Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

Turkeyfeathers, I want to remind you of this...…. “ deer hunting fills my freezer but turkey hunting fills my heart “ 

That was your quote to me when I got my 2nd ever bird! You wouldn't be getting up before the crack of dawn and spending all that time in the woods if you didn't love all the other things about hunting. Whether you and your daughter get a bird or not you are going to remember all those times together when she is all grown up. My daughter is 15 and I would love to get her out there with me but she just has no interest at all. Probably all the times I took her deer hunting and couldn't see a deer to save my life. You have had action! Get back on the horse and get out there with her when her exams are over.....Pulling for you guys!!!

Thanks buddy ! You are 100% spot on.  I know it’s not about the trophy at the end of the day. But the quality time with my daughter and I enjoying the woods.  But not sure who wants her to get a bird more , me or her lol.  I’m sure we’ll be back out there after exams. Just deflating right now. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

My 5/18/2020 Gobbler weighed 17lbs. Beard- 8 1/2"s,+ Spurs just under 1" and Sharp.I would say he is a 3 Year old as his Spurs were Sharp- not Blunt like a 2 year old . Not the Biggest Gobbler for Sure-- but the Blackest Gobbler, I have Taken. His Brother who walked in behind him was just as Black.    I think, I shot a  fabled ( Mossyhead) thatflew up from the deep South-- LOL!            Another pic upcoming.

20200518_082715.jpg

Atta Boy, great bird, Congratulations !!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

That had to be a 2 Man blind strapped to his back. Yeah-- he was Biking in Fast!     And Thanks. Bird earned as, I have been out all 18 Days so far.

Tom # 2 tomorrow?

17 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Possibly.  I have been Taking Cynthia to 2 Different areas. One area has 3 Toms  left after she shot her Bird on the 14th. And where, I was today- I know, I heard 5 Toms Yesterday.  So there are 4 Left in just this one area.  I might look for a different parking area in Sterling Forest next time out.

wow, sounds awesome. i bet you would have helped me kill one today. Have you ever hunted CT? i saw they changed regs to 5 bearded turkeys per spring.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

5/18/2020- 5.45am.  My 1st 2020- NY Gobbler Down. Wish Cynthia was here. It would have been a Double!  I can't leave! I have 2 Gobblers Close + Gobbling on both sides. Been quiet for 5 minutes now. I think, I can sneak out. 1 1/4 mile walk in.          Called both Gobblers in with Clucks + Purrs. They are Deadly!    Primos- Jackpot Glass.  More Detailed Story later when, I get home.

I wish I didnt have to work today . They just changed my schedule  for the week too . I wont get out again till Saturday  . We will  have to do our double  Saturday 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Tell you what Cynthia, I think, I will stay out of those 2 Areas. I want you to get another Bird.      I have 1 more Tag for New Jersey and that State closes this coming Friday.   Yup-- staying out of those areas--- my word.

Hats off to you Bill, My Friend....Turkeys called in for a friend count 2X.....

I've called in some for friends, and I have also killed some that my friends called in for me...It's all good....<<SMILE>>….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We all need to re-charge our batteries now and then...Back when I was in my 30s and 40s I could go every day....Now I have to take a break every few days..

Same  thing applies to my love life....<<GRIN>>…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Hats off to you Bill, My Friend....Turkeys called in for a friend count 2X.....

I've called in some for friends, and I have also killed some that my friends called in for me...It's all good....<<SMILE>>….

I am still a rookie at calling but I am practicing 

10 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve hunted 7x at smaller partial of say 15-20 acres surrounded by 3 other similar surrounding properties. 5x I’ve had birds hang up at 75-100 yards . 1 day no gobbles . Yesterday had him stall early morning and late morning hung up. Then a trespasser snuck in between and shot. He was on a rope. Have heard 5 other shot/ shots on neighboring properties all on birds cutting off my calling. Getting pretty deflated.  When shot heard yesterday at 11:15 I immediately muttered Fug me an removed head net and started breaking down stick blind and gobbler lounger. At this point daughter started crying and said I don’t want you to be disappointed in me as I’ve never shot one. I said what ?! You’ve never missed , you’ve never botched up , scared a bird. I said I should be crying not you as I can’t get one under your gun.She laughed at least.  We’ve been trying since youth season for her years ago. Somehow I manage to usually tag out  each year . Hearing shot on bird yesterday may have been last straw for us this year. Who knows what got whacked the days we didn’t hunt. The trespasser shot really pisses me off. Already wiped and oiled the guns and put back into the safe. She has 2 AP exams this week so truly doubtful I’ll be waking her up at some ungodly hour to go as she needs her sleep . Not going there by myself . Contemplating just pretending tomorrow is June 1st and calling it a season. We’ve had a lot of fun , saw and heard a lot of really cool things during this season. Rant of disappointment over. Good luck to all still with unpunched tags. 

See the source imageSee the source image

• Like 3

He was up there already 75 yards from where I park my car. He must have seen me pull in, turn around, put on my boots, walk to 40 yards of the tree and then look up and there he is. I hung around blocked by some farm vehicles ...deer blowing and crashing all around me- sounds like the opening scene of the lion king! I walked back to my car and he is still there. Clearly he is used to some human foot traffic.

There’s just no way for me to set up tomorrow morning where I saw them Sunday without walking right under him.
What call do I use to get him to fly down toward my car and main farm house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

He was up there already 75 yards from where I park my car. He must have seen me pull in, turn around, put on my boots, walk to 40 yards of the tree and then look up and there he is. I hung around blocked by some farm vehicles ...deer blowing and crashing all around me- sounds like the opening scene of the lion king! I walked back to my car and he is still there. Clearly he is used to some human foot traffic.

There’s just no way for me to set up tomorrow morning where I saw them Sunday without walking right under him.

Have a decoy ? Can you get 50 yards of him really early ? Beat your hat on side of leg simulation of a hen flying down just before you think he should fly down. No call needed if he lands in your lap. Feet touch the ground and send it. If he pitches other way throw a couple really soft clucks. You’re holding trump   Hope he’s not holding both Bauer’s and ace in suit . Look forward to hearing how it pans out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Go in pitch dark no light and get other side of him sit down and shut up. It will fly down and most likely walk by you.  I mean pitch dark 430 .

Have a decoy ? Can you get 50 yards of him really early ? Beat your hat on side of leg simulation of a hen flying down just before you think he should fly down. No call needed if he lands in your lap. Feet touch the ground and send it. If he pitches other way throw a couple really soft clucks. You’re holding trump   Hope he’s not holding both Bauer’s and ace in suit . Look forward to hearing how it pans out. 

No decoys...when is “just before you think he should fly down?” Is that based on light? Will he start to get fidgety or vocal as a sign of fly down?
5d6943cdb58967b4496db16a59fa3ad0.jpg
He stayed in the tree after I pulled out and drove away

Second option is to flush him now and then head direction he went early tomorrow and set up he will be anxious to get back with his hens if there are any nearby. ,do not attempt if it will light across a valley  , I've done this kicking hens out on purpose as well as gobbler away from its hens.. after a night of being alone they are much more responsive . 

Go in pitch dark no light and get other side of him sit down and shut up. It will fly down and most likely walk by you.  I mean pitch dark 430 .

I am hunting a literal strip of woods that are loaded with deer...there’s no way in past him without having a Jumamgi experience!

Just now, crappyice said:

No decoys...when is “just before you think he should fly down?” Is that based on light? Will he start to get fidgety or vocal as a sign of fly down?
5d6943cdb58967b4496db16a59fa3ad0.jpg
He stayed in the tree after I pulled out and drove away

They will get up deficate, stretch, strut and sometime gobble from limb , before it flies down it will wobble back and forth, crouch and drop from tree. Remember it will have better view from up in tree( think hunting out of stand for deer) . If you can get past it in the dark then your chance are better gettignbetwen it and any possible hens who normally roost withing 50 to 100 yards of the tom.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I am hunting a literal strip of woods that are loaded with deer...there’s no way in past him without having a Jumamgi experience!

If it's a strip then walk way out in field in the dark  very early. No flashlight or light of any kind..  And get around him.. unless you feel it will head to road and house.. 

I think I’ve been watching too much ESPN 30 for 30 Bruce Lee would say Be Water I would say Be early and Be farm equipment if you can sneak in and hide amongst the equipment and POW When he touches the ground.  If possible someone goes other side like Gman says he flies out other way POW someone gets a chance and hopefully we can see some closeups he’s a little blurry in the tree but looks nice.  keep us posted. 

I’ve hunted 7x at smaller partial of say 15-20 acres surrounded by 3 other similar surrounding properties. 5x I’ve had birds hang up at 75-100 yards . 1 day no gobbles . Yesterday had him stall early morning and late morning hung up. Then a trespasser snuck in between and shot. He was on a rope. Have heard 5 other shot/ shots on neighboring properties all on birds cutting off my calling. Getting pretty deflated.  When shot heard yesterday at 11:15 I immediately muttered Fug me an removed head net and started breaking down stick blind and gobbler lounger. At this point daughter started crying and said I don’t want you to be disappointed in me as I’ve never shot one. I said what ?! You’ve never missed , you’ve never botched up , scared a bird. I said I should be crying not you as I can’t get one under your gun.She laughed at least.  We’ve been trying since youth season for her years ago. Somehow I manage to usually tag out  each year . Hearing shot on bird yesterday may have been last straw for us this year. Who knows what got whacked the days we didn’t hunt. The trespasser shot really pisses me off. Already wiped and oiled the guns and put back into the safe. She has 2 AP exams this week so truly doubtful I’ll be waking her up at some ungodly hour to go as she needs her sleep . Not going there by myself . Contemplating just pretending tomorrow is June 1st and calling it a season. We’ve had a lot of fun , saw and heard a lot of really cool things during this season. Rant of disappointment over. Good luck to all still with unpunched tags. 
How fast can ya get to camp? Feel bad for the situation, like I said today when we talked I would be trying to tie up some of that surrounding property. Small parcels may be very affordable to tie up and the owners may not even know about leasing until you approach them and or they may not even know people are on their property so you can tell them you wont hunt it but would post it and patrol it. A win win for both.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If it's a strip then walk way out in field in the dark  very early. No flashlight or light of any kind..  And get around him.. unless you feel it will head to road and house.. 

Haha...SE/3S is a different world. I appreciate your help.
There are no fields- this strip of woods is surrounded by backyards, parkways and public parks (like baseball fields and tennis courts).
It is certainly not where I hunt to “get away from it all” but is it super productive for deer and, fingers crossed, turkey!