Morels!!!

Al Bundy

829239d5cc688d8259fb2645069a9682.jpg&key=e19a3b0b20b2e243b16fe9ede3bb95764fc7bc3b2790031c319d47222b0cbabc
Wtf!?!
This monster is right next to a little creek that runs through my mother’s complex. I found one or two in there last year (by chance) and decided to take a quick peak before delivering her dinner.

But is it odd that it grows alone or am I just not seeing more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I searched some woods by my house today high low and all around the skunk cabbage, not a one

Ash trees near that swampy crap?!? That seems to be my key

I’m pretty sure there are by my bother in law I’ll look there tomorrow.

Thanks

I always heard ash trees, but that was never a sure thing. Some of my best honey holes back home were abandoned railroad beds, no idea why.

I have heard that kind of like deer they are creatures of the edge. I’m thinking about checking the power line cut that runs the edge of the swamp

Nada for me too...walked around in Biz’s backyard(Hilltop Hanover farms). Some areas looked great but no luck

I’m also thinking with nighttime temps moving into the 50’s this week soil temps will rise and the morels will pop

They are such finicky things, just because 2 spots are the same doesn't mean they both have mushrooms. This probably comes down to spores just not being in one place vs another. We definitely had half a dozen spots that we would hit every weekend, and if you went some place else, you wouldn't be surprised to come up with zilch.

Sweet....clue us into the conditions if you don’t mind...swampy? Skunk cabbage? Elm or ash or apple trees? Other things???

I was Turkey hunting in all those conditions today when I was done I looked around and found none lol

On 5/11/2020 at 9:56 PM, Splitear_Leland said:

I always heard ash trees, but that was never a sure thing. Some of my best honey holes back home were abandoned railroad beds, no idea why.

Ties were chestnut and elm.. on old beds

, then turned to hemlock later 

• Like 1