Dry or Wet flies

rachunter

Switching to fly casting can be a daunting task and one needs to remember that you are casting the line and not the fly. This is contrary to casting bait or spin rod/reel setups.

Practice makes great sense and keep the pace of your casts slow and deliberate until you get the feel of a fly rod "loading" and then it come along quickly on the learning scale.

I never instruct a beginner with any weight other than a fly to start. Its about technique and not power for distance...and never start on a windy day....:stop:

Hope it helps

• Like 1

Good advice. I’ve taken a few in the head and face. More recently than I’d like to admit. 

I learned how to “skate” dries in pocket water on the ausable where most drifts were only a second or two before the fly line was swallowed up by the next current by the next boulder. Remarkable strikes of hard charging rainbows. Exhausting fishing though - holding the rod high, constant mending, fast water an slippery rocks...fun as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

I believe for a beginner a good 5wt. with weighted forward line and beaded wolly buggers in brown, green and black will get one started...

Keep it very simple and build confidence and then get into dry flies. Most dries are very time frame specific and flies like wolly buggers imitate multiple food sources and are used all season long..

Good luck... 

This is the set-up I have it's a cabela's wind river 8'6" 5wt. the guy at cabela's recommended it with the line and a few wooly buggers.I also have a llbean 9" 9wt. I bought years ago for saltwater bass fishing but never got into it.

6 hours ago, virgil said:

Great advice on this thread.  The only fly shop here on the Island that I remember, was in Oakdale and closed a few years ago.  If you ever do get into the city (post-apocalypse), there's an Orvis shop in mid-town.

When in doubt, I always go with a #12 bead-head hare's ear nymph.

I actually took casting lessons from a guy in that shop.Believe it or not I've casted my rods more then fished with them.lol

Unfortunately the fly shack is closed to the public,but still taking online orders.I'm going to place an order hopefully it gets here before I head up,if not i'll have them for the next trip. Flies are cheap i'm get two of each mentioned here.

Thanks for the tips and info.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Where abouts will you be fishing rachunter?

Up in the ADK i'm not sure of the names of the creeks,but there in the west Canada lakes area.I stumbled on them turkey hunting a few years ago.One place i'd like to try is in a town called ohio off of rt.8 I stopped there to look around it was beautiful.

• Like 1

Just now, rachunter said:

Up in the ADK i'm not sure of the names of the creeks,but there in the west Canada lakes area.I stumbled on them turkey hunting a few years ago.One place i'd like to try is in a town called ohio off of rt.8 I stopped there to look around it was beautiful.

Nice! I hear west canada creek can be pretty good 

• Like 1

I love the Ausable in fall, the trout are active, scenery is beautiful and the big fish love to eat what appears to them as meat floating by...

I'm excited to get out there now after all this, next you'll be hooked by the fly tying bug and that becomes a new adventure. 

I'd get a dozen of each to start in maybe 2-3 sizes, cold water in early season trout like smaller presentations and move to bigger flies in later season and bigger bodies of water.

A 9 wt would be perfect for salmon in the fall !!!!

• Like 2

I'm up in the Town of Morehouse and the West Canada is a great fishery with public access, I also love to grab a pack, head off trail to several small streams loaded with native brook trout. A 6-8" fish on a 2wt rod is a trophy....

Goodness, I have spring fever right now.... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Salmon_Run said:

Switching to fly casting can be a daunting task and one needs to remember that you are casting the line and not the fly. This is contrary to casting bait or spin rod/reel setups.

Practice makes great sense and keep the pace of your casts slow and deliberate until you get the feel of a fly rod "loading" and then it come along quickly on the learning scale.

I never instruct a beginner with any weight other than a fly to start. Its about technique and not power for distance...and never start on a windy day....:stop:

Hope it helps

There are two things that I ask my fishing partners not to laugh ( too hard) at....

Backing a boat in at the launch, and fly casting....

Still, I seem to always be able to get the boat into the water  AND catch some fish on flies...I guess a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I learned how to “skate” dries in pocket water on the ausable where most drifts were only a second or two before the fly line was swallowed up by the next current by the next boulder. Remarkable strikes of hard charging rainbows. Exhausting fishing though - holding the rod high, constant mending, fast water an slippery rocks...fun as hell.

I hate the Ausable lol, never do any good but Ive only ever gone in August when its super hot. The St Regis has similar big fast pocket water and its a blast to fish

Just placed a order got almost everything listed above and strayed on two bh birds nest black and bh green bean couldn't help it they looked to cool to pass up.Mostly in 8-10-12 sizes. Even got a fly box to put them in fancy. should be here by mid-week fingers crossed.

Thanks a bunch guys much appreciated.

Edited by rachunter
spelling

Just placed a order got almost everything listed above and strayed on two bh birds nest black and bh green bean couldn't help it they looked to cool to pass up.Mostly in 8-10-12 sizes. Even got a fly box to put them in fancy. should be here by mid-week fingers crossed.
Thanks a bunch guys much appreciated.

That’s awesome...now the first lesson really is “when you finally figure out exactly what they are eating that trip, you don’t have it!!! So frustratingly addictive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

I'm up in the Town of Morehouse and the West Canada is a great fishery with public access, I also love to grab a pack, head off trail to several small streams loaded with native brook trout. A 6-8" fish on a 2wt rod is a trophy....

Goodness, I have spring fever right now.... 

I have fished that area a bit. Used to live in Holland patent. Caught some beauties out of West Canada. And had some days where they would lay right there and not even look at my lure.   Also fished a couple of little brooks up there for native brookies a long time ago.  Nice area.  I'm not much of a fly guy, I always spinfished.  Just once in a while I would flyfish. West Canada is a good one for fly fishing as it's pretty open for casting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Don’t sleep on euronymphing fellas, it’s my new jam. Caught ten browns tonight and only lost one fly and the East Koy is a logjam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats what I think im going to do. I like the system more than regular nymphing with a float. Basically exactly like the video I posted

• Like 1