Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Text book hunt this morning. Soft tree yelps in the early morning darkness. 3 gobbles from the treetops 100 yards away. 3 hens glide down and hit the ground. Hens slowly saunter and feed nearing my low pitched purrs with Tom following behind.  Bang!

IMG_20200517_061237234.jpg

• Like 26

So I went back to where I first saw them this morning at about 11:00 and they were still where I first saw them....no response to any of my terrible calling!
At 11:30 I said let me see if that are still there and sure enough they are ... They walked right past the tree I was hiding behind when I tried to jump them the first time and walk out of my life!
I may be waking up super early and giving it a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Bitched out yesterday, ready to go today. 4am, nope let’s get up at 6 for a later hunt. Nope. Just don’t have the drive this year with the lack of activity.

Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's been a struggle for sure

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have been to a number of Areas this Spring. And out every morning so far. I believe, I only had 1 Morning with No Gobbling. Right now they are Gobbling good and, I know that won't last until late May. Up early Tomorrow and see if, I can get on the NY Board.

I’m going for my 3rd time tomorrow morning before work. 4-8am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I’ve hunted 7x at smaller partial of say 15-20 acres surrounded by 3 other similar surrounding properties. 5x I’ve had birds hang up at 75-100 yards . 1 day no gobbles . Yesterday had him stall early morning and late morning hung up. Then a trespasser snuck in between and shot. He was on a rope. Have heard 5 other shot/ shots on neighboring properties all on birds cutting off my calling. Getting pretty deflated.  When shot heard yesterday at 11:15 I immediately muttered Fug me an removed head net and started breaking down stick blind and gobbler lounger. At this point daughter started crying and said I don’t want you to be disappointed in me as I’ve never shot one. I said what ?! You’ve never missed , you’ve never botched up , scared a bird. I said I should be crying not you as I can’t get one under your gun.She laughed at least.  We’ve been trying since youth season for her years ago. Somehow I manage to usually tag out  each year . Hearing shot on bird yesterday may have been last straw for us this year. Who knows what got whacked the days we didn’t hunt. The trespasser shot really pisses me off. Already wiped and oiled the guns and put back into the safe. She has 2 AP exams this week so truly doubtful I’ll be waking her up at some ungodly hour to go as she needs her sleep . Not going there by myself . Contemplating just pretending tomorrow is June 1st and calling it a season. We’ve had a lot of fun , saw and heard a lot of really cool things during this season. Rant of disappointment over. Good luck to all still with unpunched tags. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

It's May 18th......like you said....take a step back and let all the emotions settle. Don't focus on going out until next week, you and Sam will have the itch by then.

Also consider yourself a lucky man and great father.....this day in age you have a daughter with her head definitely screwed on straight who loves spending time with he Dad! It's not always about the trophy....it's about the life experiences you are exposing her to that will last in her mind forever!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

My 5/18/2020 Gobbler weighed 17lbs. Beard- 8 1/2"s,+ Spurs just under 1" and Sharp.I would say he is a 3 Year old as his Spurs were Sharp- not Blunt like a 2 year old . Not the Biggest Gobbler for Sure-- but the Blackest Gobbler, I have Taken. His Brother who walked in behind him was just as Black.    I think, I shot a  fabled ( Mossyhead) thatflew up from the deep South-- LOL!            Another pic upcoming.

20200518_082715.jpg

Congratulations.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve hunted 7x at smaller partial of say 15-20 acres surrounded by 3 other similar surrounding properties. 5x I’ve had birds hang up at 75-100 yards . 1 day no gobbles . Yesterday had him stall early morning and late morning hung up. Then a trespasser snuck in between and shot. He was on a rope. Have heard 5 other shot/ shots on neighboring properties all on birds cutting off my calling. Getting pretty deflated.  When shot heard yesterday at 11:15 I immediately muttered Fug me an removed head net and started breaking down stick blind and gobbler lounger. At this point daughter started crying and said I don’t want you to be disappointed in me as I’ve never shot one. I said what ?! You’ve never missed , you’ve never botched up , scared a bird. I said I should be crying not you as I can’t get one under your gun.She laughed at least.  We’ve been trying since youth season for her years ago. Somehow I manage to usually tag out  each year . Hearing shot on bird yesterday may have been last straw for us this year. Who knows what got whacked the days we didn’t hunt. The trespasser shot really pisses me off. Already wiped and oiled the guns and put back into the safe. She has 2 AP exams this week so truly doubtful I’ll be waking her up at some ungodly hour to go as she needs her sleep . Not going there by myself . Contemplating just pretending tomorrow is June 1st and calling it a season. We’ve had a lot of fun , saw and heard a lot of really cool things during this season. Rant of disappointment over. Good luck to all still with unpunched tags. 

stick with it. i bet she wants you to hunt!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You've hunted 2x as much as me, but at least had some actions. I've had a tough year as well and feel your pain. Coming off a bad deer season, i'm in one hell of a lull right now. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, catskillkid said:

Text book hunt this morning. Soft tree yelps in the early morning darkness. 3 gobbles from the treetops 100 yards away. 3 hens glide down and hit the ground. Hens slowly saunter and feed nearing my low pitched purrs with Tom following behind.  Bang!

IMG_20200517_061237234.jpg

your hair color doesn't match your screen name! haha congrats man!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

My 5/18/2020 Gobbler weighed 17lbs. Beard- 8 1/2"s,+ Spurs just under 1" and Sharp.I would say he is a 3 Year old as his Spurs were Sharp- not Blunt like a 2 year old . Not the Biggest Gobbler for Sure-- but the Blackest Gobbler, I have Taken. His Brother who walked in behind him was just as Black.    I think, I shot a  fabled ( Mossyhead) thatflew up from the deep South-- LOL!            Another pic upcoming.

20200518_082715.jpg

Congratulations, looks like you are having a banner turkey season!   Heck, you seem to always complain about hunting on public land, yet you are doing a hell of a lot better than most of us others who have access to private land.  Maybe we should come over to where you hunt?  :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Congratulations, looks like you are having a banner turkey season!   Heck, you seem to always complain about hunting on public land, yet you are doing a hell of a lot better than most of us others who have access to private land.  Maybe we should come over to where you hunt?  :)

ON MOUNTAIN BIKES!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

not about the destination but the journey my friend.  Enjoy the times when you can still hunt with your daughter.  Esp being a senior - she will be off and busy at college next spring.  As much as you want her to tag and be successful you both will remember all the times out far more.  Take a few days and try again. Sometimes a little break does wonders.  I bet most of your disappointment is that you want her to succeed so bad and i bet she just as much wants to in your eyes.  You know what that means - you both are good folks and youve sure raised a good kid.  Try again after her tests and you prob drop that bird and if not she will have stories to tell about how her Dad took her turkey hunting during a pandemic.   Good luck to you both!     

• Like 7

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Turkeyfeathers, I want to remind you of this...…. “ deer hunting fills my freezer but turkey hunting fills my heart “ 

That was your quote to me when I got my 2nd ever bird! You wouldn't be getting up before the crack of dawn and spending all that time in the woods if you didn't love all the other things about hunting. Whether you and your daughter get a bird or not you are going to remember all those times together when she is all grown up. My daughter is 15 and I would love to get her out there with me but she just has no interest at all. Probably all the times I took her deer hunting and couldn't see a deer to save my life. You have had action! Get back on the horse and get out there with her when her exams are over.....Pulling for you guys!!!

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 6