Staten Island Deer Sterilization Program Proving To Be An Expensive Failure.

Rattler

One honest and factual statement Governor Andrew Cuomo said during his COVID-19 speeches is that New York State is BROKE.  Useless and wasteful spending like "deer sterilization" programs is the reason why NYS is broke.

Still programs like this are embraced by anti-hunters who vote Democrat so Cuomo and his fellow politicians buy votes with such programs even though it wastes taxpayer money and does not improve the lives of New Yorkers.  These politicians are too incompetent to use the money to prepare for disasters and mass casualties.

With so many hungry people in need of food, why not mass harvest the surplus deer and use the meat to feed the hungry?   Who would oppose that act of kindness to feed people? 

• Like 2

Unfortunately our moron mayor & communist city council, will never allow any hunting in SI! My in-laws live in SI & I’ve seen a few deer while visiting. A shame City won’t allow a hunt. They can generate significant revenue from any tags sold and donate the meat to many in need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should euthanize all the deer and eradicate them from the island. Pay one time and get it over with as its not a feasible place to have a population. No reason to involve hunters because quite frankly its not hunting, nor is a good image or situation to put in hunters. We should known for and see a tool for conservation not eradication.

Hunting would control the population to an acceptable level, provide outdoor recreation, meat and youth hunting opportunities.  Allowing hunting would not be to eradicate the deer.  If limited to archery hunts, there is no danger, and many areas are very conducive to hunting with a bow.  There is no way the public should consider hunting less desirable than a total genocide.

Besides, the deer got there on their own.  Even if all the deer there now were killed, more would show up again soon.

BTW, Staten Island has a large ringneck pheasant population that I would love to be able to hunt too.  Limit that to archery only and you have some real unique hunting opportunity to pursue.  I did it as a kid in NJ and you can bag pheasant with a bow when you know how.

Genocide is almost unilaterally a term that pertains to humans. Using genocide to describe the eradication of a common animal in an minuscule area that not condusive to its shared use with humans is nothing short of hyperbole.

Futhermore, contextual accuracy is import. I said that hunting shouldnt be used for or seen as eradication, it should be used for conservation.

Here is the direct quote

"No reason to involve hunters because quite frankly its not hunting, nor is a good image or situation to put in hunters. We should known for and seen a tool for conservation not eradication."

How one can take the above statement and misconstrue it to say that hunting equals eradication is disingenuous at best.

Your other points are your own opinion and your free to have them. I stand by my thoughts that SI in its current state is a not good place to have deer cohabitating with people nor is it a good location to substain a micro wildlife population though hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Genocide is almost unilaterally a term that pertains to humans. Using genocide to describe the eradication of a common animal in an minuscule area that not condusive to its shared use with humans is nothing short of hyperbole.

Semantics

Futhermore, contextual accuracy is import. I said that hunting shouldnt be used for or seen as eradication, it should be used for conservation.

After you said the deer should all be euthanized.

Here is the direct quote

"No reason to involve hunters because quite frankly its not hunting, nor is a good image or situation to put in hunters. We should known for and seen a tool for conservation not eradication."

This says hunting would be for eradication.

How one can take the above statement and misconstrue it to say that hunting equals eradication is disingenuous at best

Perhaps now you can see how.

Your other points are your own opinion and your free to have them. I stand by my thoughts that SI in its current state is a not good place to have deer cohabitating with people nor is it a good location to substain a micro wildlife population though hunting.

Unfortunately the presence of deer there is inevitable.  I support utilizing the resource for maximum public benefit.  DEC used to consider that to be it's primary objective, prior to allowing politics to override their decisions.

BTW have you ever been there, or do you live there?

Edited by Rattler

Re genocide. Gloss over it all you want it was clearly hyperbolic or your ignorant of proper use of the term.

I said that deer should be euthanized and eradicated from the loaction, and that hunting should not be the tool to accomplish that because of the optics. It should always be used for conservation and never eradiaction.

I will go onto say that I think its important to not relegate hunting to something that can only take place in some idyllic pristine setting, howver its equally important to be pragmatic and recognize that there is locations that it isnt feasible. And infact it may be detrimental to hunting on larger scale. Meaning that the incressed opportunity short term may contribute to decreasing opportunities long term.

How familiar are you with Staten Island and the areas deer inhabit?

I am familiar with the area yes. Regardless i have no interest in arguing with you point for point, which seems to be common place with you on this and many other topics.

11 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

I am familiar with the area yes. Regardless i have no interest in arguing with you point for point, which seems to be common place with you on this and many other topics.

It's called debate.  Just curious why you think hunting with bow wouldn't be feasible on the island.  

11 hours ago, Trial153 said:

They should euthanize all the deer and eradicate them from the island. Pay one time and get it over with as its not a feasible place to have a population. No reason to involve hunters because quite frankly its not hunting, nor is a good image or situation to put in hunters. We should known for and see a tool for conservation not eradication.

Agree 100%.  You are the only one making any sense in this discussion.  Deer don't belong there.  Anyone who thinks that hunting will ever happen within NYC limits is nuts.  Could you just imagine the media circus?  What hunter in their right mind would want to participate in such a charade?   I sure as hell wouldn't.  I'd rather not hunt at all if a place like that was the only place left to hunt.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rattler said:

It's called debate.  Just curious why you think hunting with bow wouldn't be feasible on the island.  

Simple.  Because it's within NYC limits.  Hunting will never be allowed in NYC.  You can take that one to the bank and no need to argue your point of view here because no one with any power in NYC will ever listen to you.  Case closed, you can stop wasting your breathe now.

• Like 1

That doesn't address feasibility.  Deer will always be there.  The problem cannot be bought off with tax dollars.  You are advocating allowing power to corrupt the solution at your expense.  You're also allowing elected hacks to get away with saying there is something wrong with hunting.  Don't worry about me wasting my breath when you can worry about NYC wasting your tax dollars forever.

Edited by Rattler