Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

So after watching gobbler strut for a long time with all his hens I watched them walk into plowed field few hundred yards away. I quickly walked down to check strutting area.  Partial dry area of 30’x30’.  Surrounded by bog and marsh marigolds ( watched a great blue heron fly into it ) . Other sides of area is small creek feeding bog , steep hillside dark AF with pines and old blowdown lines.  I couldn’t even navigate or see through it. No good trees to sit near area BUT one. A smaller pine with low canopy. Perfect at 30 yards . Going in early tomorrow with snips to quick snip and set up daughter n I. Tom picked the ideal location to strut n show his stuff for the ladies. They were there quickly after fly down. On paper this sounds almost like a slam dunk but with turkey hunting there’s more downs than ups. This bird after gobbling at 4:40/ 300x I guess on roost and 7 hens maybe a doozy. The 8 gobble roll blew me away. His head was all white - no blue or white as he danced . I’m going to cry if daughter whacks him for her first. So glad I didn’t kill him yesterday. Weather looks warm so she won’t freeze out.  Noon or bust 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

So after watching gobbler strut for a long time with all his hens I watched them walk into plowed field few hundred yards away. I quickly walked down to check strutting area.  Partial dry area of 30’x30’.  Surrounded by bog and marsh marigolds ( watched a great blue heron fly into it ) . Other sides of area is small creek feeding bog , steep hillside dark AF with pines and old blowdown lines.  I couldn’t even navigate or see through it. No good trees to sit near area BUT one. A smaller pine with low canopy. Perfect at 30 yards . Going in early tomorrow with snips to quick snip and set up daughter n I. Tom picked the ideal location to strut n show his stuff for the ladies. They were there quickly after fly down. On paper this sounds almost like a slam dunk but with turkey hunting there’s more downs than ups. This bird after gobbling at 4:40/ 300x I guess on roost and 7 hens maybe a doozy. The 8 gobble roll blew me away. His head was all white - no blue or white as he danced . I’m going to cry if daughter whacks him for her first. So glad I didn’t kill him yesterday. Weather looks warm so she won’t freeze out.  Noon or bust 

I'm pulling for you and Sam!

Looking forward to some awesome pic's tomorrow my friend!

• Like 2

Boy oh boy had birds almost  every day . Bill knows his shit . He had that bird gobbling for about 2 hours . He made him mad . L I'll lol we found him around 8.30 . Called and called he was coming closer and closer but then he crossed a trail and was walking away from us so we got to the top of the ridge . Bill called and called that dam lazy bird would not come back up the hill he was a fat lazy bird . So we finally moved around to were we thought he would come. Bill sat down about 40 yards from me . And I go all comfortably  . Here he comes . Bill chirped and he turned my way . Watched him fan out his tail . He gobbled . Then made himself all fluffy . He came under a fallen tree. And walk about 30 yards and I let him have it he dropped right where he stood.  Ran down and put my boot on his neck.  And yelled wooohoo . Lolol
20200514_103221.thumb.jpg.88f38c95fe42dc5ddadef802d27bd666.jpg

Amazing!!! Congrats! You are awesome and Bill for sure knows his shit. Between the two of you I think you know every inch of that park!

Bird well deserved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Struggle is real right now. Hunted 3.5 days with barely a gobble. Tomorrow looks good. No plans all day. Neighbor kid is hunting.

Dammit I just can’t decide...

Hunt. After days of no gobbles yesterday was epic. Not every bird gobbles every day. Zero to hero in turkey hunting happens frequently 

• Like 2

Crap.    

I SOOOO want to go out tomorrow morning.  Was hoping to get Aaron his second bird.  

Happens every year. Client needs me to get something done yesterday, or I need to make sure what client wants done is done to their specks.  

So 4.5 yrds of concrete is coming tomorrow morning at 8:30.  Client wants me there to make sure it's done to his specs, even though I recommend the contractor, and trust him completely. 

Hopefully I can get Aaron out on Sunday.  

Good luck those going out tomorrow morning.  Birds should be coming in fast and hot. If not sit tight they will be looking for the sweet talking gal (hunter) later in the morning.  

• Sad 1

Driving to fish today I pass a small parcel I have access to in 3S(bow only considering how tight it is) and big boy is blown up with a white head impressing a hen. However, they are on the opposite side of a 4 lane parkway. I imagine they stay over there and will not venture a road crossing like that?!? I have seen them fly over the road when I busted them once during deer season but doubt they would do that if they are established with a lady

We’re set Fog May have them little late to talk.   I’m literally dripping with sweat.  Kid will not freeze out today lol.  Good luck everyone and enjoy the woods waking up. 

Hope you guys have a blast today! Can’t wait till my kid is old enough. Any tips on hunting in the wind

• Like 1

Two hens maybe same came back and picked plumage and dried off at 15 yards for awhile. Should have video this time. Showed kid subtle slow movements and very quiet whispering ok.  They just went over ridge. Great learning experience and rush for her.  No gobbles yet. 

• Like 6