Better lucky than good?

ApexerER

Well 3 days of turkey hunting and I am tagged out. Actually pretty disappointed to be done but I wasn't out there to let one walk. Got set up on the lease this morning on the Oakridge I shot my 8 PT last fall. Heard some gobbling on roost, sat 50 yds from my hunting buddy. Nothing responded once they hit the ground. Decided to try running and gunning but we couldn't buy a gobble. Went too DD for some coffee and a breakfast sandwich and decided we would set up on the big field edge and if nothing else enjoy the beautiful sunshine and maybe catch some zzz. Got set up and put the decoys between us. Heard a gobble and the Tom came right out in the field. It all happened quick. Bang flop at about 30 yds. I'm going to tag along with my one hunting buddy still since there isn't much else to do...

17.5 lbs 12" beard 1 1/4 spurs...

3347.jpeg

• Like 24

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wow. Way to go.   Maybe take out another newbie?  That's a great season for anyone. 

Lol, if I took someone out I wouldn't have the slightest clue what to tell them. 

I would love to get my 15 year old daughter out there but she just has no interest at all.

Holy Crap, Batman !!  Do you know how rare 12 inch beards are in New York ??  I have been hunting them about 50 years and I have never taken an 11"  beard and only a handful over 10"...Super bird, my friend..Congratulations  !!  I don't suppose that you'll be hunting gobblers next year, will you  ??….Hehehehe….

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Holy Crap, Batman !!  Do you know how rare 12 inch beards are in New York ??  I have been hunting them about 50 years and I have never taken an 11"  beard and only a handful over 10"...Super bird, my friend..Congratulations  !!  I don't suppose that you'll be hunting gobblers next year, will you  ??….Hehehehe….

Nope, I had no idea but my buddy sure thought it was a big deal. I was kinda disappointed because the 2nd I picked him up I could tell he was lighter than yesterdays. My buddy thought I was full of bologna but I was right. His feet were quite a bit bigger and his fan wasn't as pretty. Not sure if that means he is an older bird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ApexerER said:

Nope, I had no idea but my buddy sure thought it was a big deal. I was kinda disappointed because the 2nd I picked him up I could tell he was lighter than yesterdays. My buddy thought I was full of bologna but I was right. His feet were quite a bit bigger and his fan wasn't as pretty. Not sure if that means he is an older bird.

The spurs tell the tale...1 1/4 inch spurs usually indicate a 4 year old or perhaps 5...He's an older bird than your first, even though he's lighter... Like people, some turkeys are just bigger than others..I have seen 2 year old gobblers as light as 12 pounds and as heavy as 21 pounds...That's a big difference...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The spurs tell the tale...1 1/4 inch spurs usually indicate a 4 year old or perhaps 5...He's an older bird than your first, even though he's lighter... Like people, some turkeys are just bigger than others..I have seen 2 year old gobblers as light as 12 pounds and as heavy as 21 pounds...That's a big difference...

I was super excited to just get a bird yesterday. I would have been thrilled if it was a jake. Today my buddy said no jakes! I said, Idk if I can tell the difference and he said to make sure it has a long beard. I looked at it and said looks long to me...lol and figured if it wasn't long enough I would ask for forgiveness... I literally know nothing about Turkey hunting other than what I have read the last couple weeks. Maybe I should really appreciate these birds (not that I don't) being a double beard and a 12" beard but neither meant more to me. I was just thrilled to get a turkey. Hopefully I didn't set myself up for disappointment in the future. Like you first deer being a giant buck.

You'll be ok....They are all special, and if you keep turkey hunting you will EARN every bird, believe me...!

Tom Kelly said it best in his book " The Tenth Legion"...

" If you persevere you will kill a few turkeys that you don't deserve, but you will DESERVE a lot more turkeys that you don't kill"...

• Like 6

14 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pretty fn awesome isn’t it ? Way to go.  “ deer hunting fills my freezer but turkey hunting fills my heart “ 

I started bow hunting 6 or 7, maybe it's 8 now, seasons ago. As soon as I was in the woods that first day of my first season I thought, why did I wait so long to do this...

Well thats exactly what I thought at about 5:30am last Friday 5/1 when I heard my first gobble. Why oh why did I wait so long to do this!!

• Like 4