Morels!!!

Al Bundy

Very cool find! Hopefully my patch will yield more soon. 

What’s your main factor for searching an area? Water source? Skunk cabbage? Certain trees(ash and apple I’ve read)?
The real new I found were in an old ash patch by a stream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your main factor for searching an area? Water source? Skunk cabbage? Certain trees(ash and apple I’ve read)?
The real new I found were in an old ash patch by a stream

Is skunk cabbage a good indicator? The land I was telling you about behind my brother in laws is loaded with skunk cabbage. I took a ride back there yesterday but didn’t really look.

15 minutes ago, Chef said:

Is skunk cabbage a good indicator? The land I was telling you about behind my brother in laws is loaded with skunk cabbage. I took a ride back there yesterday but didn’t really look.

Skunk cabbage edge was only place I’ve ever scored morels 

Skunk cabbage edge was only place I’ve ever scored morels 

Dam I’ll have to look there then tons of skunk cabbage in my new spot. Also going to be my new deer spot. Waiting for batteries to show up Wednesday, I guess I’ll go put out some cams and hunt for morels

• Like 1

The ash by us have been hit hard with the ash borer beetle. The patch I found was in a patch of ask that seem to be hit (bark scatter on the ground). It was a good 30 yards from the stream I was fishing so no real skunk cabbage up there

8 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

So, for the benefit of the morons, like myself, morels are a mushroom? What do you do with them? I assume you eat them, but how do you prepare them? What kind of dishes do you make with them?

Never heard of them before this thread. 

Mushroom yes. Earthy meaty taste.  Pan fried in butter as a side / on top of venison burgers. Yum. Only had a few times as not plentiful around here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used to find shopping bags full of morels when I lived in Illinois. It was a weekend ritual to load up in the truck and hit the woods looking for mushrooms, peckerheads (I'm sure there is a more common name, but that's what dad always called them) and we'd even find some beef steak mushrooms occasionally. Nothing better than friend mushrooms in the spring, but too many would have you staking a spot in the bathroom for a while. 

I haven't even been out to look for any since we have lived in NY, I had someone tell me that morels didn't grow here. Now I need to get out and take a look around. 

Here is a photo my brother sent me back at the end of March (growing season is reliably about a month ahead back in Illinois) of some that he found. 

90988363_10220684738645095_9050980618053091328_n.jpg

91198249_10220684738005079_5566762178121302016_n.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

So, for the benefit of the morons, like myself, morels are a mushroom? What do you do with them? I assume you eat them, but how do you prepare them? What kind of dishes do you make with them?

Never heard of them before this thread. 

Here is another way to cook them, just a few extra ingredients.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/sauteed-morel-mushrooms-recipe

• Thanks 1

I’ve never gathered morels, but accidentally saw them when setting up a shooting target on my land a few years ago. No skunk cabbage around. They are growing on a hillside under some hardwood. Nothing really special about the area, I just happened upon them. Went out yesterday and now there are a total of three growing. Not enough to eat yet. I’ll likely fry and put on ground venison if enough show soon. 

829239d5cc688d8259fb2645069a9682.jpg
Wtf!?!
This monster is right next to a little creek that runs through my mother’s complex. I found one or two in there last year (by chance) and decided to take a quick peak before delivering her dinner.

But is it odd that it grows alone or am I just not seeing more?

• Like 1