If you go featureless?

Trying to decide between featureless and pinned mag. Seems a mag lock is a gray area. If you pin and weld a thread protector. How do you change a gas block if you need too?
If you're gonna go that route better off trying to get a target crowned barrel

Call Me The Teflon Don

I buy a thread protector that matches barrel diameter.   There is no specific guidance on how to turn a threaded barrel into a nonthreaded  barrel.  Most suggest pinning because that is permitted under federal law to make the pinned extension included for barrel length. I really doubt anyone would break chops over red loctite.  Just as permanent as pinned, can’t quickly toss on or off a suppressor and easier.  

• Like 2

And if you put on one of the ugly thordsen stocks (and I have a few) its a big message to any LEO that you are trying to comply with the safe act as no one in their right mind would chose a thordsen otherwise.  But they do work and are compliant.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

And if you put on one of the ugly thordsen stocks (and I have a few) its a big message to any LEO that you are trying to comply with the safe act as no one in their right mind would chose a thordsen otherwise.  But they do work and are compliant.

I was thinking put the barrel in a lathe and turning the threads off. I really dislike this mag lock I ordered. I just ordered a Gen III thordsen stock for the 10 and a Monsterman grip for the 15  since i have the A2 stock on that, along with thread protectors that are supposed to be the same diameter as the barrel. I figure I can always go back to the mag lock if I hate these. My 15 has been separated from the upper and hasn't left the safe since whenever the safe act passed. Its about time I get that back out and I want to use them both without fear of jail time....The whole thing is BS and I really try as hard as I can to be a law abiding citizen. To have to jump through these hoops to do some plinking and hunting is ridiculous. I really thought the safe act would be found unconstitutional by now.....

I was thinking put the barrel in a lathe and turning the threads off. I really dislike this mag lock I ordered. I just ordered a Gen III thordsen stock for the 10 and a Monsterman grip for the 15  since i have the A2 stock on that, along with thread protectors that are supposed to be the same diameter as the barrel. I figure I can always go back to the mag lock if I hate these. My 15 has been separated from the upper and hasn't left the safe since whenever the safe act passed. Its about time I get that back out and I want to use them both without fear of jail time....The whole thing is BS and I really try as hard as I can to be a law abiding citizen. To have to jump through these hoops to do some plinking and hunting is ridiculous. I really thought the safe act would be found unconstitutional by now.....

Just out of curiosity why do you dislike the mag lock? I have a few and love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Chef said:

Just out of curiosity why do you dislike the mag lock? I have a few and love them

I guess my biggest issue is the gray area that its in.....I don't hunt out my back door and I live in a neighborhood so any shooting I do, my firearms are traveling. I don't want any issues. I could probably fix it but the take down pin is so stiff I need a punch to pull it out which makes pulling the mag a PIA at least right now. 

I ordered a Thordsen Stock and a Monsterman grip since I have an A2 stock on my 15. I am going to try it all ways and see what I like best. I figure I can swap between mag locks or less scary looking stocks whenever I want. I am going to put thread protectors on both, I could careless about a muzzle brake or flash suppresser. 

43 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You can use a thordsen even with an A2 rifle buffer.  I use a thordsen gen 3 on one.   I tried a spur and did not like the lack of control.  Just felt lousy.  

This is what I ordered for the 15 with the A2 stock. I am guessing I won't love it. I am not expecting to love the Thordsen either. There really isn't anything other than a bunch of crappy options. Hopefully I will find one that is acceptable.....

https://monstermangrip.com/grips/monsterman-order-page

10 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

This is what I ordered for the 15 with the A2 stock. I am guessing I won't love it. I am not expecting to love the Thordsen either. There really isn't anything other than a bunch of crappy options. Hopefully I will find one that is acceptable.....

https://monstermangrip.com/grips/monsterman-order-page

Hope it works well for you.  I have several ARs with no prohibited features but the pistol grip.  It’s absurd that we need to jump through hoops for this.   Is the gun any less dangerous with that grip vs a pistol grip - silly.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Hope it works well for you.  I have several ARs with no prohibited features but the pistol grip.  It’s absurd that we need to jump through hoops for this.   Is the gun any less dangerous with that grip vs a pistol grip - silly.  

I figure worse case scenario is I pin the magazines.....I really don't want to do that if I can help it....

I guess my biggest issue is the gray area that its in.....I don't hunt out my back door and I live in a neighborhood so any shooting I do, my firearms are traveling. I don't want any issues. I could probably fix it but the take down pin is so stiff I need a punch to pull it out which makes pulling the mag a PIA at least right now. 
I ordered a Thordsen Stock and a Monsterman grip since I have an A2 stock on my 15. I am going to try it all ways and see what I like best. I figure I can swap between mag locks or less scary looking stocks whenever I want. I am going to put thread protectors on both, I could careless about a muzzle brake or flash suppresser. 

Which pin are you using the spring loaded pins make it much easier as well as the juggernaut I showed you?

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

Which pin are you using the spring loaded pins make it much easier as well as the juggernaut I showed you?

I'm using the one that I ordered with the maglock that I think you said sucks....

On 5/12/2020 at 10:11 AM, ApexerER said:

I gotta say outside of what guys say here , I don’t know any who are  NYS compliant . That includes three guys I know who got ARs since the ‘ rona started . My neighbor got one a couple, weeks back , he got two 30 round mags today . Two minutes a drill and Allen wrench ,and the pinned ten round drops free .

Very very few registered them, very few leave new ones pinned .

0204A6E2-25DB-4F0D-8283-5BF926567608.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Nomad said:

I gotta say outside of what guys say here , I don’t know any who are  NYS compliant . That includes three guys I know who got ARs since the ‘ rona started . My neighbor got one a couple, weeks back , he got two 30 round mags today . Two minutes a drill and Allen wrench ,and the pinned ten round drops free .

Very very few registered them, very few leave new ones pinned .

0204A6E2-25DB-4F0D-8283-5BF926567608.jpeg

I don't disagree. And as I stated before....All my firearms travel and they aren't going 5 minutes away. My lease is 45 minutes from my house. I haven't had my 15 out since the safe act. I want to be able to take it out without being worried about being made an example of. I want to be able to deer hunt with my 10 if I choose without worry. I can swap a stock back or any other feature. Its what is so awesome about the AR platform. If I was able to go out back and shoot like a lot of people....I wouldn't worry about it....