Blast From The Past

airedale

Doing some spring cleaning and found some new old stock, actually still teams up well with my Bows and Arrows all of which are pretty much vintage. My first hunting arrows were Port Orford cedar with these same Bear Razorheads but they were the epoxied on type.

Al

2020-04-23_054939.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

I used those too. As well as the original razorheads.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first bear razorheads didn't have a slot for the bleeders, those were added later????????

Yes and they were glue on .. much like wensel woodsman heads 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Yes and they were glue on .. much like wensel woodsman heads 

I thought so. I used the originals my dad gave me when I first started in archery.  Didn't think they had the slot, but wasn't sure.  Graduated to the ones with the bleeders and threads, aluminum shafts. Then the ones pictured above.  Mom used to make me go into my room to sharpen them. Said the sound distracted her while watching TV, lol. 

15 minutes ago, mowin said:

I thought so. I used the originals my dad gave me when I first started in archery.  Didn't think they had the slot, but wasn't sure.  Graduated to the ones with the bleeders and threads, aluminum shafts. Then the ones pictured above.  Mom used to make me go into my room to sharpen them. Said the sound distracted her while watching TV, lol. 

I killed my 1st few deer with them, I'd still use if they were carried locally I liked being able to sharpen them, had a whole file set to resharpen them from practice shooting.  Than would finish up with stones.

Edited by G-Man

10 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I killed my 1st few deer with them, I'd still use if they were carried locally I liked being able to sharpen them, had a whole file set to resharpen them from practice shooting.  Than would finish up with stones.

I only killed one deer with them.  I went with the super razorheads after hitting a deer in the shoulder with an original and the head bent over 90° .  Went to a compound shortly after and switched to razorback 5's.  

I'm sure the reason that head bent was most likely it was stressed from missing or passing through the target.  Neighbor who I was hunting with couldn't believe it.  I got a education on tracking deer that's for sure.  Obviously we never found her, and we were confident she survived. 

Edited by mowin

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I used those too. As well as the original razorheads.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first bear razorheads didn't have a slot for the bleeders, those were added later????????

Actually, those are the "original" (mass produced) Razorheads. The screw in inserts are removable and they can then be used as a direct gue on.

IMO they are the best cut on contact head ever devised.

This is my personal stash.

veSZjUp.jpg

I refurbish the ones that are discolored from heat by bead blasting them and using VHT "cast iron" engine paint.

iAk7wu9.jpg

HAXBh05.jpg

As far as the bleeder blades?

Yes Fred made a broadhead W/O the insert and later developed one that use Schick razor blades It was the addition of the insert blade that brought the trademark name "Razorhead".

The 1st" Bear Razorheads were known as "bubble head" as the ferrule was turned. It was found that this impeded penetration so the flattened ferrule was introduced.

ZeD6JEy.jpg

uY4GjbE.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A small sporting goods store going out of buisness. I bought up there entire stock of Bear Archery stuff including those Bear broadheads (like 5 blister packs). I was using Razorback 5's  at the time, but it was just too good a deal. Sold it all several years later to a ECO who was into self bows, making his own arrows etc. Did not make much or anything on it, but ir sure made that guys day.

• Like 2

Remarkable 

^ A which Google search will reveal some pretty amazing, yet horrible live deer with arrows in the photos. I made that mistake one day while looking for one photo in particular. :(