Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

2 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Ok off to figure out how to clean him . 

there's a method where you cut the wings off and throw him a cooler with boiling water and shake it around for a few minutes. hang him and he plucks super easy. To each his own, but I think breasting out wastes a bunch of good meat.

there's some good youtubes on this method. 

Most importantly, congrats on the bird and thank you bill for being the best kind of hunter, a mentor. 

Edited by Belo

I ended my day without a gobble heard. The hen came in to the decoys at 30 yards. stretched her neck for what seemed like ages, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Kaitlin to turn back into Bruce. 

She ate bugs in the freshly tilled field all the way till around 9:30 when I had to leave. She was about 150 yards away and spooked but I had no choice. Not a peep from her or horny tom or jake to be had. 

Edited by Belo

Great job Cynthia and Bill!  Your persistence has been rewarded.  I learned a much better way to clean turkeys by watching this video years ago:

You can easily get the thigh and leg meat without getting into turkey guts.  It's an easy 10 minute process, no more plucking for me.  As with other critters, the sooner you get to it, the easier to remove the skin.  It's better for the end quality also of course.

• Like 2

I am there already buddy

15894841629796997956069491538404.thumb.jpg.5c7def1ad205d263324c0d56b9f5cacd.jpg

That's what we call around here a " victory Lap"

Nice work on your first LB !!!

But, we all knew when hunting with the white ninja, billy the turkey Slayer, you were guaranteed a bird.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

That's what we call around here a " victory Lap"

Nice work on your first LB !!!

But, we all knew when hunting with the white ninja, billy the turkey Slayer, you were guaranteed a bird.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

On my third but getting tired and 5 am comes fast . Back to work for a couple of days . 

Got get yours bill . 

• Like 1

Out of Likes- Thanks everyone!     Most Hens seem to be nesting full time now. Go to it!

Enough with the black belt handle, time to change to TurkeyMaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

Excellent job Cynthia! Way to go Bill. I went out yesterday with my youngest son . Beautiful weather but no bird wanted to talk , very quiet covered a lot of ground so I got some exercise and fresh air. My nephew stopped over so the three of us did some work on some deer stands. On his drive home he hit a buck with his brand new 2500 Silverado. Quite a bit of damage . Sucks
Good luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Concrats Cynthiafu ! and great job Bill! 

I had 1 going yesterday at first light, gobbled 20+ times and walked away from me. I never got as close as I wanted because i was pretty sure he was roosted on the side of a ridge opposite me and i would bump him if i tried to get any closer. I went to my blind on a field edge as they frequent this field. Stayed till 9, had 1 lone hen come out and feed for 20 minutes. I think Bill is correct,  the hens are starting to hit the nests. At 10:30 I started to head back to the roost site and I got a gobble, he was already there! I called him close, not "IN" as he went 80yds below me. He gobbled 2 more times there so i scratched leaves and waited, next time he gobbled he was heading back to the roost site. So i moved in that direction, he gobbled again ahead of me so I set up and did some soft calls and waited till 12, he never gobbled again? Oh well, best action I've had in days! I couldn't believe it was noon already!

Going to visit my daughter in Baltimore so i don't expect to hunt again till next Wednesday. I''ll get my fix by reading this blog each morning. Good luck people and keep the stories coming!

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

On the road today thru Madison and Cortland counties. Quite a few birds in the fields.

Yeah..Beautiful morning and nobody's hunting..Hehehe..

I'm planning to go out again tomorrow with my buddy Mort...

• Like 2