fasteddie

Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

Recommended Posts

I have never taken Turkey hunting seriously and have only gone a couple times....This year I am all in....

Saturday - I went to a farm some friends of my parents own. Apparently they told my parents along time ago I could hunt there but my parents told them, nah, he has a lease. They were talking about their friends and I happened to ask if anyone hunts there and they said no but they said you can.....Would have been nice to know a long time ago...Lease, at least 45 minutes from my house, this farm is 10 minutes. 

So I walked the land which is all fields and hedge rows and there were 5 hens and two strutters in the back field when I entered the field. They quickly exited but it was exciting to see them. I went back last night and set a blind up on the back edge of their property where it transitions to woods and where the Turkeys entered when they ran out of the field.

Sunday - I met one of my buddies at 5 am at the lease. He Turkey hunts every year and is going to show me the ropes. We did a lot of walking and owl hooting. The turkeys were gobbling like crazy. We heard at least 8-10 different gobblers. It was really cool to hear and got me jacked. We then patterned my shotgun and spent a couple hours shooting clays....

My buddy is going to hunt with me Sunday 5/3 on the lease which is the first day he will be able to get out. I am looking forward to learning from him. 

Friday and Saturday I will be on my own and plan to sit on the farm I got permission to hunt on.....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I have never taken Turkey hunting seriously and have only gone a couple times....This year I am all in....

Saturday - I went to a farm some friends of my parents own. Apparently they told my parents along time ago I could hunt there but my parents told them, nah, he has a lease. They were talking about their friends and I happened to ask if anyone hunts there and they said no but they said you can.....Would have been nice to know a long time ago...Lease, at least 45 minutes from my house, this farm is 10 minutes. 

So I walked the land which is all fields and hedge rows and there were 5 hens and two strutters in the back field when I entered the field. They quickly exited but it was exciting to see them. I went back last night and set a blind up on the back edge of their property where it transitions to woods and where the Turkeys entered when they ran out of the field.

Sunday - I met one of my buddies at 5 am at the lease. He Turkey hunts every year and is going to show me the ropes. We did a lot of walking and owl hooting. The turkeys were gobbling like crazy. We heard at least 8-10 different gobblers. It was really cool to hear and got me jacked. We then patterned my shotgun and spent a couple hours shooting clays....

My buddy is going to hunt with me Sunday 5/3 on the lease which is the first day he will be able to get out. I am looking forward to learning from him. 

Friday and Saturday I will be on my own and plan to sit on the farm I got permission to hunt on.....

Nice! Sounds like a good place to be come opening morning! I would kill to be able to hunt 10 min from the house 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17acd814972165999f42f33443c4afce.jpg&key=dcac9e8051076454b5b89f48d683ea49040bb885526f3156d17775cafe3782ce

Let’s effing go!

Undecided gun or bow for 5/1, but I’ll be out there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are getting a little too use to the life of WNY...ummm...quarantine!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, crappyice said:


You are getting a little too use to the life of WNY...ummm...quarantine!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I have been the model citizen! Everyone should be proud. Unlike many of those WNYers, the last time I was physically in a store was March 28th at Lowe's. Today I took daughter to 3-month checkup, but otherwise have not been in a store since 3/28.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

17acd814972165999f42f33443c4afce.jpg

Let’s effing go!

Undecided gun or bow for 5/1, but I’ll be out there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i sealed the deal with one of those on opening day last year.  On the tail of a turkey as he was jumping from 3 different fields.  Snuck up on edge of field where he was strutting as i got rid of my pack and had that call in my pocket.  A couple of light yelps and dumped him at 8 yards! I have a box call i use but i stick that in my pocket - if i think they are close so they wont see movement or if they are just out of range to try to bring them in with a little light yelp.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17acd814972165999f42f33443c4afce.jpg&key=dcac9e8051076454b5b89f48d683ea49040bb885526f3156d17775cafe3782ce

Let’s effing go!

Undecided gun or bow for 5/1, but I’ll be out there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is probably the most under utilized call for a madden turkey hunter! You can make sweet music with a push pin and anyone can use it. That’s the call I recommend for every beginner.

There’s an old timer that lives in my town that hunts with a H&R single shot 20ga with a modified barrel and a push pin call and I don’t think he’s ever eaten a turkey tag in my life time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s hope hunting goes better than scouting for me. First night out doing a little scouting I hit 4 spots 2 private 2 public and I bumped birds in all 4 spots. Let’s hope my stealth game improves by Saturday!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

17acd814972165999f42f33443c4afce.jpg

Let’s effing go!

Undecided gun or bow for 5/1, but I’ll be out there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I killed my first turkey with a push button call like that one. I remember it like it was yesterday even though it was 1997. I wasn't really sure what I was doing at all. It ended up being a jake that came in all by himself. Getting him really lit my fire for turkey hunting for the next 10 years or so. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all but I can’t take credit for the push call. [mention]turkeyfeathers [/mention] told me what to buy given my limited experience and probaly just 1 day attempt


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks all but I can’t take credit for the push call. [mention]turkeyfeathers [/mention] told me what to buy given my limited experience and probaly just 1 day attempt


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You trust a guy named Turkeyfeathers for such a venture?!? I bet you listen to growalot for gardening advice too?!? And the Jerkman for ...well....THAT advice!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You trust a guy named Turkeyfeathers for such a venture?!? I bet you listen to growalot for gardening advice too?!? And the Jerkman for ...well....THAT advice!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can't beat my meat!

Call Me The Teflon Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good luck today everyone on their youth hunts.

everyone is stirring around here at camp and gavin and I are getting ready to head out as we have a hike ahead of us..

guns are patterned, birds have been scouted, kids are excited,  clear and chilly out.

hoping for a good gobbling morning and hoping to bring the Pa youth season in with a bang.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reeltime said:

good luck today everyone on their youth hunts.

everyone is stirring around here at camp and gavin and I are getting ready to head out as we have a hike ahead of us..

guns are patterned, birds have been scouted, kids are excited,  clear and chilly out.

hoping for a good gobbling morning and hoping to bring the Pa youth season in with a bang.

 

Good luck Lee and Gavin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bird 1 down. Addison scored
Gavin has passed up 7 Jake's so far123d9536e17e9ec32e047b33c0d86044.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

  • Like 35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bird 1 down. Addison scored
Gavin has passed up 7 Jake's so far123d9536e17e9ec32e047b33c0d86044.jpg&key=18ebe9b20e22025ce1072fe74b5c36757ad0afa8d87d2a2290e67bb3829ab87f

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk



Big ole ATTA GIRL!!!!! Sweet!!!
And nice patience young man G


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Bird 1 down. Addison scored
Gavin has passed up 7 Jake's so far123d9536e17e9ec32e047b33c0d86044.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
 

Congrats to you Addison and Reeltime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reeltime said:

Bird 1 down. Addison scored
Gavin has passed up 7 Jake's so far123d9536e17e9ec32e047b33c0d86044.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
 

Congrats Addison.  Way to go.  Your smile is almost as big as the fan.  

Gavin, keep at young man.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well gavin couldn't contain his trigger finger after we moved and I called in jake I 9 and 10. So he just shot his first jake after 4 or 5 long beards. Gotta tag him up and go grab the youngest kid to try for her first.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a gobbler but just had a yahoo turn down the road just past my truck and now he is yapping on a call while the trucks still running. The bird I had fired up is now silent.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...