Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Been a fun few days, called in a longbeard for a buddy and his kid that they ended up boogering up cause they couldn't sit still.
Yesterday I put a loudmouth hen right in their lap for 20 minutes so they got the whole gammit of hen talk and close.
This all day hunting is a joke around here, from guys whacking birds from their vehicles to late shooters...we were all standing on the porch last night devising a plan for this morning when we heard 2 shots from 2 different guns and I said well those 2 Jake's we watched heading for the island of trees at Darla's just got limb lifted! The time? 9:18 PM! And no that's not a typo and yeah there was enough light that so.eone could shoot but WELL past legal time.

So this morning I decided to go way down the hollow from the gas line where I called that longbeard in the other day. I knew he roosted below the cow pasture right in the base of the hollow. An old log skidder trail would give him a open path to me if he decided to play.
With a slight drizzle and overcast skies he gobbled late, after 3 gobbles with long waits in between it was finally light enough in the woods for him to feel comfy but he was 250 yards out but I didn't know where all his hens were as I only could here 5 close to him.
Found out where hen number 6 was after my first series of calls as she literally knocked my hat off when she flew in and scared the crap outa me. She landed 5 feet from me and started feeding .
She got out 39 yards and my next series of clucks and 2 yelps and he cut me off 100 yards out and my close hen started purring and came back to me.
Within a couple minutes a train of hens came down the logging road with a white head following that was all I could see
3 hens walk past me at 6 feet as I am leaned against a big tree with multi floral roas around it just on the edge of the logging road. Finally he is in the clear of hens and lights out at 25 yards.

fc440a545fa1697c4147db8ecc932c94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 26

16 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yes he did.  Details tomorrow afternoon, I’m at my friends house and will be staying over tonight, he has some chores for me to help with. I’m whipped so bad now.......

5DEDEB4F-9AF9-44F4-9E14-27F14CF14A72.png

Congratulations Larry!!!  Nice gobbler my friend!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Daughter and I will keep you company.  Alls quiet so far.  

Alright! Back in the game! Pulling for you guys!

Edit, saw after you tapped out due to farmer plowing field. Get back out there!

Edited by ApexerER

Not a single gobble today, but i am set up for tomorrow morning in a new spot. I found my first morel of the season and checked in on my wood duck box.

228ced6d09f411c17d365c8fdce9d3ae.jpg&key=e1fc58b5aebdd0fde00ffffbf30da31bdaab5c7155b822bb559203602184a7f6

91881e1b6111cd77637c702cc6ce7a2d.jpg&key=e927e7fa2a1cdb468a5f3b668f95e7853553191b2eac45f1d9afda926e588bc4

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 16

Day 8 of total silence, it's bizarre. Not in "all my years" has this happened , nor have I ever spent this many days after spring birds.  

Silent in terms of turkey. All in all it was very load today, I wish it would've be quiet.  I heard a dog bark like mad for a half hour straight.  At a crazy fast rate, especially for how long it was.  Then once he slowed down I could hear another noise. At the distance it was, I wasn't sure at first if it was a hunters bad yelps or what?  Then I realized it was I high pitched raspy bark. Probably a coyote playing with the dog driving it nuts.  They exchanged barks for another half hour. What a racket.  But I can't believe someone would let their dog bark non stop for an hour.  

These birds are henned up, hard.  The miss earlier I had a hen putting at me from 15 feet away, getting ready to bust.  As soon as she moved I took the shot at the gobbler.  Evidently my depth perception sucks.  First bird of the day gobbled on the roost, hit the ground and walked down the hill.  Was fired up on the roost, 1 gobble from the ground.

Interesting hunt and I'm happy to finally get some action with gobbles, full struts and an absolute giant tom.

It was definitely a case of should I move or shouldn't I and I chose wrong. The 3 birds at the far side of the field went west and over a knob and out of site. 2 things would happen. They would head north on private land and out of my life forever, or head south to one other 2 fields behind me, or up the hedgerow I was in. Honestly I really thought about and wanted to move to a pinch point that they do travel on quite a bit, but there was also a chance another bird might come out of the pines to my east... but realistically it was me just being comfy and also a little lazy not wanting to move dekes...telling myself i'd get busted.

I had a conference call at 9 and figured I'd just stay put. Well... around 8:45 I look behind me (i'm in a hedgerow between 2 fields) and there's a hen at about 80 yards. I watch for a while and doesn't the same tom end up following close behind. I call a few times. He hears and perks up but has no interest in parting with the real thing.

Had I moved I woulda, coulda, maybe... still good to see a big bad boy displaying and the whole 9. I probably have 2 hunts left, both with kids. But it was a good morning to be in the woods none the less. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cas said:

Day 8 of total silence, it's bizarre. Not in "all my years" has this happened , nor have I ever spent this many days after spring birds.  

Silent in terms of turkey. All in all it was very load today, I wish it would've be quiet.  I heard a dog bark like mad for a half hour straight.  At a crazy fast rate, especially for how long it was.  Then once he slowed down I could hear another noise. At the distance it was, I wasn't sure at first if it was a hunters bad yelps or what?  Then I realized it was I high pitched raspy bark. Probably a coyote playing with the dog driving it nuts.  They exchanged barks for another half hour. What a racket.  But I can't believe someone would let their dog bark non stop for an hour.  

4 out of 5 of my hunts this year were like that, but today was different. I'm with you though, strange year for me in 8F.

my parents are up near inlet in the daks (north of old forge). Over the last 3 or 4 years the turkey population has really grown up there. We never used to see them and now we see them all the time. Anyhow, she ran across a hen with polts already, which kinda shocked me, especially that far north. Might explain a little bit of the low gobbling. 

Total newb to turkey hunting, having only been a couple/few times on my own.  I have little idea as to what I'm doing, in part because I haven't done much of it.  Hoping to learn more.

Went out yesterday morning, and found a gobbler on the roost.  Lucky strike.  He didn't think much of my calls, or I spooked him walking in.  He flew down, and then gobbled all the way off my neighbor's property...  Barred owls jumped trees and then through the scene around the same time.  After they left, I thought another hunter started incessantly calling with clucks and purrs.  Couldn't see him, and each time I moved to take another look, the call intensity increased.  This went on for 40 mins.  Real good calling from what I've heard.  I got fed up, and thought he was trying to tell me to get out.  So, I stood up to go find him and at least meet him.  Haven't met anyone else on my neighbor's that has rights to hunt.  Right as I took my first step, the hen roosting above me blew out of the tree in a panic.  Ha.  Should have sat still.

This morning, I went back, hoping that the tom would roost there again.  No dice.

Two beautiful dawns in the woods, though.

• Like 1

OK-- THE 9TH INNING IS COMING UP!  I have taken a few Slammer Gobblers on Memorial 3 Day Weekend!       If Ya'All smell any Citronella while you are set up-- that would be me passing by-- LOL!:assassin:

Dream Team Double...I’ll be waiting!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

As I mentioned, the story.  So yesterday morning I had no gobbles off the roost and started to make a trip around to the south trying to elicit a gobble. I came to one of my trail cams that had a card that hadn't been looked at in a couple months.  I pulled the card and then made a couple yelps, getting a good gobble maybe 150 yards away but across a very steep and deep gully.  I had to at least try and get him to come across as you just never know.........the thing is, if I'd have tried the crow call first like I usually do in a situation where setup could be tough, I'd have got that gobble and went way the heck up and around to get on his side of the gully but no, that didn't happen.

So after about 20-25 minutes I could tell he wasn't coming.  Then I hoofed it up and around to his ridge and all was quiet there!  Hmm, maybe he went up that ridge, crossed a pasture and was headed up to a known strutting area??  OK now I had to head back to the north and sneak up the outside edge of the little pine brush lot and get to the top edge and THEN, find an open area to make a call.  After another 20 minute sneak, I was where I wanted to be and scoped out a likely tree.  I stood there, made my fairly quiet yelps and damn, GOBBLE GOBBLE right to the south of me, CLOSE.  I quickly saw the tree I liked sucked and had to find another yesterday. :)

I sat down and within just a few minutes here comes to adult Tom turkey.  They were close, inside 40 yards.  As they came closer I tried to look for my opportunity to raise the gun and suddenly the 2nd bird putts twice.  The first one is closer now, like 30 yards close.  He turns to retreat with his buddy and has to go behind a good sized white pine; now or never!  I pull up and the second bird putts some more, the first one steps out from behind the pine and............

jbpcWKM.jpg

He was a good bird; 19lbs, 9.5" beard and 1" and 7/8" spurs (measured at home)  The picture above I took when I got back to my truck with my camera, not phone.  Nicer color with that camera....

I mentioned in another thread here that I saw a bear track in the mud yesterday, the first I've ever seen. 

D41238F5-219B-409C-8D9E-D44B6A7FD3F1.jpeg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 22