Lucked out

Swamp_bucks

I know it's a ways out until deer season but me and my brother scored 4 hangons with 4 sets of climbing sticks for 170.  Finally have enough I can put them on a couple pieces of stateland.  We will be  painting the sticks camo to hide them better.  I know where 2 are going already and if they find them they have to be looking.  Also will be replacing ratchet straps and buying locks. Stands are a little older so 3 have chains instead of straps.  So my plan is to paint some locks and lock the stands up in the tree.  Can't wait to scout now to place the other ones.

• Like 8

I know it's a ways out until deer season but me and my brother scored 4 hangons with 4 sets of climbing sticks for 170.  Finally have enough I can put them on a couple pieces of stateland.  We will be  painting the sticks camo to hide them better.  I know where 2 are going already and if they find them they have to be looking.  Also will be replacing ratchet straps and buying locks. Stands are a little older so 3 have chains instead of straps.  So my plan is to paint some locks and lock the stands up in the tree.  Can't wait to scout now to place the other ones.

If leaving them in state land, they will be found and tampered with IMHO. You may want to consider going the bottom stick with you if possible(not really sure how sticks work as I use a climber most times. Maybe use screw in steps for the first section so you don’t have to carry bottom section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, crappyice said:

If leaving them in state land, they will be found and tampered with IMHO. You may want to consider going the bottom stick with you if possible(not really sure how sticks work as I use a climber most times. Maybe use screw in steps for the first section so you don’t have to carry bottom section

I'm not to worried about them being found.  Alot of the sections I hunt don't get much pressure. We may take just the bottom section on 1 or 2 setups. But I've had 1 stand in 18 yrs stolen and that was because I was dumb and left it in the wide open(cameras are a different story) However saying that I don't leave stands up usually during gun season.   There's just not alot of bow pressure on Stateland around me.  But 2 of them will be about a mile in.  And if someone wants to go back to their car and grab bolt cutters then  walk back and get them.  They can have the damn things.  

Serious question can you put screw in steps in Stateland trees?  I was always told it wasn't allowed.

I'm not to worried about them being found.  Alot of the sections I hunt don't get much pressure. We may take just the bottom section on 1 or 2 setups. But I've had 1 stand in 18 yrs stolen and that was because I was dumb and left it in the wide open(cameras are a different story) However saying that I don't leave stands up usually during gun season.   There's just not alot of bow pressure on Stateland around me.  But 2 of them will be about a mile in.  And if someone wants to go back to their car and grab bolt cutters then  walk back and get them.  They can have the damn things.  
Serious question can you put screw in steps in Stateland trees?  I was always told it wasn't allowed.

I get more worried about the tampering then stealing. There’s a lot of bleeding hearts out there who have no problem loosening sections of ladders/sticks and endangering a hunters life to protect the life of a deer.

I put my sticks together with security head bolts and all metal locking nuts . Sure they can be taken apart but who is gonna have a security bolt allen and wrench on them in the woods ? Also ,who going to carry an 18 foot ladder section out of the woods? Most people are opportunist and would never make a second trip back after acquiring a security head allen wrench just to take a tree stand.

8 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I put my sticks together with security head bolts and all metal locking nuts . Sure they can be taken apart but who is gonna have a security bolt allen and wrench on them in the woods ? Also ,who going to carry an 18 foot ladder section out of the woods? Most people are opportunist and would never make a second trip back after acquiring a security head allen wrench just to take a tree stand.

That's a good idea.  Might be able to even counter sink one side and get a flat allen head screw so it sits flush and use a lock nut on the opposite side.  Either way it would be hard seeing someone  going to get the tools to take it apart regardless.