Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

A cool crisp morning for sure and dammit it’s getting lighter early.

Not a gobble yet which continues to perplex me. The farmers did finally till they fields which were fallow last year.

Anyone have history on what a turkey would do with that? Part of me is happy because the weeds were getting high making it hard to get a decent setup and also knowing they’ll plant something for the deer is a good sign. Just don’t know if they’ll come out to a freshly tilled field or if it will help, hurt or not matter at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would think it would bring them in so they could do some bugging and scratching.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For some reason I can live without a nap during deer season, but turkey season I'm a mean bastard if I don't get one.  No problems getting to sleep by 930 or 10 here.  6 is great, anything less than 5 and I'm tapped out by 10am.

I find that with deer I’m sitting a lot. Turkey I almost never leave the woods without a good hike. Maybe that’s part of it?

I also find that I’m always restless before a turkey hunt. Deer I get that way before opening day of gun but not so much other days. So the point there, is that quality of sleep is also important.

Silence here too....but just had a bird within sight on the ground.....he did respond to a soft help.....they all seem to be headed to the field.
Just had a deer blow out down wind of me.....scared the living hell outta me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Silence here too....but just had a bird within sight on the ground.....he did respond to a soft help.....they all seem to be headed to the field.
Just had a deer blow out down wind of me.....scared the living hell outta me.

I could tell the birds were still far away so I got up to piss spooked a doe who ran off in their direction blowing her head off. She is still at at and they haven’t made a sound since

I wonder if the fox that just came from that direction quieted then down too. That was fun lip squeaked him in to 15 yards before I decided it was time to let him know I was there

• Like 1

Made my way to the big cut corn field they are around a hundred yards out one was fanned out they didn't know I was inside the wood line gave a couple soft calls.... Got one to respond but it's real windy they just kept picking bugs and heading the other direction

Watched him n hens walk outta my life. Another gobbler joined up.  Staying put and hope he remembers where I’m at. . It WAS looking good.  But that’s turkey hunting for you.  I should have belly crawled to top of ridge but 8 sets of eyes makes it tough.  

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Made my way to the big cut corn field they are around a hundred yards out one was fanned out they didn't know I was inside the wood line gave a couple soft calls.... Got one to respond but it's real windy they just kept picking bugs and heading the other direction

You'd be better off making a call or two from  a spot they'll never see you and then walking away 150 yards and making a call or two, giving the gobbler the allusion that the hen (you) are losing interest in him, then you STFU for 30 minutes.  Drives 'em crazy and works every time. 

Money back guarantee....... :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

He gobbled easy 300x on roost. Dozen or so on ground. Collected 7 hens. Full strut n silent at 80 yards. Chasing hens. Watched him walk off and another lb joined in. So close. 9508e2bc63e9bba9aa68edfe1b20a405.jpg

I’ve had birds double n triple gobble. He let off a string of 8 without let up. I wanted to kill him because he was probably experiencing a really bad sore throat. Pretty crazy. 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 5

He gobbled easy 300x on roost. Dozen or so on ground. Collected 7 hens. Full strut n silent at 80 yards. Chasing hens. Watched him walk off and another lb joined in. So close. 9508e2bc63e9bba9aa68edfe1b20a405.jpg&key=10e494a395fed7509c49349d15e98e2a4e6f8542922e2d00d5d278e04d872c9d

Damm!

This is my fourth morning turkey hunting and I am pretty sure I am hooked for life now. Had a rooster gobbler at about 150 yards on the other side of the property line this morning. He must have gobbled 20 times in a half hour span but I could not get to come my way. 5 minutes or so I think I found out why. 2 hens flew down to my right and beelined straight to him. I finally got eyes on him at a full strut, still on the other side of the line though. He met up with his ladies and went down the other side of the ridge and out of my life. 

While all this was happening, two deer walked within 10 feet of me. To my left and were either not aware of me or just didn't care. They just casually walked by grazing the ridge, not a care in the world. 

All that makes that 4 AM alarm worth it.

• Like 6

This is my fourth morning turkey hunting and I am pretty sure I am hooked for life now. Had a rooster gobbler at about 150 yards on the other side of the property line this morning. He must have gobbled 20 times in a half hour span but I could not get to come my way. 5 minutes or so I think I found out why. 2 hens flew down to my right and beelined straight to him. I finally got eyes on him at a full strut, still on the other side of the line though. He met up with his ladies and went down the other side of the ridge and out of my life. 
While all this was happening, two deer walked within 10 feet of me. To my left and were either not aware of me or just didn't care. They just casually walked by grazing the ridge, not a care in the world. 
All that makes that 4 AM alarm worth it.

Hang out, he will remember you are there and come back when his ladies leave to sit on the nest

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Y'all are making Turkey Hunting sound all romantic and stuff. I'm getting the itch to ask to tag along with someone.

I am getting my dekes  from storage tonight and some tags...   Have to go to state land... let me know if you want to go, Ill take a day off of work too for this

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1