Term Limits Petition

Just curious if anyone wanted to sign a Petition to get Term Limits ?  It seems everybody in Congress is way beyond their usefulness ( both parties ) ? Granted there are a few here and there that actually get something accomplished now and again ! But it seems once they get into office it takes forever to get rid of them (both parties)  ! The Petition is out there , just making people aware if they didn't know !

https://www.termlimits.com/  

Edited by GreeneHunter

21 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Hell .... It gave me a good feeling !  LOL

Actually , it does . I look at some of the petitions that get posted , e-mailed , etc like chain letters . But , Term Limits is a great idea !

• Like 1

You know what annoys the crap our of me? Lol. .. That we as "free" people feel the need to request a law to protect us from our stupidity.. I mean, how simple would it be to just not vote them in again..

Sometimes I just lose faith in our capacity for logical thought. Occasionally in discussions with friends I volunteer to be a  "benevolent" dictator..;)

9 hours ago, ncountry said:

I mean, how simple would it be to just not vote them in again..

Not a simple as you might think.  Incumbents have many advantages over challengers.  They have name recognition, the entire political party's machine behind them, more cash to spend, more people they have promised favors to, more people they owe favors to and more people they have shook hands with over the years.

Look at Senator Robert Menendez of NJ.  The man was investigated for pedophilia and frequent trips on Epstein's "Lolita express" and accused by his own Democrat party of being guilty of it.  He wrangled a technicality to his advantage to get off and the people of NJ re-elected him.

Or at least it seems they did if you still trust the integrity of some elections.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 12:26 AM, silentdog said:

Check this out.  It is a movement:  https://conventionofstates.com/

I wouldn't exactly call it a movement. In seven years they haven't been able to meet the requirements needed to  submit the convention application process.  With less than 1% of the total population "signing" up I doubt it is anything we will see in our lifetime. Doesn't seem like they have accomplished much in almost seven years.

"So are you making any progress?

You better believe it! Since the Project launched in 2013, we’ve been spreading like wildfire. With over 3 million supporters nationwide, we have petition signers in every single state house district across America. We’re actively working in all fifty states to pass the Convention of States Application! Check out our latest stats below"

Edited by Steve D

I have to say Rattler is right on this one. You would be asking the very same ASS-HOLES who are f'ing us over to shorten there life long terms in office. Remember these are the same people who think we are to stupid to take care of are selves. :focus:

• 2 months later...

I support any legal means to take our country back.  I do not believe that this petition will go anywhere because it is a competitive petition with the Convention of States, which already has quite a bit of traction..  It is also more restrictive and it will take more than term limits to get our country back.

To get an amendment in this way, you need:

1. 34 state legislatures to pass a resolution for a convention. Once passed, each state sends a single delegate regardless of their population.  States with large populations get the same vote as every other state. 

2. Proposed amendments at a convention must pass with a simple majority (26 votes) to be forwarded to the states for ratification.

3. 38 state legislatures must approve it for the proposed amendment to become law.

What the Convention of States initiative has is:

1. States passing the resolution  in both houses of their legislature:  15

2. States wherein one chamber of the state legislature has passed the resolution (both chambers required):  8

3. States wherein an active lobbying effort is underway in the state legislature:  14

New York (and PA, OH, MI among others) has active lobbying of their state legislatures occurring right now by COS volunteers.. If you are a New York resident, you should be asking your candidates for the legislature (Senate & Assembly) where they stand on this, right now. Ask for a specific commitment to vote for this, ask for sponsorship, etc.  Get your friends and neighbors involved. Start your own online petition to them to encourage them to get onboard with this.  Same for residents of PA, OH, etc.

Do the math... I think that the COS organization is much closer to getting this done than anyone else.  If I am wrong, please correct me. We should support whatever will get us there as quickly as possible.

1724668902_ConventonofStatesmap.thumb.jpg.0857c151eafefe9b5b34256b58278b0f.jpg

12 minutes ago, silentdog said:

I support any legal means to take our country back.  I do not believe that this petition will go anywhere because it is a competitive petition with the Convention of States, which already has quite a bit of traction..  It is also more restrictive and it will take more than term limits to get our country back.

To get an amendment in this way, you need:

1. 34 state legislatures to pass a resolution for a convention. Once passed, each state sends a single delegate regardless of their population.  States with large populations get the same vote as every other state. 

2. Proposed amendments at a convention must pass with a simple majority (26 votes) to be forwarded to the states for ratification.

3. 38 state legislatures must approve it for the proposed amendment to become law.

What the Convention of States initiative has is:

1. States passing the resolution  in both houses of their legislature:  15

2. States wherein one chamber of the state legislature has passed the resolution (both chambers required):  8

3. States wherein an active lobbying effort is underway in the state legislature:  14

New York (and PA, OH, MI among others) has active lobbying of their state legislatures occurring right now by COS volunteers.. If you are a New York resident, you should be asking your candidates for the legislature (Senate & Assembly) where they stand on this, right now. Ask for a specific commitment to vote for this, ask for sponsorship, etc.  Get your friends and neighbors involved. Start your own online petition to them to encourage them to get onboard with this.  Same for residents of PA, OH, etc.

Do the math... I think that the COS organization is much closer to getting this done than anyone else.  If I am wrong, please correct me. We should support whatever will get us there as quickly as possible.

1724668902_ConventonofStatesmap.thumb.jpg.0857c151eafefe9b5b34256b58278b0f.jpg

Supporting Both might be the way to go …. Just a Thought !

7 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Supporting Both might be the way to go …. Just a Thought !

I think that can only hurt. A unified front is always best.  Anything less plays into the hands of those who want the status quo.

I do not think that a state legislature that has already approved the COS resolution will consider a competing one.  Without them doing that, it is almost impossible to get to the 34 required states for a convention. A state that has yet to vote on a resolution, may  vote for the "Term Limits" resolution and not the COS resolution.  Same story - You'll never get to the 34 required states with competing resolutions.  Schumer, Pelosi, and the rest of the swamp, both Democrats and Republicans, would love that approach.

• 2 weeks later...

I support all efforts to do this. I do not have high hopes for this route however.  Unless the Nov election re-elects Trump and installs a large Republican majority in the House and Senate, It will become simply a political talking point.  Even if the election does that, the Republicans have consistently shown that they cannot govern effectively when in power.  Unlike the Dems, they turn tribal. Look at Trump's first two years. There was a Republican majority in the Senate and House.  Trump fought as much with the "Never Trumpers" in his own party, guys like the vaunted Paul Ryan, as he did with the Dems. 

I could be wrong (someone please correct me if I am) but I think a super majority is needed in Congress for this to pass.  The Republicans do not have such a majority in the Senate and are a minority in the House.  This is expecting the swamp to begin to drain itself. That would require them to put country above their own personal politics, careers, and money. How many in our professional political class have EVER done that when it really counted? 

This is why Article V of the US Constitution exists.

Edited by silentdog
Format
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Listening to the Confirmation Hearing this morning and watching all these old folks trying to read their statement makes me sick ! So far two of them were elected , one back in 1980 and the next one back in 1976 , their party affiliation doesn't matter their being in office over 40 years is what matters !  As was mentioned before the Convention of States is probably the way to go , https://conventionofstates.com/

Perhaps a two pronged approach is also the way to go > https://www.termlimits.com/

Certainly its obviously needed , IMO !

TermLimits.jpg