Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

On 5/8/2020 at 8:49 PM, Pygmy said:

You ain,t gonna kill 'em from the couch..

That said, I am fortunate, being retired for the last ten years, I can hunt nearly every day from  dawn until noon, and I usually do, as long as I have a valid tag...

Defintely more gobbling at first light, but most of those birds ae roosted near hens ( in early season without leaves they can probably SEE hens),

and often they are hard to call in because of that... Since 1973, I have seen the sun come up while listening for gobblers perhaps 1000 times or more...For many years I hunted before work in NY and PA, every day as long as I had a legal tag..

The birds that gobble later in the morning IMHO, are generally more willing to do business....

I have  a hunting buddy who is the best turkey hunter I know, and has killed many more gobblers than I have..He has killed LOTS of gobblers between 11:00 am and Noon...Still, he is in the woods every morning before daylight...

spot on. 

Sometimes those hardcore hunters make me feel guilty, so I'll throw this out to the others as well. Do what makes you happy. If hunting from 5-9 scratches your itch, go for it. If hunting from 8-12 is the only way to get you in the woods, go for it.

If you have to, and all costs kill a bird, feel free to roost them the night before and get in the woods at 4 the next day and hunt till noon. It's all what you want out of the experience. Just for the love of god don't beat yourself up if you're not spending every day from 4-12 in the woods. Everyone has a different life situation with family and work. Turkey has always been a fun season for me, and sometimes deer season becomes a chore and a job. Be careful to let neither get that way for you, especially turkey where tag soup isn't exactly an empty winter freezer.

hunt on boys. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I was in an elevated truck-cap blind, about 5 ft above ground level, on the west side of our farm.            

man over the years you've painted a picture of you and your world, and this is the cherry on top. It is exactly what I've known to come and love about you wolc!

I bailed this last weekend. Had I been hearing all sorts of hot birds, that might have motivated me, but I decided to save my energy and get in some points with the wife. Concerning thing for me is that my most active times have always been early season. Oh well, is what it is...

Wow Bill, 120 turkeys is an impressive track record, Congrats on that! In my 30 years of turkey hunting, I've only taken 15 but still love to get after them every spring. I'm sure you'll get Cynthia in position to take one...Good luck!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

So in the fall those are what you targeting?

Super Jakes.....TFF

They are best hunted using a phone booth for a blind...

LOOK  !!  Up in the SKY !! Is it a bird  ? Is it a plane  ?  No It's SUPERBILL....!!!...

Faster than a speeding timberdoodle......More powerful than a gym full of Karate experts...Able to leap tall woods roads in a single bound  !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Weather not perfect this morning in South Ulster, so I decided to get my Covid antibody test in Newburgh. Not a single bird in the fields, but that's been the norm around here this season. Numbers are definitely down. I saw this with the lack of fall birds during last deer season. As of May 1st I've been out several maybe 8 mornings and have only heard two distant gobbles. I've given up dumb hunting from my blind and pretty much walk the land with ears open. I've been over to nearby state forest and things aren't much different. One thing I did notice on state land yesterday/Sunday morning was there wasn't a single hunter. Well we have a couple of decent days coming up and I'll be out there with ears open. Wish we would finally get some real spring weather. Haven't had to use the mosquito spray yet this season.

• Like 1

Day 4 of staying in a tent in the ADK’s on a deer scouting/turkey hunting trip. Have found some birds but have yet to hear a gobble. There still some snow in spots in the woods. The birds I found was a flock of about 10 jakes and toms but it was after 12pm. Haven’t found them again since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Day 4 of staying in a tent in the ADK’s on a deer scouting/turkey hunting trip. Have found some birds but have yet to hear a gobble. There still some snow in spots in the woods. The birds I found was a flock of about 10 jakes and toms but it was after 12pm. Haven’t found them again since.

How about some camp pics? How are heating the tent at night? What’s on the menu?

Birds gobbled good on roost today,probably happy it wasnt snowing ,raining for a 1st time in long time.. pretty muc shut up on the ground.  Had one coming and then it flushed about 80 yard out.. few minutes later a huge coyote came by from where turkey was... smh

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Cynthia + I are close to a Gobbler. She is ready next to that Tree.

20200512_072417.jpg

Kind of an unconventional way to sit if anticipating a gobbler isn’t it?  Have you shown Cynthia the proper way and explained why?

1 minute ago, 2012_taco said:

I'm in catt co forest, I  never been here b4. Nice piece of woods, unfortunately nothing talking. Is anyone familiar with this property? Any suggestions?

If your up above Harwood Lake,it used to be a fairly productive spot.

• Like 1

I’ve been too busy to post, but I had some luck on Sunday morning.  Set up perfectly near roosted birds, had some gobbles but he was henned-up.  The group walked off gobbling but this Jake came back silently to check out my decoy.  Not a big one, but I’m happy.

D75D4D19-22CF-4488-A889-BCEB09E27C52.jpeg

• Like 24