fasteddie

Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

Recommended Posts

Interesting hunt and I'm happy to finally get some action with gobbles, full struts and an absolute giant tom.

It was definitely a case of should I move or shouldn't I and I chose wrong. The 3 birds at the far side of the field went west and over a knob and out of site. 2 things would happen. They would head north on private land and out of my life forever, or head south to one other 2 fields behind me, or up the hedgerow I was in. Honestly I really thought about and wanted to move to a pinch point that they do travel on quite a bit, but there was also a chance another bird might come out of the pines to my east... but realistically it was me just being comfy and also a little lazy not wanting to move dekes...telling myself i'd get busted.

I had a conference call at 9 and figured I'd just stay put. Well... around 8:45 I look behind me (i'm in a hedgerow between 2 fields) and there's a hen at about 80 yards. I watch for a while and doesn't the same tom end up following close behind. I call a few times. He hears and perks up but has no interest in parting with the real thing.

Had I moved I woulda, coulda, maybe... still good to see a big bad boy displaying and the whole 9. I probably have 2 hunts left, both with kids. But it was a good morning to be in the woods none the less. 

  • Like 7

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Soft stuff. Clucks + Purrs.

yep that was the game plan. It did work in that they came to the fields, but with the real deal hen at their disposal I lost the second round battle haha

  • Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cas said:

Day 8 of total silence, it's bizarre. Not in "all my years" has this happened , nor have I ever spent this many days after spring birds.  

Silent in terms of turkey. All in all it was very load today, I wish it would've be quiet.  I heard a dog bark like mad for a half hour straight.  At a crazy fast rate, especially for how long it was.  Then once he slowed down I could hear another noise. At the distance it was, I wasn't sure at first if it was a hunters bad yelps or what?  Then I realized it was I high pitched raspy bark. Probably a coyote playing with the dog driving it nuts.  They exchanged barks for another half hour. What a racket.  But I can't believe someone would let their dog bark non stop for an hour.  

4 out of 5 of my hunts this year were like that, but today was different. I'm with you though, strange year for me in 8F.


"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my parents are up near inlet in the daks (north of old forge). Over the last 3 or 4 years the turkey population has really grown up there. We never used to see them and now we see them all the time. Anyhow, she ran across a hen with polts already, which kinda shocked me, especially that far north. Might explain a little bit of the low gobbling. 


"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cynthiafu said:

Wood duck love them 

Yes, SO DELICIOUS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Total newb to turkey hunting, having only been a couple/few times on my own.  I have little idea as to what I'm doing, in part because I haven't done much of it.  Hoping to learn more.

Went out yesterday morning, and found a gobbler on the roost.  Lucky strike.  He didn't think much of my calls, or I spooked him walking in.  He flew down, and then gobbled all the way off my neighbor's property...  Barred owls jumped trees and then through the scene around the same time.  After they left, I thought another hunter started incessantly calling with clucks and purrs.  Couldn't see him, and each time I moved to take another look, the call intensity increased.  This went on for 40 mins.  Real good calling from what I've heard.  I got fed up, and thought he was trying to tell me to get out.  So, I stood up to go find him and at least meet him.  Haven't met anyone else on my neighbor's that has rights to hunt.  Right as I took my first step, the hen roosting above me blew out of the tree in a panic.  Ha.  Should have sat still.

This morning, I went back, hoping that the tom would roost there again.  No dice.

Two beautiful dawns in the woods, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK-- THE 9TH INNING IS COMING UP!  I have taken a few Slammer Gobblers on Memorial 3 Day Weekend!       If Ya'All smell any Citronella while you are set up-- that would be me passing by-- LOL!:assassin:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OK-- THE 9TH INNING IS COMING UP!  I have taken a few Slammer Gobblers on Memorial 3 Day Weekend!       If Ya'All smell any Citronella while you are set up-- that would be me passing by-- LOL!:assassin:

Dream Team Double...I’ll be waiting!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rebel Darling said:

Total newb to turkey hunting, having only been a couple/few times on my own.  I have little idea as to what I'm doing, in part because I haven't done much of it.  Hoping to learn more.

Went out yesterday morning, and found a gobbler on the roost.  Lucky strike.  He didn't think much of my calls, or I spooked him walking in.  He flew down, and then gobbled all the way off my neighbor's property...  Barred owls jumped trees and then through the scene around the same time.  After they left, I thought another hunter started incessantly calling with clucks and purrs.  Couldn't see him, and each time I moved to take another look, the call intensity increased.  This went on for 40 mins.  Real good calling from what I've heard.  I got fed up, and thought he was trying to tell me to get out.  So, I stood up to go find him and at least meet him.  Haven't met anyone else on my neighbor's that has rights to hunt.  Right as I took my first step, the hen roosting above me blew out of the tree in a panic.  Ha.  Should have sat still.

This morning, I went back, hoping that the tom would roost there again.  No dice.

Two beautiful dawns in the woods, though.

Arrggghhhh- A Hen ( Roost Pitting) at you. She was letting you know-- " the Predator" that you have been seen. Might as well move on.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Arrggghhhh- A Hen ( Roost Pitting) at you. She was letting you know-- " the Predator" that you have been seen. Might as well move on.

Roost pitting.  Excellent.  Very grateful to know.  Thank you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned, the story.  So yesterday morning I had no gobbles off the roost and started to make a trip around to the south trying to elicit a gobble. I came to one of my trail cams that had a card that hadn't been looked at in a couple months.  I pulled the card and then made a couple yelps, getting a good gobble maybe 150 yards away but across a very steep and deep gully.  I had to at least try and get him to come across as you just never know.........the thing is, if I'd have tried the crow call first like I usually do in a situation where setup could be tough, I'd have got that gobble and went way the heck up and around to get on his side of the gully but no, that didn't happen.

So after about 20-25 minutes I could tell he wasn't coming.  Then I hoofed it up and around to his ridge and all was quiet there!  Hmm, maybe he went up that ridge, crossed a pasture and was headed up to a known strutting area??  OK now I had to head back to the north and sneak up the outside edge of the little pine brush lot and get to the top edge and THEN, find an open area to make a call.  After another 20 minute sneak, I was where I wanted to be and scoped out a likely tree.  I stood there, made my fairly quiet yelps and damn, GOBBLE GOBBLE right to the south of me, CLOSE.  I quickly saw the tree I liked sucked and had to find another yesterday. :)

I sat down and within just a few minutes here comes to adult Tom turkey.  They were close, inside 40 yards.  As they came closer I tried to look for my opportunity to raise the gun and suddenly the 2nd bird putts twice.  The first one is closer now, like 30 yards close.  He turns to retreat with his buddy and has to go behind a good sized white pine; now or never!  I pull up and the second bird putts some more, the first one steps out from behind the pine and............

jbpcWKM.jpg

He was a good bird; 19lbs, 9.5" beard and 1" and 7/8" spurs (measured at home)  The picture above I took when I got back to my truck with my camera, not phone.  Nicer color with that camera....

I mentioned in another thread here that I saw a bear track in the mud yesterday, the first I've ever seen. 

 

D41238F5-219B-409C-8D9E-D44B6A7FD3F1.jpeg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 22

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

Roost pitting.  Excellent.  Very grateful to know.  Thank you...

It is a Weird experience during Fall Turkey Hunting when you somehow end up under a Flock of Turkeys and they all " Roost Pitt" Try as you might- it is very difficult to Locate a Single Bird in the Trees when they do this. You hear a Roost Pitt there. Another over there. On on in all directions. Designed to confuse the Predator . 2 Falls ago, I was close to a known Fall Turkey Roosting area and just waited. WTH-- a pack of Coyotes must have been bedded down " underneath" the Flock!  My Scent had them howling + Yipping. Put a Flashlight on . They sprinted out of there. Maybe, I smell like Bigfoot- lol!  I had no idea up to that point that Coyotes would sneak under a Roosting Flock of Turkeys and bed down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

As I mentioned, the story.  So yesterday morning I had no gobbles off the roost and started to make a trip around to the south trying to elicit a gobble. I came to one of my trail cams that had a card that hadn't been looked at in a couple months.  I pulled the card and then made a couple yelps, getting a good gobble maybe 150 yards away but across a very steep and deep gully.  I had to at least try and get him to come across as you just never know.........the thing is, if I'd have tried the crow call first like I usually do in a situation where setup could be tough, I'd have got that gobble and went way the heck up and around to get on his side of the gully but no, that didn't happen.

So after about 20-25 minutes I could tell he wasn't coming.  Then I hoofed it up and around to his ridge and all was quiet there!  Hmm, maybe he went up that ridge, crossed a pasture and was headed up to a known strutting area??  OK now I had to head back to the north and sneak up the outside edge of the little pine brush lot and get to the top edge and THEN, find an open area to make a call.  After another 20 minute sneak, I was where I wanted to be and scoped out a likely tree.  I stood there, made my fairly quiet yelps and damn, GOBBLE GOBBLE right to the south of me, CLOSE.  I quickly saw the tree I liked sucked and had to find another yesterday. :)

I sat down and within just a few minutes here comes to adult Tom turkey.  They were close, inside 40 yards.  As they came closer I tried to look for my opportunity to raise the gun and suddenly the 2nd bird putts twice.  The first one is closer now, like 30 yards close.  He turns to retreat with his buddy and has to go behind a good sized white pine; now or never!  I pull up and the second bird putts some more, the first one steps out from behind the pine and............

jbpcWKM.jpg

He was a good bird; 19lbs, 9.5" beard and 1" and 7/8" spurs (measured at home)  The picture above I took when I got back to my truck with my camera, not phone.  Nicer color with that camera....

I mentioned in another thread here that I saw a bear track in the mud yesterday, the first I've ever seen. 

 

D41238F5-219B-409C-8D9E-D44B6A7FD3F1.jpeg

Great Story and a well deserved Gobbler!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up an at um.....raining like a bitachhh here. At a a buddies place and I am holed up in a blind where a few trials converge.....hopefully they hit a trial headed to the lower field to dry off after s long night of rain.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

Oh man guess what

Looks like you tagged out just now. Congrats to you and bill.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...