Striper Season

dbHunterNY

A lot of boat traffic this afternoon being a Saturday. Cant hunt Turkeys so might as well fish. Very slow day. Out with cousin and his 5 yr old.
191cb208d5417a816e86c17614d4a09b.jpg&key=176bd7d41b6c3d522a7d8fc75fb00a8aa6bb19a2f73087b9b805427258b57027

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Where ya at?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Nice. They look like a fun fish to catch. I seen some 30lbs+ already in westchester being caught on instagram.
Yea fishing pretty good down river by you for bigger ones. They run the gauntlet to get up to us way up here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nice. They look like a fun fish to catch. I seen some 30lbs+ already in westchester being caught on instagram.

Was at Croton Point Park on Saturday and watched a guy pull one of those big ones out of the water.

• Like 1

Gotta use live bait up here or you'll hardly ever catch anything. Gotta catch herring before you can catch stripers.

I always hear people say this and have tried it numerous times and have never done well, do way better trolling with spoons and stick baits.

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I always hear people say this and have tried it numerous times and have never done well, do way better trolling with spoons and stick baits.

Down here by me, we net or snag live bunker then liveline them during the day. Live eels at night. 

June is the month for the BIG girls...some 50+ lbs. End of June they get pushed out by the sharks, but they are fun too lol.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mowin said:

Never fished for striper's. And live 30 min from Albany.   Don't know anyone who fishes for them.  

Looks like they would put up one hell of a fight. 

Are they good eating???

They are good eating. I cut the red meat off tho. IMHO, make them much better. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mowin said:

Never fished for striper's. And live 30 min from Albany.   Don't know anyone who fishes for them.  

Looks like they would put up one hell of a fight. 

Are they good eating???

Stripers are good fighters...Not GREAT fighters, like smallmouth bass or bluefish...Tied tail to tail, a 5 pound smallie or blue would drag 10 pound striper around backwards until its scales fell off....Still they are strong fighters and get really big, and a  big one is  a definite workout...

As far as eating goes I would rate them very good....Not WONDERFUL, like bluegills or walleyes or black sea bass, but very good...As opposed to bluefish, which taste like shit unless quite small and iced immediately, in which case they are better than no fish at all, but still not that good..

• Like 3

Down here by me, we net or snag live bunker then liveline them during the day. Live eels at night. 
June is the month for the BIG girls...some 50+ lbs. End of June they get pushed out by the sharks, but they are fun too lol.  

I’ve fished them from the Troy dam down to stattsburg, done very well trolling with the tigers and dipsey’s. To be honest although I’ve done it I get bored easily when fishing with live bait so I’ve probably never given it a fair chance.

• Like 1

Stick baits work well too and if you have enough to rehook blood worms. Vast majority of time my cousin uses live herring though. We caught limit within 10 minutes in the tributary and then off for strippers down stream. Herring soon will be all over to catch though. We even netted some canabalizing the bait and swapped out some of the bigger ones. Gotta keep them lively and cant be huge. Circle hook and trebble hooked.

Stripers are good fighters...Not GREAT fighters, like smallmouth bass or bluefish...Tied tail to tail, a 5 pound smallie or blue would drag 10 pound striper around backwards until its scales fell off....Still they are strong fighters and get really big, and a  big one is  a definite workout...
As far as eating goes I would rate them very good....Not WONDERFUL, like bluegills or walleyes or black sea bass, but very good...As opposed to bluefish, which taste like shit unless quite small and iced immediately, in which case they are better than no fish at all, but still not that good..
We were over geared for one in picture. Wasnt much of a fight but fish in the boat is never a bad thing.

• Like 2

Starting to sound like a GTG.

When are they arriving your way [mention]AThunter [/mention] ... I say we go for a GRAND SLAM GTG... arrow a turkey at first light, catch a striper with AT, pirate [mention]Biz-R-OWorld [/mention] boat for a Lake Trout and then hijack [mention]Chef [/mention] to give up the West Branch trout.

• Like 3