Dry or Wet flies

rachunter

11 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Buy yourself a cheap 9 foot tapered leader  and cut  2 or three feet off the tapered end...That should be stiff and heavy enough to turn over heavy streamers and bass bugs....If not, shorten it up a little more..

Time for a true Pygmy story...I was up in NWT, Canada on a caribou hunt...There was a channel about 100 yards long of fast water between two lakes..It was full of arctic grayling, and it was hard to make a drift with a dry fly WITHOUT getting a rise....Lots of fish in the 16" to 18" range and a few bigger.. However,  several times I was playing a grayling and a lake trout would come up off the bottom( the water was only 3 or 4 feet deep ) and CRUSH the grayling, breaking my leader....After this happened 3 or 4 times, I cut my leader back to about 4 feet ( probably about 20 lb. test)  and put on a big pink tandem streamer that I had brought to try to catch pike on my fly rod...About my second cast,,a huge laker took the streamer..I estimated him at about 15 pounds and released him...I proceed to work the rest of the 100 yards of fast water between  the lakes and caught a total of 18 lake trout in  less than 2 hours... Lots of boulders and pocket water...It was like fishing an Adirondack stream except I was catching   5-10 pound lake trout rather than 10 inch brookies...True story....Little Marten Lake, NWT  Sept 1994...BTW..It was also the most awesome caribou hunting I ever experienced.....

thats a dream trip for me.  Amazing

6 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Didn't know a Doug .. but  I do know a Chris . He showed me the woodchuck  they use to troll for smallies on planer boards.  Big old fly . I whipped up some of them for muskie.  Smoked some big ones in the Chemung on them .

Yes, Chris is Doug's son..He does taxidermy also....Doug is gone now..He was a tin knocker for Corning...A great guy, but what a character  !!

12 hours ago, rachunter said:

Question about leaders: I have a 5wt. rod and line i've been using 5x leader and 5x tippets can i switch the leader to match the fly? I was practicing casting and the streamers kept piling up. I'd also like to use the set up for bass next month from what i read and watched i'd need a #13 leader to cast popperes and bigger streamers.

I assume you’re doing a loop-to-loop connection between the line and leader. If so, pick up a 7’ 3x  leader. Leave it or cut about 12” of the tippet off and tie a perfection loop. Use that as your streamer base leader and add extra tippet via another perfection loop for the fly. You don’t need a long leader for streamers. I will sometimes go down to 5’.

Or pick up a sinking leader and tie the same loop at the tippet end. This leader should last a few seasons. 

image.jpeg.e82d136db58bde5fde018c520e143001.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

thats a dream trip for me.  Amazing

Yeah...25 years ago there was a thriving hunting industry on the barren tundra of NWT for Central Canada barren ground caribou.. Sadly,  within a few years the population dwindled, and non resident hunters can no longer get a tag there , like Quebec...

On 4/22/2020 at 7:40 AM, rachunter said:

Your right about the hoppers I bought them because I thought they looked cool,same thing with the muddler minnow I just liked the name.Unfortunately there's no fly shops here on long island and the way the mails been lately I won't get them in time.I'm going to call the shop up by me and see if they"ll hook me up with those flies you mentioned.Thanks again for the help.

You can try Orvis when it opens back up. With all this extra time I was going to give it a shot as well. Something I always wanted to learn and heard there are some decent spots on the island to fish.

9 hours ago, BKhunter said:

You can try Orvis when it opens back up. With all this extra time I was going to give it a shot as well. Something I always wanted to learn and heard there are some decent spots on the island to fish.

I went out sunday,but it was a little to crowed for me.

I'm trying to learn how to double haul lefty kreh makes it look easy.

Euronymphing conditions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well actually we crushed it today..my buddy and I each got two nice browns, 2 12”” and a bunch of little ones,

GREEN DRAKES arrived around 1:00, caddis all day, grey fox, blue wing olive and rusty spinner.

Great but bizarre day. Not any real consistent hatch or rises but we were into fish all day...not ONE sub surface even though I was fishing a dropper all morning under a green apple caddis.

Drakes should be steady by mid to late week

b87fc64fc19d0351441d295e61540441.jpg

91687b44cedac007a5f0b7be8534ef3b.jpg

Missing a tail section?!?dfab81fcfb25858f8cbc20a01331d86c.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, crappyice said:

Well actually we crushed it today..my buddy and I each got two nice browns, 2 12”” and a bunch of little ones,

GREEN DRAKES arrived around 1:00, caddis all day, grey fox, blue wing olive and rusty spinner.

Great but bizarre day. Not any real consistent hatch or rises but we were into fish all day...not ONE sub surface even though I was fishing a dropper all morning under a green apple caddis.

Drakes should be steady by mid to late week

b87fc64fc19d0351441d295e61540441.jpg

91687b44cedac007a5f0b7be8534ef3b.jpg

Missing a tail section?!?dfab81fcfb25858f8cbc20a01331d86c.jpg

Nice fish!!!

Does trout fishing stay steady though the summer? 

Nice fish!!!
Does trout fishing stay steady though the summer? 

Depends on the water temps. You don’t really want to fish once the water is over 68 degrees as you will kill the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Depends on the water temps. You don’t really want to fish once the water is over 68 degrees as you will kill the fish

Water flow reminded me of July levels yesterday although it was still icy cold. Best of both worlds for the fish and angler. With the limited winter run off I imagine the “end of season” on some systems will be quick this summer unfortunately

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rachunter said:

I went out sunday,but it was a little to crowed for me.

Which Orvis did you go out to. I thought they were all still closed. I've been wanting to get started but wanted to speak with someone in person to learn what I need and what is luxury items.

Which Orvis did you go out to. I thought they were all still closed. I've been wanting to get started but wanted to speak with someone in person to learn what I need and what is luxury items.

Sorry I meant I went out fishing.

The shops in Roscoe are “open” - curbside service. They will bring you some flies to pick through from their collection. They have been helpful and it’s nice to get some live feedback

14 hours ago, rachunter said:

Honestly, you don't need the DH in trout fishing. But ...

Find a pond with a wide straight bank and stand perpendicular to it. Feed some line out and lay it out to the right. Now using the water as drag, cast to the left mimicking a forward cast. In other words, you're taking the overhead cast and laying it flat on the water in front of you. This way you can see and feel the DH action. As you get better, raise the line higher and higher.

You can see Joan Wulff do it here:

https://vimeo.com/70578415

Another approach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I've been fishing a few ponds and it always seems the fish are just out of reach.

2 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I've been fishing a few ponds and it always seems the fish are just out of reach.

I've fished a lot of ponds over the last 65 years, and most of the time you will catch more fish fishing PARALLEL to the shore rather than fishing perpendicular to the shore....Just my casual observance...

4 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I've fished a lot of ponds over the last 65 years, and most of the time you will catch more fish fishing PARALLEL to the shore rather than fishing perpendicular to the shore....Just my casual observance...

If i don't see anything going on i fan cast,But these two ponds i can see the trout swirling out in front of me.