Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Is there a relatively open area within 50 yards of his roost tree ?   If so, there is a good chance that he will fly down to it...

Gobblers like to fly down to an area where they can see around them for security, and also they can  strut and be visible to hens..

Go in full dark..Don't worry about the deer you bust when it is still dark..The bird will probably  ignore them....

Set up where you can cover the open area ( it could just be an open spot in the woods)....Sit your ass against a tree, keep your turkey calls in your pocket.... He may fly down within range, because they like to fly down in a fairly open area..

If he flies down away from you, try some soft calling....

If he flies down in another direction and does not respond to your calling, you will have some info to use on your next try for him... That's the way it works...Try to glean some info from every time you are in the woods....Good luck !!

Is there a relatively open area within 50 yards of his roost tree ?   If so, there is a good chance that he will fly down to it...
Gobblers like to fly down to an area where they can see around them for security, and also they can  strut and be visible to hens..
Go in full dark..Don't worry about the deer you bust when it is still dark..The bird will probably  ignore them....
Set up where you can cover the open area ( it could just be an open spot in the woods)....Sit your ass against a tree, keep your turkey calls in your pocket.... He may fly down within range, because they like to fly down in a fairly open area..
If he flies down away from you, try some soft calling....
If he flies down in another direction and does not respond to your calling, you will have some info to use on your next try for him... That's the way it works...Try to glean some info from every time you are in the woods....Good luck !!

The “parking area” is the most open area...I’m going to give that a shot. Park elsewhere and then hide behind some vehicles...I did find some wing feathers and tracks in that spot ...now to try and sleep!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

The “parking area” is the most open area...I’m going to give that a shot. Park elsewhere and then hide behind some vehicles...I did find some wing feathers and tracks in that spot ...now to try and sleep!!!!

That's a start...Are there any classic car buffs in the area ?....You may become the first person in NY to shoot a gobbler from behind an Edsel...

You know your camo is doing its job when a chipmunk jumps on your boot and you blow air at it to get it off. Wish I had my phone in my hand would have made a cool pic

• Like 3

My boy was gobbling from the roost about 15+ from 4:45-5:30. He flew down OVER MY HEAD and landed where I normally park (good call Dan on the open area landing zone) but away from where I saw them Sunday. When he was out of my sight and behind a mulch pile I snuck around and found him in the neighbors yard.

81c3d8738dbe00fd845fe22b5e034974.jpg&key=03ca7ea74541450a3f2dcd38b53e433f2610572c6d777118bf17896bd4d10b53

I am now set up where I Hope he will gather his ladies!. No gobbles while on the ground

• Like 1

My boy was gobbling from the roost about 15+ from 4:45-5:30. He flew down OVER MY HEAD and landed where I normally park (good call Dan on the open area landing zone) but away from where I saw them Sunday. When he was out of my sight and behind a mulch pile I snuck around and found him in the neighbors yard.
81c3d8738dbe00fd845fe22b5e034974.jpg&key=03ca7ea74541450a3f2dcd38b53e433f2610572c6d777118bf17896bd4d10b53

I am now set up where I Hope he will gather his ladies!. No gobbles while on the ground

That must have been fun! They have been quiet here too, l I’m hoping they stroll by, I’m literally sitting under a deck with my back against the house. I’d say at least 4 days a week they stroll right through the back yard. Seems to be the days I don’t hunt though

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

They have been quiet here too, l I’m hoping they stroll by, I’m literally sitting under a deck with my back against the house. I’d say at least 4 days a week they stroll right through the back yard. 

You have to be kidding.....why bother? 

Edited by Lawdwaz

You have to be kidding.....why bother? 

It’s not my house, brother in law just moved in. Tons of woods behind the house and I’ve done some scouting.
It is very very very swampy back there.
Once I have a little more time to explore I will feel
Comfortable walking in in the dark.
For now this is the best I have. It’s one of those spots where one wrong move and you are in up to your chest.

And why bother, because it’s nice to sit outside and watch the sun rise. You gotta remember some of us don’t live in the country

• Like 1

Wow-- Lucky you can hunt there.  Woods behind me is Zoned Reidential- No Hunting.  I would never hunt Fred + Barney + the Flock back here anyway.           I am the last house on a Dead-end Road. A few guys have come down to roadscout and, I had to tell them-- no hunting down here. 

Yea man it’s actually a really cool spot. I have navigated through the swamp in daylight and put out some trial cams. Honestly I’ve never seen so much deer sign in my life as I have back there

• Like 1

I just had a poult come through from behind me. I could barely see its head over the skunk cabbage. Behind it was a bigger bodied bird but couldn’t tell if it was a Tom- it busted me while I tried to turn and took a path further from me while following the baby. I have a ladder stand right there and almost sat in it this morning- I wasn’t sure if being in a ladder would help or hurt me since I am hunting with a bow

I just had a poult come through from behind me. I could barely see its head over the skunk cabbage. Behind it was a bigger bodied bird but couldn’t tell if it was a Tom- it busted me while I tried to turn and took a path further from me while following the baby. I have a ladder stand right there and almost sat in it this morning- I wasn’t sure if being in a ladder would help or hurt me since I am hunting with a bow

I would guess help, they are always under my ladder stands in deer season

44 minutes ago, crappyice said:

You guys like hunting like that?  Looks like you are hunting right next to someone's backyard.  

You guys like hunting like that?  Looks like you are hunting right next to someone's backyard.  

Does it get me in the “woods” more since its only 20 minutes from my house? Yes.
Do suburban patches like this produce some nice game? Yup
Is it legal? Yup-bow only
Is it my preferred style of land to hunt? No

I actually started hunting here on request of the property owner since he and his neighbors were fed up feeding the deer their landscaping- turns out it’s honey hole for some big deer-4 years in a row my buddy and I took a nice bucks out of here and numerous does for the freezer.

10162bc434afce8a9330913c14c03bb8.jpg
73f38b7333c15eb6b172de2e5e646479.jpg
fa22e888c8267d928903d173f4d45b17.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Does it get me in the “woods” more since its only 20 minutes from my house? Yes.
Do suburban patches like this produce some nice game? Yup
Is it legal? Yup-bow only
Is it my preferred style of land to hunt? No

I actually started hunting here on request of the property owner since he and his neighbors were fed up feeding the deer their landscaping- turns out it’s honey hole for some big deer-4 years in a row my buddy and I took a nice bucks out of here and numerous does for the freezer.

I've done some of this style at my old house. I think for me it was ok in small doses and put a few nice doe in the freezer, with some chances at some real trophies. It's not my preference either and I'm not sure how "proud" i'd be with a shoulder mount of a suburban deer next to some of the others I have. That's not an attempt to disparage anyone hunting like that, i've done it and do it still. It's just a little less of the hunting spirit than I'd like. 

• Like 1

Damnit!!!
After a silent post fly down few hours, Figured that bird went to another area at the end of the prop so I said I will walk as far away from where I think they travelled to get to where I think they now are. Sure enough start making my way and a whole pile of turkey are on the path that I juts knew they wouldn’t be on...back track and go the other way to see if I can find a suicidal bird...good times!!!

• Like 3

I have been trying to figure out an excuse to "have" to make trip to pa earlier than our last week turkey vacation.

So one of my customers wants a custom built balcony railing and staircase railing and with what he wants I "needed" to build it in my shop in pa..that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

I got here yesterday evening and once I got the truck unloaded it was off to gather intell for this morning. I saw gobblers at all 6 properties 5 of which had multiple longbeards heading into the woods for the night.

I decided I was going to hunt the co-op farm as I had unsettled business with an ivory spurred gobbler. This farm gets pounded as it's open public hunting.

I parked the truck at 245 am and by 345 I was in an outside corner of the woods off a fresh drilled corn field.

It finally started getting bright in the sky to the east and no gobbles close but 8 other birds gobbling that I could hear but none close.

Finally it's full light and he blasts a gobble 100 yards out front just over the the steep bank. I can see him barely through the leaves but I could make out the black bump against the tree trunk. I dont know why but this bird always has roosted right tight to the tree trunk not out on the limb.

He gobbles 3 more times hitting crows and I figure you better do your thing b4 he calls in another hunter.

I set the bomber in my lap got the wing and knew it couldn't be a full flydown cause he would see me.

Did a quick flydown while he was faced away from me and quickly grabbed the bomber as he blasted a d&l gobble at me. I did 2 really soft clucks that even I could barely hear but he gobbled and as I was setting the call down and grabbing the gun he pitched out and his feet hit the deck at 30 yards.
I had to let him walk into an opening at 25 yards b4 I could see his legs in the scope to make sure it was the right bird. As soon as I saw the ivory white spurs I eased off the safety and dropped him where he stood.

He is the 3rd gobbler with ivory spurs I have shot on that farm and hoping he passed those genetics along. His tail sure ain't the purtiest but he will do with 1 1/16 & 1 1/8 inch sharp spurs.cbfa787209e08dd7c2d40f92d884e852.jpgf2e1f3599b5eed3c3356f15e448fa449.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 30