Rut's heating up!

outdoorstom

Last night I was sitting in the woods near Winthrop when I had 3 does and two bucks show up at last light. I wasn't able to get a good a look at the first buck, but could see a white rack moving through heaving brush. The second buck was a nice tall 8 pointer, and he was definitely checking out the does, grunting as he walked. I really thought I was going to fill my tag, but the doe he was following turned and took a different trail when she was about 40 yards away. Of course he took that trail too. I was really tempted to shoot, but couldn't get a clear shot through the brush. I didn't want to take a chance on wounding him, so I had to let him go. I could see the does being harrased out in the field a little while later. Really happy to see the seeking phase kicking in!!

Coming home from letchworth sunday there were like a dozen deer smashed on the side of road on 390 and i saw 3 different live bucks on their feet at 11am. They are chasin down there for sure but it seems like alot of that is going on in the middle of the highway's!!! I should also say i only saw one smashed 3 days earlier on the way down!!!

• Like 1

Yep, thats it. Tons of buck "running" around. No pattern. No rhyme or reason. That "mature" buck you've been watching is 2 miles away "running" a doe. Lots of 1.5-2.5 bucks walking through the woods or pestering does like fools.

How many times have you heard or read about the "giant" buck that was hit by a car at night this time of year.

Yep, thats it. Tons of buck "running" around. No pattern. No rhyme or reason. That "mature" buck you've been watching is 2 miles away "running" a doe. Lots of 1.5-2.5 bucks walking through the woods or pestering does like fools.

How many times have you heard or read about the "giant" buck that was hit by a car at night this time of year.

All very true, but it's also common to start seeing deer you've never seen before. I thought you were kidding about hating the rut, but I guess not.

To each their own. Who said I wasn't pleased bubba? Just like the guys who like hunting during the rut, I prefer hunting before and after the main rut. I didn't say they were wrong. Other people have an opinion, so do I. Isn't that what makes the world go around? Isn't this a FORUM?