Field dressing a turkey?

cynthiafu

Ok  bill has me set up for my first turkey . I know how to clean it. I was just wondering  can you do it like I do my pheasants  ? I clean them by standing on the wings and pulling up  everything comes out and  I have a nice clean bird . Can I do that with a turkey ?

• Like 2

I make a small cut near the breast bone, and peal the skin and feathers down the sides of the breast and past where I can see the thigh joint. I remove the legs, and peal the remaining skin off the legs. I then remove the breast meat.  I usually don't mess with the wings. 

Do it right, and you don't get into the guts at all.  But NyTracker is correct, they stink.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Ok  bill has me set up for my first turkey . I know how to clean it. I was just wondering  can you do it like I do my pheasants  ? I clean them by standing on the wings and pulling up  everything comes out and  I have a nice clean bird . Can I do that with a turkey ?

Also this is the way to clean partridge/grouse.   Done in seconds. 

Turkey is pretty easy though too. One cut down the middle of breast.  Cut out breasts and then peel skin down around thighs and legs and I cut that out too. I don't mess with the wings.  Dark meat goes to make pulled turkey BBQ. 

• Like 2