  The days I have been hunting with bill he would of had 4 by now but he wants me to get one .  And I have goofed up 3 of those times .  And he still trying to help me . I would of gave up on me now

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cynthiafu said:

Boy oh boy I cant sleep in one day with out you boys picking on each.other . Lolol  . Men always have to have a pissing contest.  The days I have been hunting with bill he would of had 4 by now but he wants me to get one .  And I have goofed up 3 of those times .  And he still trying to help me . I would of gave up on me now

No need to get excited....just a little Sunday morning banter with the Man.  

Happy Mother’s Day Ms. Cynthia!!

• Like 2

Well while I’m stuck in Florida still with medical issues the nephews are still hunting. Nice to know traditions that you passed on continue without you.

DEP property in 4P. Came in with another gobbler. 9” beard. Don’t know what time yet. Mossberg shotgun.

We bought a 5 acre a lot that gives us good access to a very productive DEP piece in Roxbury Township. 

Update: Just talked to the kids. Very exciting morning. Cold. Lots of deer. Turkeys gobbled from the trees. Picked up hens and wandered around for a couple of hours. Nephews just waited them out. Two gobblers came from behind could only get a shot at one.

40 yard shot with #6 3” Long Beard ammo. First shot hit low was shooting uphill. Second shot ended it. They said lots of hunters out this morning. Lots of bear sign.

F626CB9F-E97B-4F3C-810D-FE5E8BC5E913.jpeg

Edited by mike103
  • Like 22

How dare anyone call out Billy. Haven't you seen his collection of legs ??

120 birds though... C'mon man

My best practices, especially on public, is to run and gun. Forget trying to let Tom come to you. If they are truly pressured, they aren't gonna hit the fields. If only I started hunting at 2 yrs old I'd have 121 to my name.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

HA- Hi Andrew. It has been awhile . Yeah-- 120. Good times are over though.  Plenty of hunters have taken more then me on this site. Uncle Nicky has 180+ and, I am a good 12 behind Pygmy.   I am just happy to be out these days.
Hello Billy.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Heard a shit load to start the day then they quieted down at quarter to 6 then they were silent to the end. Much nicer day today. Had 3 deer stomping and blowing at my decoys. Took a nap well multiple naps but my last nap had a hen clucking up a storm and woke me up. Sadly no Toms or even jakes followed. Then with 15 mins left in the period a bigger hen walked past and that was all I saw. Oh and I saw a fox/coyote a foxote if you will behind a rock wall and then it decided my decoys were not on the menu

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Like 2

You are getting closer. Keep going out!
Next weekend will hopefully be the weekend. Seems I went to the higher level of the property because that's where they usually are. Today they went at the bottom of the hill. Maybe next weekend they'll have mercy on me and just sacrifice one of themselves so I can sleep in the rest of the month haha

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Like 1

I never was much into turkey hunting, but I am hitting it harder than usual this year, due to the Covid-19 issue.   Usually, most of my spare time is spent fishing at this time of year.  My boat is not big enough for 6 ft "social distance", which rules out my fishing buddies, and my wife and girls are "fair-weather" anglers.   The only turkey that I ever killed was a young hen, in the fall of 2018.  I can count the times that I went after turkeys in the spring on one hand, and include the fall if I use both.

Up until today, I had heard a few gobbles, but was never certain if they were in answer to my calls.   That happened today for the first time.   I heard what sounded like (3) different gobblers, starting about 6:00 am, all a few hundred yards away.  One was to the south, one to the east, and one to the west.   I was in an elevated truck-cap blind, about 5 ft above ground level, on the west side of our farm.   I tried my small wooden, push-button caller first, making a few soft "clucks" out of the windows on each side where I heard birds.   There was no responses then, but that call is not very loud.    

I waited 15 minutes (an "expert" from work recommended that trick), before calling again.    At the time, I made a series of calls, trying to sound like a love-sick hen, using a very loud plastic mouth call.  I aimed those "yelps" out the window to the west, because that was where I had heard the loudest gobble early, so I thought that one must have been the closest.   Right after those yelps, there was a loud gobble from that direction, which came from the woods that were about 150 yards away.  There was a new hay field in between, that was just plowed, worked-up and seeded last fall.   I put down the call and picked up my shotgun, aiming it out of the window on that side.   Another 15 minutes expired and nothing showed, so I put down the gun.   

At the instant the gun stock hit the floor, I heard an "eruption" behind me.  Turning around,  I got a quick look at a turkey in flight thru the open rear truck cap door, that faced the east.  It was at eye level. and about 15 yards away.  I did not notice a beard, but it was a very big bird with a red head.   I assume it was a tom that heard those yelps and snuck in silently from the opposite direction that I expected.  He must have caught my motion, which put him up in the air. 

My next hunt will be next Saturday morning.  I don't expect to fool him from that blind again, so I will go to my other truck-cap blind, over on the east side.   I am also going to use my new crossbow (if I have time to get it sighted in during the week).   The weather is supposed to be much warmer, but my wife and girls are not early risers, so I will have an hour or two to kill (hopefully literally) prior to our first fishing trip of the season.   It would be cool to break my new crossbow in on my first spring turkey.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 5

Ok I’ve given you guys a big enough head start ! Sometime this week, I’ll grab my daughters little 20 ga  and head off to kill a Tom, no way im getting up early though . 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Jay- since you called me out-- here is the Breakdown . 20 years Spring AND Fall in Pennsylvania. Plenty of Turkeys taken. 26 Years-- Spring AND Fall in New Jersey. 31 Years Spring AND FALL in New York.    3-4- sometimes 5 Turkeys a Season for over 20 years.  I hunt the Fall Turkey Season in a serious manner as well often taking my 2 Turkey limit in 1 day when that was legal.   My  Take has dropped off since around 2016. Remember- the Fall Turkey Season was slashed from 6 weeks to 2 weeks.  I have not taken many Fall Turkeys because of the short and now much later Season as it used to open on October 1st.         I have pictures of plenty of my Turkeys . Go to member Journals and check all the pages + Pictures of Bill's Wild Turkey Wanderings. Proof is right there Jay...

I believe you Bill. 40 total seasons in PA, 52 in NJ and 62 in NY when you count fall and spring. That gives you 154 seasons. So to shoot 1 per season is reasonable. Like Cynthia mentioned you could be tagged out right now with 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I pulled over today and messed around with some city birds with the call . Only the bird strutting in this picture would gobble back ,the other tom almost seem to high tail it out of there once I started calling to them.

20200510_222134.jpg

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1