Maybe a stupid thought but.....

ApexerER

So I purchased a Beretta A300 Turkey Edition. I patterned the gun for turkey and it seems to shoot fine but I really like the idea of a reflex Red Dot so I ordered a mount and a Vortex Venom. Right now the shipping is showing I will receive it Friday so hunting with the reflex Friday morning will be out but I would like to get this mounted and sighted in Friday afternoon to hunt with this weekend. I have never sighted in a shotgun shooting shot before.  I have watched some videos and what I have watched almost seems more like a guestimate than an actual site in. 

So here is my stupid thought, can I site in with slugs? I would think that would give me a much more precise aiming point and then once sited in check with the turkey shells? Or is it better to just get the pattern in what seems like the center and that is good enough?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, the only shotgun I have ever sited in was when I put a scope on my slug gun back before we were aloud to hunt with rifles. 

I would think it would get you in the ballpark, but if I were going to do that I would just use a bore sight. Regardless, I would sight it in with your hunting loads before taking it out. Your turkey choke (if you're using one) and the shot pattern are going to vary some from what you are hitting with a slug or bore sight. I'm not an expert though, just my thoughts. 

Edited by Splitear_Leland
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just mounted a scope on my turkey gun and sighted in with slugs. Then fired a couple turkey loads and everything was spot on

Awesome! That's what I was thinking! Obviously I will shoot with Turkey loads and check the pattern after...Thank you

• Like 2

Ix-nay on the ugs-slay...Especially in a tight choke..Slugs may very well shoot in a different spot than a shot load in a smoothbore and they can damage a very tight choke..

Set the target quite close for the initial shots..No further than 25 yards, perhaps even closer...This way the pattern will be concentrated and it will be easier to see where the center is...I use light loads for this to save expense AND my shoulder..I have never seen any significant difference in point of impact in shot loads from light to heavy, at least not in my guns...When you are satisfied that the pattern is centered at the close range, move the target out to longer range, say 40 yards, and fire a shot with your hunting loads to make sure it is ON...

Of course, do your shooting from a bench or other solid rest to eliminate human error...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

Ix-nay on the ugs-slay...Especially in a tight choke..Slugs may very well shoot in a different spot than a shot load in a smoothbore and they can damage a very tight choke..

Set the target quite close for the initial shots..No further than 25 yards, perhaps even closer...This way the pattern will be concentrated and it will be easier to see where the center is...I use light loads for this to save expense AND my shoulder..I have never seen any significant difference in point of impact in shot loads from light to heavy, at least not in my guns...When you are satisfied that the pattern is centered at the close range, move the target out to longer range, say 40 yards, and fire a shot with your hunting loads to make sure it is ON...

Of course, do your shooting from a bench or other solid rest to eliminate human error...

I was typing at the same time as Pygmy! I had a rifled slug choke in to shoot the slugs and then swapped in the super full choke to shoot the turkey loads

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Of course, do your shooting from a bench or other solid rest to eliminate human error..

I agree with this 100%.

Always gives me a chuckle when Pygmy talks dirty with igpay atinlay.:pleasantry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I say sight in with light, cheap field grade loads but then confirm with a shot or two of your turkey hunting load.  In my 870 Special Purpose I saw a small change in point of impact when I changed from the Winchester Supreme Elite (expensive and hard to find) to Winchester Longbeards.  Then after a miss you'll be confident the cause was Operator Error!  It is so  important to know exactly where to aim, especially on close shots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jperch said:

I say sight in with light, cheap field grade loads but then confirm with a shot or two of your turkey hunting load.  In my 870 Special Purpose I saw a small change in point of impact when I changed from the Winchester Supreme Elite (expensive and hard to find) to Winchester Longbeards.  Then after a miss you'll be confident the cause was Operator Error!  It is so  important to know exactly where to aim, especially on close shots.

That's why I wanted to make sure I was dead center. Seems like that will be harder  trying to center a large circle. Maybe when I do it, it will be easy to tell where center is....

Ok, now you guys (pygmy, grampy) have me thinking I shouldn't try it. Two guys that have probably forgotten more about firearms than I will ever learn..    I wouldn't have shot the slugs through the turkey choke.

If you’re changing chokes you’re changing point of aim “ie wasting time/money.” 

Put your target at 15ft, shoot light game loads. Dial the dot in so it’s 1.5” above the center of pattern. Back your target up to 40yds put in a turkey load and shoot, dial in center of patterns to point of aim. Been using an optic on turkey guns for 15+ years and this is the best method I’ve found.

Don’t over think it, you’re shooting a pattern nothing needs to be or will be exact.

I’ve watched guys shoot 2 boxes of shells trying to dial in on the “hot spots” of the pattern but the next shot will have a different “hot spot.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If you’re changing chokes you’re changing point of aim “ie wasting time/money.” Put your target at 15ft, shoot light game loads. Dial the dot in so it’s 1.5” above the center of pattern. Back your target up to 40yds put in a turkey load and shoot, dial in center of patterns to point of aim. Been using an optic on turkey guns for 15+ years and this is the best method I’ve found.

Don’t over think it, you’re shooting a pattern nothing needs to be or will be exact.

I’ve watched guys shoot 2 boxes of shells trying to dial in on the “hot spots” of the pattern but the next shot will have a different “hot spot.”

Well maybe I got lucky but I sighted in with old slugs and then shot a field load at ten yards and hit dead on. Then I went back to 30 with a turkey load and all was good, let’s hunt. Everyone should shoot a field load at ten yards and see that the pattern is smaller than a racquet ball, AIM SMALL when they’re close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I shot my scope sighted 11-87 this morning to confirm that is was still on...

I set the target at 20 yards...I used  a regular turkey load, since I had no reason to think my POA had changed from last year ( 4 gobblers with 4 shots) and I hoped to shoot only once....I shot only once...

My pattern at 20 yards was perhaps 8-10" in diameter...If I wanted to get REAL anal, the center of the pattern was perhaps 1 1/2" high and maybe 3/4" to the left …  Not worth adjusting the scope for, since the shot charge will be spreading out as the range increases, and will certainly give good coverage out to my max.shooting distance, which is about 45 yards..

We are talking shot patterns here, not benchrest groups...  Good luck My Friend...<<smile>>….

P.S.    The poor paper turkey's head and neck were SHREDDED...…..

• Like 4

10 yards with your Turkey choke shooting 2 3/4  trap loads. Will be size of half dollar. Will get you close and cheaper than slugs and no need to swap chokes.  Dial it in move back and check center of pattern again at 20 and 30. Then put in Turkey load and verify it's still on.

• Like 2

Well maybe I got lucky but I sighted in with old slugs and then shot a field load at ten yards and hit dead on. Then I went back to 30 with a turkey load and all was good, let’s hunt. Everyone should shoot a field load at ten yards and see that the pattern is smaller than a racquet ball, AIM SMALL when they’re close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s not luck when your bullets”s” covers a 20” circle.

22 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I once jarred the reticle loose on a Leupold 1-4 scope shooting slugs through a .665 turkey choke!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You said you must have gotten lucky. You shot slugs then said your turkey loads were dead on at 30. It’s not luck when you’re shooting a 30” pattern. If you’re off by a few inches either way it would be hard to tell and won’t matter.

I sighted in with slugs, switched to a turkey choke and sent a field load at ten yards and it was about half dollar size and hit exactly where the slug hit

• Like 1