First bird dog

ATbuckhunter

I have the Garmin GPS collar, maybe the second version that they came out with.  It worked well for me, my dog had “long legs” and liked to range out a bit sometimes.   Solid brand and I am sure the combo unit would be a good choice. 

I had a Tri Tronics e-collar and had some issues with it, so I sold that and got a Dogtra, which has been rock solid for 10+ years.  It just quit working a couple of months ago, but I’ll bet I could get it going again if I went through the reboot, etc.  But at 13+ years old, my dog is now retired, so I really don’t need it.  

24 minutes ago, Otto said:

I have the Garmin GPS collar, maybe the second version that they came out with.  It worked well for me, my dog had “long legs” and liked to range out a bit sometimes.   Solid brand and I am sure the combo unit would be a good choice. 

I had a Tri Tronics e-collar and had some issues with it, so I sold that and got a Dogtra, which has been rock solid for 10+ years.  It just quit working a couple of months ago, but I’ll bet I could get it going again if I went through the reboot, etc.  But at 13+ years old, my dog is now retired, so I really don’t need it.  

I also looked at that. Hows the service on it? Some of the places I plan to grouse hunt with it have zero cell service (my experience while deer hunting those same areas).

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Perfect! Thank you. I was thinking of the neoprene vest for duck hunting in december and january. 

Typically dogs with good coats don’t need a vest but it’s really just a choice. I have a couple Griffs so I have no need for them as seen below. Yes that’s ice on the pond. 

C9EAB69E-7EF1-474E-9AAB-AEB1366E0D67.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Saw a video with a guy waoh training on  table like that. How would you use it? 

I’d consider it a must have. 

During a large amount of the training process it saves your back from having to get down to the dogs level. First the dog has to get used to going up on it then once that’s done, by getting the dog up off the ground you take it out of its element so to speak. It will be more willing to listen and learn because you are in complete control of it. 

It’s used in whoa training, obedience, sit/stay, and the most important phases of force fetch braking. Eventually dogs love the table and get excited to use it. 

9 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I’d consider it a must have. 

During a large amount of the training process it saves your back from having to get down to the dogs level. First the dog has to get used to going up on it then once that’s done, by getting the dog up off the ground you take it out of its element so to speak. It will be more willing to listen and learn because you are in complete control of it. 

It’s used in whoa training, obedience, sit/stay, and the most important phases of force fetch braking. Eventually dogs love the table and get excited to use it. 

Got it, thanks for letting me know. Looks like Ill be building one of these this summer. 

2 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I also looked at that. Hows the service on it? Some of the places I plan to grouse hunt with it have zero cell service (my experience while deer hunting those same areas).

Mine is not based on cell service.  It just connects between the handheld unit and the collar.  I think the range is up to a mile.  Probably on the plains of South Dakota!  But my dog has only been off the grid a couple of times.  Otherwise it works really well. 

Re the “table” for whoa training.  I have seen a 50 gallon oil barrel with a piece of carpet glued to the top of the barrel laying on its side.  You put the dog up there and he has to balance himself to stay in one spot, all while you are laying hands on him and calling whoa.  Another version of the whoa training, I think I read about it in Ben Williams book Gun Dog.  

2 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I was looking at the Garmin ecollar and gps combined collar's last night. A bit pricey, but worth it if its good. Does anyone have any expereince with it?

I had the garmin alpha but sold it almost immediately. I didn’t like all the screen menus you can scroll through and couldn’t use the touchscreen with gloves. I wound up getting a Garmin 550 and love it

Lol the only thing that stopped me was the short hair. Cant use it for duck hunting the late season

Believe it or not there are two types of GSP hair a single and double coat. I have one of each and the double coat would be enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

Believe it or not there are two types of GSP hair a single and double coat. I have one of each and the double coat would be enough

It’s called a under coat on a dog. Some GSP have them some don’t , some from the breeder trying for it with different lines. Definitely not enough for long cold hours in the field but way better for long hot days in the field. 

My female has a better coat then my male but he’s a better dog overall when it comes all things hunting. She ain’t bad, he’s just better. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Bird launchers a a great tool, you’d need it more in the second year when working on completing the steadiness sequence. I’d say most guys don’t 100% finish their dogs but this helps a lot for control and replicating a a wild flush. 

https://www.gundogsupply.com/doqulaq.html

I forgot how expensive those are lol 

It’s called a under coat on a dog. Some GSP have them some don’t , some from the breeder trying for it with different lines. Definitely not enough for long cold hours in the field but way better for long hot days in the field. 

My female has a better coat then my male but he’s a better dog overall when it comes all things hunting. She ain’t bad, he’s just better. 

1904e494770ebf32c4e127dd102c2b34.jpg
The white one has the under coat and is also so much softer.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I forgot how expensive those are lol 

Me too and I own one lol

I must have thousands wrapped up in this hobby and it’s better I don’t know the exact amount. Hell when I was learning from a trainer friend I drove 3 hrs to Canada about every week for a half a summer I can’t imagine the gas cost alone. Then it leads to hunts and more guns, dogs and gear than a sporting goods store haha. 

4 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Me too and I own one lol

I must have thousands wrapped up in this hobby and it’s better I don’t know the exact amount. Hell when I was learning from a trainer friend I drove 3 hrs to Canada about every week for a half a summer I can’t imagine the gas cost alone. Then it leads to hunts and more guns, dogs and gear than a sporting goods store haha. 

Im glad that my friend thats a trainer is only a 20-30 min drive from my house. I dont mind it leading to more hunts and more guns to be honest lol

Im glad that my friend thats a trainer is only a 20-30 min drive from my house. I dont mind it leading to more hunts and more guns to be honest lol

You are killing me with this post...I started looking for some pictures I know I have of my Britt on the training table and stumbled across these instead:

9d5f7d5a1c2dea57450213852a42b91d.jpg
I guess I’ll keep looking and reliving my process with Trico

• Like 1