Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

4d8b33f7c43783903478157b98447efe.jpg&key=eca04a3a9d4db056e74cb2923e6fd302817caa2ac3bf9d2380db798b854b80a7

Found a pile of hens and what seems to be their nesting site but didn’t see a big boy.... until I was driving home!

8711492cb446e76030a5acfccfa10257.jpg&key=dcaba1341e3fa864d12e10157a9a8a157a316cf0547c91a43389b6f388163519

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a huge tom on the side of the sprain down by ridge hill on my way to Siwanoy today

Does it get me in the “woods” more since its only 20 minutes from my house? Yes.
Do suburban patches like this produce some nice game? Yup
Is it legal? Yup-bow only
Is it my preferred style of land to hunt? No

I actually started hunting here on request of the property owner since he and his neighbors were fed up feeding the deer their landscaping- turns out it’s honey hole for some big deer-4 years in a row my buddy and I took a nice bucks out of here and numerous does for the freezer.

10162bc434afce8a9330913c14c03bb8.jpg&key=79ea8c36367ece4a132ec193aa213a175c4cf72a22828b4f47823fe5a34f82af
73f38b7333c15eb6b172de2e5e646479.jpg&key=fed513eb6dc1ab56db306b727e1becfe0842f83cd912f7af8c55ae592e896eda
fa22e888c8267d928903d173f4d45b17.jpg&key=2adfc402d3b43b35b85953fe1eff9d19ac7d7bff5b034fa8eabbb07dacae8c59

What’s that landowners name and address? I have a check I need to drop off to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I saw a huge tom on the side of the sprain down by ridge hill on my way to Siwanoy today

The pic from above was from the Jackson ave entrance. There are usually a few up last the damn tucked on the right too.

The pic from above was from the Jackson ave entrance. There are usually a few up past the damn tucked on the right too.

31 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Anybody out there ? Pretty morning from our front steps drinking coffee. 

I’m out here wishing I was drinking coffee. Had a couple on roost and they headed away from me. Called a hen in and now all is quiet.

20923E1D-FBC9-4F90-AEB7-20D0FEF2B972.jpeg

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

I’m out here wishing I was drinking coffee. Had a couple on roost and they headed away from me. Called a hen in and now all is quiet.

20923E1D-FBC9-4F90-AEB7-20D0FEF2B972.jpeg

Pretty shot. If you had the time, would be cool to go back get a picture this summer, this fall and in the winter, same location. Be a nice 4 portrait, 4 season wall hanging. 

• Like 7

Good gobbling action early now its quiet. Had 3 doe walk by at 10 feet in the dark
Had 7 hems 3 Jake's and a 2 year old walk by at 10 yards.
The big gobbler was 100 yards to my left for some reason he roosted on the field edge last night. Oh well that woulda made for a really short season. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Good gobbling action early now its quiet. Had 3 doe walk by at 10 feet in the dark
Had 7 hems 3 Jake's and a 2 year old walk by at 10 yards.
The big gobbler was 100 yards to my left for some reason he roosted on the field edge last night. Oh well that woulda made for a really short season. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Are you sure you aren't hunting in some sort of turkey pen with all that action you see every time you go out??   Sure as hell isn't like that for the rest of us!!   :)

Well that's it for me folks. Packing in my blinds. Putting away my gear. Turkey numbers are down here in South Ulster. Last two seasons are the slowest I've seen. I pretty much knew it would be a tough season with the lack of birds I saw during deer season last fall. I was hoping the easy winter would help things or that birds would move in from surrounding areas, neither happened. So now I look forward to Oct 1 for deer season. Hope next yr is better. I do have hope because the last ten years or so I have seen some great seasons.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Are you sure you aren't hunting in some sort of turkey pen with all that action you see every time you go out??   Sure as hell isn't like that for the rest of us!!   :)

He’s put thousands of miles on truck and countless hours of scouting in since February. Obviously it pays off. 

• Like 2

I was out till 830, no turkeys seen or heard. I did see a yote close and a deer 15 yards away. Found a turkey feather and picked it up for good luck. Hope it works soon, my season ends Saturday, make or break by then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

He’s put thousands of miles on truck and countless hours of scouting in since February. Obviously it pays off. 

I know it pays off.  I surely don't include myself in the category of a good turkey hunter, but I've hunted them long enough to know that most people don't get the type of action he seems to get most every day he goes out.  I've followed this thread and he's had phenomenal success.  Good for him, ain't taking anything away from him I'm just making the observation that the land he hunts must be far superior than where most others hunt.  That type of action just don't happen everywhere.  Reading thru the thread I more often hear people (and I'm sure many of them are decent enough hunters) saying they didn't hear a peep than I hear about his type of action as being the norm.

• Like 1

One more day of work, then I have 10 days off. Hoping to make it happen late season this year. Good luck to those still trying to punch a tag. Lonely gobblers in the late season can turn a slow season around in an instant.

My view.....when I zig they zag. A few days ago I was setup deeper in the woods....they pitched off the roost and beelined for this field.....this morning I sneak in setup off the field and the line. Gobbler off the roost has pitched down and headed the opposite way.

Also just had a nice buck in the field ......antlers just below the tips of his ears already.b33416cccb8a1eac9ba4f1e719a4e103.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 7