Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Does anyone ever use a gobble shaker and if you do when is the appropriate time to use it? I would only use 1 on private land where I know there shouldn't be another hunter within range. I have seen gobblers come running in to get between their hens and another approaching gobbler, much to their demise, but I was wondering how would you guys use the call?

5 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Does anyone ever use a gobble shaker and if you do when is the appropriate time to use it? I would only use 1 on private land where I know there shouldn't be another hunter within range. I have seen gobblers come running in to get between their hens and another approaching gobbler, much to their demise, but I was wondering how would you guys use the call?

I have one but don’t use when daughter is with.  Years back I had a slow morning of nothing talking.  Late morning a jake sounds off and that triggered ole Tom to thunder. I called and no response.  So I hit the gobble call followed by a 3 note yelp. Gobbler goes off again . Pretty soon Tom was running through the field and covered 250 yards in no time. Picking dandelion heads while running. I still have that image clear as day stuck in my head. He stopped running at about 35 yards from me when he took a beak full of #5’s.  I think I said holy $hit that worked out loud. 

We bagged it. Gotta go pick up new whip for daughter . No birds heard 

I use it when I’m desperate to know where a gobbler has gone after being silent for too long and I need to leave or make a move NOW.  It’s a last ditch effort that I maybe use once or twice a year.  

I just leave the rubber band on my box call and shake......it sounds great to me!!

What made me think about it was Monday when i was in Farmersville and was working 2 birds, I heard what I think was the 2 guys that snuck in from the field above me try to gobble call. It was the worst sounding gobble I have ever heard, and within minutes both birds shut up and disappeared. It really sucked because 1 of the birds was coming in and was real close, just below me on a lower bench. The other bird was in front of me about 80 yrds. I was waiting for any second when the close bird poked his head up to look over the ridge for me. And just like that it was over. 5 minutes later i saw the other hunters head back out to the field they came in from. 

PS. Jay why don't you use it when your daughter is with you? Safety reasons i assume?

If they can fly up to a limb, they must be close to 2 weeks old...That is a big milestone...When they can start roosting in trees instead of on the ground, their survivability increases exponentially..It also means they have feathers rather then down, which helps them survive wet/cool weather...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’m surprised how long it takes poults to grow, whereas waterfowl look like adults in two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reminds me of one of my girlfriends when I was in my early teens....She was covered in down, and then I GOOSED her and before I knew it she was fully feathered...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wow-- set up near a Pond Almost 1 1/2 miles in and had to shine my Flashlight on another Turkey hunter already at 5.45am.  The Horrible Yelping got nearer and, I cleared my Throat and my 40 dollar ultra bright flashlight did its job.  
Wow

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got up at 3, checked the radar and blew it off. Tomorrow is another day. I'm not driving over an hour each way to get wet! FN weather channel had me hoping to get in a hunt until around 9 this morning only to get up and wtf! Lairs all of them! Sorry, rant over. maybe.....

• Like 2