Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

24 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Back out in Farmersville, real quiet,  haven't heard any gobbles. Not sure what to do other than wait a little and hope someone wakes up! 

I’d be hitting the Shoe Leather Express and making something happen.  Damn the Posted signs, nobody’s out hunting today. The World is Yours, Tony!!!!

• Like 1

Got this bird in to 40 yards yesterday morning hammering the whole way but altho I could see the bird and could have shot it had I had a tag and gun jason couldn't see it
So with all the rain and storms yesterday until it cleared off later we were going to try and roost him. Well just as yesterday morning later we watched 7 Jake's put a whipping on him and last night saw the same thing.
We had a long walk and needed a lot of time as Jason's knee issues have gotten worse as the week went on. Also there is a fresh planted field along the narrow strip of woods I intended for us to set up in. So we had to walk past our Intended set up location go around the end of the new planting and back to our set up spot as I will not walk across fresh plantings.

We set up within 100 yards of last night's fight location that went on at 830 PM. Figured he should be roosted close to there.
It was foggy and dead quiet but I had already told jason a hen would be roosted close by as she has been there every day since March.
Finally it was full light and i see 3 hens and a Male turkey working down to the corner from the south. Completely opposite from where I expected the longbeard to be, turns out it was a jake and he walked down thru the bottom and past me at 5 yards and out in the field in front of jason and he said I have never intentionally shot a jake last day last hour I still ain't gonna shoot one.
10 minutes later we hear a gobble from up top where the longbeard roosted the day before. I give him some sweet talk and he blasts back and the 3 hens to my left crank up. We see him walk right past the tree we were sitting against yesterday.
30 minutes later jason says here he comes he is in the grass walking straight to us. He fed his way stopping occasionally to strut and at 18 yards took a full load of #5 shot to the head.

Jason needed to head back to ny this morning and we figured 8 am we would have to head for camp we had 15 minutes to spare.

Had a great season, I watched 8 longbeards get shot, 2 Jake's get shot by the kids and 1 longbeard my granddaughter shot from the blind I set up for her and her dad.
Will have to say I am flat wore out, been scouting and hunting since late Feb early March and have not missed a woods wake up since March 1st. Little over 7000 miles on the truck chasing these crazy birds but some great memories and some disappointment as my Nebraska and Ohio hunts got cancelled

Tomorrow begins 2021 spring scouting.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Got this bird in to 40 yards yesterday morning hammering the whole way but altho I could see the bird and could have shot it had I had a tag and gun jason couldn't see it
So with all the rain and storms yesterday until it cleared off later we were going to try and roost him. Well just as yesterday morning later we watched 7 Jake's put a whipping on him and last night saw the same thing.
We had a long walk and needed a lot of time as Jason's knee issues have gotten worse as the week went on. Also there is a fresh planted field along the narrow strip of woods I intended for us to set up in. So we had to walk past our Intended set up location go around the end of the new planting and back to our set up spot as I will not walk across fresh plantings.

We set up within 100 yards of last night's fight location that went on at 830 PM. Figured he should be roosted close to there.
It was foggy and dead quiet but I had already told jason a hen would be roosted close by as she has been there every day since March.
Finally it was full light and i see 3 hens and a Male turkey working down to the corner from the south. Completely opposite from where I expected the longbeard to be, turns out it was a jake and he walked down thru the bottom and past me at 5 yards and out in the field in front of jason and he said I have never intentionally shot a jake last day last hour I still ain't gonna shoot one.
10 minutes later we hear a gobble from up top where the longbeard roosted the day before. I give him some sweet talk and he blasts back and the 3 hens to my left crank up. We see him walk right past the tree we were sitting against yesterday.
30 minutes later jason says here he comes he is in the grass walking straight to us. He fed his way stopping occasionally to strut and at 18 yards took a full load of #5 shot to the head.

Jason needed to head back to ny this morning and we figured 8 am we would have to head for camp we had 15 minutes to spare.

Had a great season, I watched 8 longbeards get shot, 2 Jake's get shot by the kids and 1 longbeard my granddaughter shot from the blind I set up for her and her dad.
Will have to say I am flat wore out, been scouting and hunting since late Feb early March and have not missed a woods wake up since March 1st. Little over 7000 miles on the truck chasing these crazy birds but some great memories and some disappointment as my Nebraska and Ohio hunts got cancelled

Tomorrow begins 2021 spring scouting.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Man that's fantastic! That is definitely one hell of a season and seems like you guys earned every one of those birds! Can't wait to see what next year has in store!

I'm Surgical

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’d be hitting the Shoe Leather Express and making something happen.  Damn the Posted signs, nobody’s out hunting today. The World is Yours, Tony!!!!

I did, I walked and crow called the entire property.  Went across the road and tried a couple of spots on the neighbors property, then I  went to the state land above Harwood Lake. Never heard a single gobble! 

And you only have 1 spring tom under your belt?!?
Come on man....represent!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I drew a picture. The little X are supposed to be the parade of other turkey that were all being led in. And that is how! Also only 1 bird per day20200530_203702.jpg

I'm Surgical

Headed out solo as daughter not feeling well . Good luck to all headed out for the last day of what felt like  opened yesterday and lasted forever. Assuming if I don’t hear a bird by 7 I’m outta there. Can’t shoot what isn’t there. Nice brisk morning , overcast and no wind. Sounds good on paper at least. 

• Like 1