What to plant in a dry'ish area for a new plot

After much farting around, got new hydraulic lines and ram in on the tractor and a new 2 way ram in on the disc yesterday.  After bogging down a bit in one plot, we decided to do about an acre in one of our dryer hay fields.  So that's disced up and fertilized ahead of this rain.  I've got 4 bags of WI Imperial Clover, but I was going to out that in the plot by the raised blind.  

Any thoughts?  I really just want this new plant to feed the wildlife, it's not for hunting over.  Something nutritional but could still do allright in a bit of dryer, well drained area?

IMG_20200425_184830.jpg

IMG_20200425_155624.jpg

The only thing that I plant in the spring for deer is corn (usually between May 15 and June 1).  An acre is a bit on the small side.  If you trap some coons through the summer, there might still be a little left in the late fall for the deer and turkeys.    Any other food plot (brassicas, soybeans, wheat, white clover) I don't bother planting until late summer / early fall.   

Corn is especially effective on old hay fields and it is the only plot that I know to be effective at holding deer on such ground during the daylight hours of gun season.   That is because it provides exactly the two things that the deer seek out at that time of year  - cover and carbs.   Other plots might keep some deer around at night after the shooting starts, but without the cover, they will be someplace else by day.      

I would especially caution against planting soybeans in the spiring for deer.   I only did that once, with horrible results.  They are most attractive to the deer in the green, early growth stage (long before pods form).   Do you really want lots of deer on your ground during fawning season ?   The problem there is that fawns are probably the coyotes favorite food source, and spring-planted soybean fields provide those yotes with some real "happy hunting" grounds.  

I am fairly certain that the coyotes are not just attracted to those soybean fields for the fawns, but they also eat the soybeans themselves, since they are so high in protein, sort of like a meat-substitute.   The year I planted soybeans in the spring, there were few times that I observed those fields thru the summer when there were no coyotes on them.  I would consider planting soybeans in the spring again, only if NY state were to open a year-round coyote season.  Odds are, we will not see that until one eats a toddler.

The best use for soybeans for deer is as an added early attractor, to a late summer / early fall planted mix of wheat or rye and white clover.   That way - that most attractive early growth stage corresponds to early archery season, a time when you can harvest adult deer.   You can also easily score "free" leftover seed from folks if you wait until after the spring planting season.        

Edited by wolc123
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The only thing that I plant in the spring for deer is corn (usually between May 15 and June 1).  An acre is a bit on the small side.  If you trap some coons through the summer, there might still be a little left in the late fall for the deer and turkeys.    Any other food plot (brassicas, soybeans, wheat, white clover) I don't bother planting until late summer / early fall.   

Corn is especially effective on old hay fields and it is the only plot that I know to be effective at holding deer on such ground during the daylight hours of gun season.   That is because it provides exactly the two things that the deer seek out at that time of year  - cover and carbs.   Other plots might keep some deer around at night after the shooting starts, but without the cover, they will be someplace else by day.      

I would especially caution against planting soybeans in the spiring for deer.   I only did that once, with horrible results.  They are most attractive to the deer in the green, early growth stage (long before pods form).   Do you really want lots of deer on your ground during fawning season ?   The problem there is that fawns are probably the coyotes favorite food source, and spring-planted soybean fields provide those yotes with some real "happy hunting" grounds.  

I am fairly certain that the coyotes are not just attracted to those soybean fields for the fawns, but they also eat the soybeans themselves, since they are so high in protein, sort of like a meat-substitute.   The year I planted soybeans in the spring, there were few times that I observed those fields thru the summer when there were no coyotes on them.  I would consider planting soybeans in the spring again, only if NY state were to open a year-round coyote season.  Odds are, we will not see that until one eats a toddler.

The best use for soybeans for deer is as an added early attractor, to a late summer / early fall planted mix of wheat or rye and white clover.   That way - that most attractive early growth stage corresponds to early archery season, a time when you can harvest adult deer.   You can also easily score "free" leftover seed from folks if you wait until after the spring planting season.        

Soybeans and coyotes are also suspected of being liberal, voting for Democrats, poisoning groundwater and spawning Corona virus!

• Like 1

I think I'm going to hand spread imperial whitetail clover, and seed spread oats on this plot.  Got 90lbs of oats arriving Thursday, going to up there spread it and try and tree call some birds if it isn't too damn rainy.  Need to get this vinyl flooring down in the kids bathroom today, reinstall the toilet, then I should be clear on the wife front!  

Edited by UpStateRedNeck