Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I saw one of the biggest bucks of my life in there, went in blind in the dark with the climber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some pretty big bucks like to hang around the swamp area to the east of the lake.

• Like 1

RJust set up in woods , moved 20 yards to , well you know . Then I could see out in green field a single Tom, I tried to move closer to field and he walked off.

Now I’m set up on field with the only hen decoy i own out on it .

edit now there’s a flock out in field to my left can’t see them clearly through brush , forgot Binos 

Edited by Nomad

Few birds talking this AM on adjacent property so I gave up early. Grabbed the camera and scouted out a fox den I found while shed hunting hoping to catch some pups out. Before I even got to the den I saw mama and her 4 pups on the field edge. The pups were racing all over playing but mama was on guard. I couldn't get any closer without her seeing me. Pics aren't very good at this distance but here's a few. fox.jpgfox2.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 16

"Pups" look pretty big for this time of year. Nice shots :yes:
I thought the same, I was planning on getting a few shots of them playing around the entrance of the den but by the looks of it I missed that opportunity weeks ago. They're mobile now! It's awesome watching them stalk around the field, doing their best to "hunt" something.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tom fanned out four hundred yards off on big green hill , bunch of other turkeys around him . 

For an hour and a half the turkeys have all stayed there, now they're moving further away .

3 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Kind of an unconventional way to sit if anticipating a gobbler isn’t it?  Have you shown Cynthia the proper way and explained why?

I was watching them they were up on the hill . I couldn't move . To where I could get ready . It was a bust there anyway after another hunter came walking down the trail.

• Like 2

And done for the season 1025. Had good gobbling off roost this am had a bird coming and a coyote flushed it about 80 yards from me. Went checked some cameras and saw bird were coming by later in am, went back to house took nap and headed out about 940. Set up in front of camera and called ,soft purs and clicks every 15 min. About 10 15  decided to cutt and had 2 birds answer 200 yards or so out. I cut again and bird gobbled right below me , I turned on sight and shifted to my right and he popped up about 35 yards away in middle of rosebushes. He found his way thru and at 30 yards I pulled the trigger nothing dam safe was on.. correct that quick and my season is done! 9.5 in beard and 1 in spursScreenshot_20200512-110326_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b23f7d369626719cf50a61da6af4c498.jpgScreenshot_20200512-110331_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7e22d114d77f657723699172a7b481c8.jpg

• Like 32

48 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

I am still learning 

Move as soon as you think/hear them .move to where they are coming/ in the direction you think( if fence or creek or thicket in way), I had to do that this am as 2 birds I were working were my level down ridge when bird I got gobbled below me ,I literally turned and 30 sec later it was at 40 yards looking for me. Fortunately it took a little bit for it to find path thru rosebushes went behind tree and I was able to get gun on it at 30yards.

• Like 2

All quiet today until finally striking one up at about 1015...long story short, I blew it and missed him at about 35 yards. He came in on the wrong side but ended up calling him in twice, second time in, he knew something wasn't right. He got hinkey and was getting ready to zip out of there and I rushed the shot...no excuses, I still should have had him.  Oh well, nice to have heard a little gobbling and see him go into strut a couple times, hopefully next time ends with a bird over the shoulder. Good luck to all looking to fill tags still.

• Like 3

So how late is too late in everyone's opinion?  I've hunted opening week and mid season, but never hunted "damn nearJune".  Is the last few days too late, or should I try to shuffle some dates around and get back out sooner?